Going completely against the general mood here but I'll be happy with a season "quite a bit better" than last. Better football, more entertainment and no worry of relegation. In a nutshell, progress. That in itself would be a breath of fresh air after all the shit we've endured since the collapse of the Moore tenure.

38 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Of course I want us to win the every game, and I’m expecting us to. But we all know football doesn’t work like that. There’s a difference between expectation and realism.

For example- I don’t think he’ll be under pressure by board if we’re 8th in October. 

Of course we're not going to win every game.  But this season - more than any other in the last 31 years - the mentality within the club should be that we're going to.

In the Scousebusters FA Cup run, I remember Robbie Simpson saying something like "well we're not going to win the Cup, so we might as well get the biggest draw possible" after one of the games.  Strange that a professional sportsman had he already decided he's going to lose at some point!  I think Roy Keane - a proven winner - has said something like every team should have the ambition of winning every game, otherwise what's the point?  That's where we should be more than ever since 1990/91.

I don't think he will be under pressure from the board if we're 8th in October either.  But he has to - at some point - proves himself soon and I don't think he has yet in spite of the decent run from March.  As you say - if he gets us up then has a bad start to next season, he'll have proven he can do it so deserves a bit of leeway.  He hasn't really earned that leeway yet, though..

Edited by JoeP

Chesterfield seem ahead of us squad wise and also in their pre-season prep.

I think we’ll finish in the play-offs but I don’t back us to hold our nerve during those. 

We may win the League next season (24/25) and then the momentum could see us end up in League 1 very quickly. 

Will Unsworth be at the wheel for that? Doubtful.

I hope i’m proven wrong and we romp the league this season instead.

Edited by GKing521

41 minutes ago, redlion said:

Better football, more entertainment

Not going to happen. 

By all accounts he had us parked in our own half against *Hyde*

When we don’t win games this season it will be a grizzly watch.

Edited by GKing521

2 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

I think we’ll finish in the play-offs but I don’t back us to hold our nerve during those. 

We may win the League next year and then the momentum could see us end up in League 1 very quickly. 

I hope i’m proven wrong and we romp the league.

Why?

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I agree. I think he was given a 3 year deal as that's what they thought would be reasonable time to give someone to turn the club around and be serious promotion challengers. If he does it in year 2 it's probably overachieving on their initial plan. If we're playoffs then that's sufficient progress and he'll be given the 3rd year to seal it.

I think you've just made all that up.

48 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Of course we're not going to win every game.  But this season - more than any other in the last 31 years - the mentality within the club should be that we're going to.

In the Scousebusters FA Cup run, I remember Robbie Simpson saying something like "well we're not going to win the Cup, so we might as well get the biggest draw possible" after one of the games.  Strange that a professional sportsman had he already decided he's going to lose at some point!  I think Roy Keane - a proven winner - has said something like every team should have the ambition of winning every game, otherwise what's the point?  That's where we should be more than ever since 1990/91.

I don't think he will be under pressure from the board if we're 8th in October either.  But he has to - at some point - proves himself soon and I don't think he has yet in spite of the decent run from March.  As you say - if he gets us up then has a bad start to next season, he'll have proven he can do it so deserves a bit of leeway.  He hasn't really earned that leeway yet, though..

Yeah, agreed. 

Any manager should be judged on two things, his budget and the results he gets with it. If you take his reign as a whole so far- he’s done ok. Is ok good enough in the medium to long term- absolutely not. 

I think it’s important to differentiate though between what we expect and what the board expect. 

Given our budget, I think anything other than top three next season is a poor return, and he should go. BUT, I don’t think the club see it like that.

Let’s say he finishes 5th the club could say (quite rightly) he’s gone from 12th to 5th and he deserves more time- that has some merit. A lot of fans will say-  5th. . with that budget!? He has to go- and that has some merit. 

I just think we all to accept that unless he fucks it up badly he’s going nowhere. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, agreed. 

Any manager should be judged on two things, his budget and the results he gets with it. If you take his reign as a whole so far- he’s done ok. Is ok good enough in the medium to long term- absolutely not. 

I think it’s important to differentiate though between what we expect and what the board expect. 

Given our budget, I think anything other than top three next season is a poor return, and he should go. BUT, I don’t think the club see it like that.

Let’s say he finishes 5th the club could say (quite rightly) he’s gone from 12th to 5th and he deserves more time- that has some merit. A lot of fans will say-  5th. . with that budget!? He has to go- and that has some merit. 

I just think we all to accept that unless he fucks it up badly he’s going nowhere. 

The Southend manager has worked miracles while his team played great football. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, agreed. 

Given what he walked into it was commendable of the board to allow their guy to ride out the storm last season.

I don't think it is realistic to expect him to be given the same leeway if it was to happen again though.

15 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Given what he walked into it was commendable of the board to allow their guy to ride out the storm last season.

I don't think it is realistic to expect him to be given the same leeway if it was to happen again though.

Aye, I don’t think doing ok will get him sack. But if he goes on a run similar to pre Christmas- then that can’t be acceptable. 

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I think you've just made all that up.

As I wasn't there during the contract negotiations or in susbequent board meetings of course I've made all that up. I thought it was obvious I was just making assumptions when I started it by saying "I think..."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GKing521 said:

We may win the League next year and then the momentum could see us end up in League 1 very quickly. 

I hope i’m proven wrong and we romp the league.

Paragraph 1 - Chesterfield are ahead of us in both squad and prep

Paragraph 2 - Latics will finish top seven but not progress further 

Paragraph 3 - Latics may win the league next year and then quickly continue up into League 1

Paragraph 4 - Doubtful that Unsworth will be in charge to achieve Paragraph 3

Paragraph 5 - You hope that you’re proven wrong …

Proven wrong about what exactly?

Is it Paragraph 2 or Paragraph 3 or Paragraph 4 or all of ‘em?

😮

7 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Not going to happen. 

By all accounts he had us parked in our own half against *Hyde*

When we don’t win games this season it will be a grizzly watch.

That's very pessimistic. Over a long period, I've noticed many of your posts have a bleak tone. I realise it's been tough as a Latics fan since the "pinch me" years but I hope your real life is not as negative as your posts.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, redlion said:

That's very pessimistic. Over a long period, I've noticed many of your posts have a bleak tone. I realise it's been tough as a Latics fan since the "pinch me" years but I hope your real life is not as negative as your posts.

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic for the season ahead. We'll likely win a lot more than we lose and have a serious chance of promotion for the first time in a very long time!

I appreciate my response to you came across as rather blunt, but I really wouldn't expect entertaining football next season. It's just not how Unsworth rolls. 

I just hope his stifling style produces the results we need.

On 7/11/2023 at 2:23 PM, Monty Burns said:

bet Nuttall has got 10 before winter

He’ll do well to have scored 10 by the second week of September, after all that’s when winter starts at OL1 2PA this year (as we are away for the first week of September). 

I do fancy having a flutter on a number of Oldham players to be top scorer this year. Problem is I don’t know which one is most likely, essentially it’s the one who remains fit for longest. 

11 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

He’ll do well to have scored 10 by the second week of September, after all that’s when winter starts at OL1 2PA this year (as we are away for the first week of September). 

I do fancy having a flutter on a number of Oldham players to be top scorer this year. Problem is I don’t know which one is most likely, essentially it’s the one who remains fit for longest. 

l'm Pagan so it starts on the solstice and ends in March

11 hours ago, JoeP said:

In the Scousebusters FA Cup run, I remember Robbie Simpson saying something like "well we're not going to win the Cup, so we might as well get the biggest draw possible" after one of the games.  Strange that a professional sportsman had he already decided he's going to lose at some point!  

Jesus. Shocked because a League One player publicly said they weren't going to win the Cup? You must be shocked a lot. Not strange at all. To then compare little League 1 Robbie Savage with someone who was playing for the best club in the country...moronic

11 hours ago, GKing521 said:

We may win the League next season (24/25) and then the momentum could see us end up in League 1 very quickly. 

I hope i’m proven wrong and we romp the league this season instead.

Oh shut up you tart

14 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Jesus. Shocked because a League One player publicly said they weren't going to win the Cup? You must be shocked a lot. Not strange at all. To then compare little League 1 Robbie Savage with someone who was playing for the best club in the country...moronic

Oh shut up you tart

😂