Unsworth Out

21 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I think we’ll improve. Not to any acceptable position (in my opinion) but to hovering around the last playoff spot or ‘only’ a few points off it, which will be heralded as some sort of achievement and keep him in a job.

I agree, I think the odd victory will keep him in post. I’m sure I didn’t dream about the bar being lowered to “keeping us in the national league” when he arrived last season. The aim wasn’t promotion obviously but I’m sure we weren’t just talking about staying up when the season started with shez. I could be wrong on that but during all the positive chatter after the takeover and with Shez leaving us relatively ok I just don’t remember preserving our status in the NL being a thought. 

Latest I hear is he is to get to mid December before a decision is made.

View is as long as we are within a good run of the playoffs (like now) there is no need to panic. He's going to get time as long as he keeps us in the mix. If we are mid table in December and they HAVE to change manager the view is we can mount a run and get in the top 7.

1 hour ago, Shrek said:

View is as long as we are within a good run of the playoffs (like now) there is no need to panic. He's going to get time as long as he keeps us in the mix. If we are mid table in December and they HAVE to change manager the view is we can mount a run and get in the top 7.

That is not satisfactory. It's leaving it too late as far as I'm concerned because it will have to be be some winning run!! I'd give him until beginning of October and if there is no significant improvement and I mean a BIG improvement he should be gone. I'm hoping he'll fall on his sword sooner than later.......

1 hour ago, Shrek said:

Another ITK

40 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

That is not satisfactory. It's leaving it too late as far as I'm concerned because it will have to be be some winning run!! I'd give him until beginning of October and if there is no significant improvement and I mean a BIG improvement he should be gone. I'm hoping he'll fall on his sword sooner than later.......

If true- that will happen anyway, because if results carry on as they are,  by the end of Oct we’ll be well behind the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shrek said:

Nice theory but not sure the logic stacks up…..if we are within 5 points of the playoffs in mid December then that implies we have matched or bettered most teams results up to that point and they won’t fire him…..if, as feels more likely, we don’t then we will probably be much further adrift which will make it pretty hard for a new manager to come in and mount a serious play off challenge….he would almost certainly be talking about “having a full pre season” and challenging in 24/25!

9 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Nice theory but not sure the logic stacks up…..if we are within 5 points of the playoffs in mid December then that implies we have matched or bettered most teams results up to that point and they won’t fire him…..if, as feels more likely, we don’t then we will probably be much further adrift which will make it pretty hard for a new manager to come in and mount a serious play off challenge….he would almost certainly be talking about “having a full pre season” and challenging in 24/25!

Quite, they won't fire him if he's within a few points if the play offs. I may have not put it across properly. Whilst we are in with the pack chasing 7th it seems he'll be fine. They're willing to give him until mid December as they feel that gives any manager enough time to catch up.

There is genuine bemusement from senior staff and directors at the fans views. 

5 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Quite, they won't fire him if he's within a few points if the play offs. I may have not put it across properly. Whilst we are in with the pack chasing 7th it seems he'll be fine. They're willing to give him until mid December as they feel that gives any manager enough time to catch up.

If that's the case we are fucked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shrek said:

Buy the club, make a plan, call the shots.......

Frank bought the club, made a plan and presumably is calling the shots. Much of it is going to plan but not on the field of play which of course is what it's mainly about. Frank is on record in a Radio Manchester interview that top 5 is the target for this season and so far it's not happening and doesn't look like it will from what everyone has seen to date. Thats why it is not satisfactory........

Edited by IanMarshall's Mullet

Probably get drowned in the most recent ITK comments above, but there have been a lot of comments about Unsworth being a liar and talking rubbish about team selection. The recent no goalkeeper on the bench being an example.

So tonight the England manager after stating yesterday `it would be ridiculous' to make too many changes makes 6 changes and names 2 goalkeepers on the bench.

I said it the other week-who cares what they say any more-other than @TheBigDog

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Winning 1 out of our first 8 games doesn’t cause concern in the boardroom then.Very bemusing.

3 hours ago, Shrek said:

If this is the case, I wonder what James Norwood thinks of it, given his "Let's go win the league" video when he signed. 

Brought in under false pretenses?

On 9/11/2023 at 8:30 PM, deyres42 said:

As I said earlier, you have to earn the right to have high expectations. How do you earn it? Results. We haven't had a sustained period of good ones for many years.

Having a bigger budget than your rivals helps but you still have to spend it right.

Unsworth isn't a big character, he has shown weakness with things like I listen to my audience, two up front etc.

Any manager coming in now has to deal with a fanbase that expects to win virtually every game, that isn't for the lighthearted.

Wrong.We don't expect to win virtually every game.

But we do expect a manager to play his players in their correct positions, we expect after 50 games a manager to know his best team, best formation and tactics even if his decisions and choices are not winning games.So far Unsworth has failed in all aspects of his job.After 50 games I cannot see any advances. If only he would tell us what he's trying to do.I could accept things if he can explain why things are not working and could even forgive his failures if only he would explain.If we are being impatient as fans then tell us.Instead of sharing his failures he tries to pretend that all is well except for the refs and unlucky results.Us fans are not blind and we see how shit the tactics,formation,team selection is and it's all down to him.

Joey Bartons rant about D.U was spot on.D.U was no different at Everton and that's why I don't think he will ever be a good manager.Not here or anywhere else.I'm sure he's a nice bloke but he just can't manage.It upsets me to hear the crowd having a go but he must respect the fans.Time for him to explain what he's doing and why after 50 games it's not working.if not he should walk away.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Shrek said:

They’re not bemused- that would imply they’re stupid and incredibly naive about football. Which they’re not. Bemused is just a facade for ego about getting a key decision wrong, and putting a friend before the club. 

I think the board are genuinely hurt we won’t support must not lose negative football. There is an air of ‘we’ve got everything else right- so just trust us that despite results,  he’ll become a good manager based on the fact he’s our friend and we know him’  It genuinely wouldn’t surprise me that if they are ‘forced’ to sack him, there could be something from the club that while they’re sad to let him go, they didn’t feel the fans gave a chance. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, diggleblue said:

Wrong.We don't expect to win virtually every game.

But we do expect a manager to play his players in their correct positions, we expect after 50 games a manager to know his best team, best formation and tactics even if his decisions and choices are not winning games.So far Unsworth has failed in all aspects of his job.After 50 games I cannot see any advances. If only he would tell us what he's trying to do.I could accept things if he can explain why things are not working and could even forgive his failures if only he would explain.If we are being impatient as fans then tell us.Instead of sharing his failures he tries to pretend that all is well except for the refs and unlucky results.Us fans are not blind and we see how shit the tactics,formation,team selection is and it's all down to him.

Joey Bartons rant about D.U was spot on.D.U was no different at Everton and that's why I don't think he will ever be a good manager.Not here or anywhere else.I'm sure he's a nice bloke but he just can't manage.It upsets me to hear the crowd having a go but he must respect the fans.Time for him to explain what he's doing and why after 50 games it's not working.if not he should walk away.

Well at least he's got an easy one on Saturday. Even Unsworth  can't fail with that one .

7 hours ago, Shrek said:

Are they really that arrogant?, whip up the crowd, praise their passion and then shake their heads at us when we dare to disapprove, it's a long slippery slope if they've got that mindset. Fans are the club they keep telling us, I'm presuming that still stands?.

1 hour ago, Flemboy said:

Well at least he's got an easy one on Saturday. Even Unsworth  can't fail with that one .

Bet Hartlepool thought the same on Saturday and Boreham Wood before them. Or maybe you are setting youreself up for a told you so on Saturday. Cant believe some of the comments on here its laughable never knew we had so many moronic fans .