Unsworth Out

3 minutes ago, redlion said:

Let's not get carried away boys. We are in the shit at the moment with a team with zero confidence. We aren't going to become promotion contenders on Tuesday. Just enjoy the "Unsworths Gone" euphoria.

I predict an immediate upturn in form.  2 wins incoming.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I predict an immediate upturn in form.  2 wins incoming.

Let’s hope so, but we don’t want to fall into the trap of demanding ‘give it to Thompson.’ 
We need a proper manager next, and the appointment has to be right and not given someone on a whim, that so often happens when a caretaker manager gives a short term boost.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We need two midfielders never mind two wins.

They can improve them but if u understand they can’t really pass and utilise that properly I don’t see it as issue. Should have the goals and a solid enough defence to win a large chunk of games in this league 

24 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

We have an abundance of quality in both defence and attack. We have a void in quality in the centre of the park. Make of that what you will.

Correct, unlucky with Lundstram and Ward but right back also remains a problem and not finding the right partnerships at centre back and up front has cost us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laticsenior said:

Sad to see personal comments and abuse towards DU on both message boards and social media. Well out of order IMO and after more than 50 years a Latics fan another new low for the club.

Yep. 

He tried, and it didn’t work out. Good luck to him moving forward. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Let’s hope so, but we don’t want to fall into the trap of demanding ‘give it to Thompson.’ 
We need a proper manager next, and the appointment has to be right and not given someone on a whim, that so often happens when a caretaker manager gives a short term boost.

The statement talks about a recruitment process to replace Unsworth so hopefully no chance of that.

It's the right call by the board and I'd say it's the right time too for what must've been a tough call for them.  They've given him time to show that he's can do the job required and I've got nothing personal against Unsworth, but the sacking had to happen.

Thompson being in interim charge is a good thing too.  Been a manager before and has an important role at the club already so can't see him having ambitions to take the role permanently, so he should be fine to keep things ticking over until we find the right man.

I'd say this is the most attractive that the club has been to a new manager in years.  A good squad of players for this level already, no transfer windows and an ownership that's predominantly backed by the fans.  So I really feel that we don't have to appoint immediately (end of the month would work for me) and can make sure we get the right man for the job.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'd say this is the most attractive that the club has been to a new manager in years.  A good squad of players for this level already, no transfer windows and an ownership that's predominantly backed by the fans.

Yeah, if you look at Sheridan going at a similar time last year- we have a far better squad this time, so the new guy starts in a much better position than Unsworth did. 

1 hour ago, redlion said:

Let's not get carried away boys. We are in the shit at the moment with a team with zero confidence. We aren't going to become promotion contenders on Tuesday. Just enjoy the "Unsworths Gone" euphoria.

can't see it that. l predict a massive upswing in form IF the players are now allowed to play Football.

• Like 3

I think the Board deserve some credit here. They backed the manager, gave him time and budget, and were prepared to defend him and give him the chance to put things right.

But ultimately, when it became clear the situation was no longer salvageable, they were prepared to make the tough call to take the financial and personal hit of sacking someone they clearly respected. 

Perhaps there's an argument they should have moved sooner - but we're still only 9 games into the season, and I'd far rather have a Board with some patience than the kneejerk reactions we've become used to over the last ten years.

Good luck to DU. It didn't work out, but on a personal level I've got nothing against him. He'll learn from this, I'm sure. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

He'll learn from this, I'm sure.

Looking after a Premiership academy where the vast majority of the young players have speed, technical, and natural ability in abundance is light years away from this!

Dealing with seasoned players like Clarke, Rooney, Raglan & Freeman is a totally different ball game and they probably sussed him out very quickly!

I’m not sure he’ll have learned very much at all apart from a realisation that he’s not cut out for full time club management at this level or any other level for that matter.

Id be very surprised if he gets another job in football to be honest. The old saying…….

‘A successful footballer doesn’t necessarily make a successful manager’

has never been more appropriate than what we’ve witnessed here.

Coming from a coaching background in the elite division I dare say he’s improved our football development area and training methods no end but unfortunately I cannot remember any notable improvements he has made to our team or individual players in all the time he’s been here.

I don’t think the board had any other choice tbh and it was probably down to the amicable chats Frank had with some of our fans yesterday that sealed his fate!

I actually think he’ll be just as relieved as we all are!

After saying all that however, he seems a really nice guy and I wish him well.

Edited by oafc1955
  • Like 1