Unsworth Out

My last words on the subject*… let’s hope the ‘we need to show ‘patience’ lads’ aren’t on the wrong end of a discussion if we miss out on promotion by a small number of points. He should have gone much earlier. 

*unless of course we do miss out by only a small number of points. 😁

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

My last words on the subject*… let’s hope the ‘we need to show ‘patience’ lads’ aren’t on the wrong end of a discussion if we miss out on promotion by a small number of points. He should have gone much earlier. 

I don't want to be "I told you so" or anything because ultimately everyone has different opinions and all Latics fans want the same thing. But for me he should've gone at the end of last season, or pushed back into a coaching role/DoF type role. There was no point doing the kind of player recruitment we did when the manager was absolutely nowhere near the standard we needed. That was clear as day to me, but unfortunately not to the club.

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I don't want to be "I told you so" or anything because ultimately everyone has different opinions and all Latics fans want the same thing. But for me he should've gone at the end of last season. There was no point doing the kind of player recruitment we did when the manager was absolutely nowhere near the standard we needed. That was clear as day to me, but unfortunately not to the club.

I think the board like some of us that signing the players he wanted in the met would make us compete. 

I think the board new it wasn’t long term when we got beat against Halifax but wanted to give him and them a few more games hoping for a turn in results.

Alas this wasn’t to be the case, totally agree with your points made.

3 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

I think the board like some of us that signing the players he wanted in the met would make us compete. 

I think the board new it wasn’t long term when we got beat against Halifax but wanted to give him and them a few more games hoping for a turn in results.

Alas this wasn’t to be the case, totally agree with your points made.

I do understand that it would have been a difficult decision to sack him given the end to last season too. But this is such a tough division to get out of and those first 9 games have probably already cost us automatic promotion. 

22 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I do understand that it would have been a difficult decision to sack him given the end to last season too. But this is such a tough division to get out of and those first 9 games have probably already cost us automatic promotion. 

There are so many points to play for, i think we will be competing in the top 4 before Christmas. Who knows, we might go on a run now all season unbeaten 😬

On 9/25/2023 at 9:16 AM, Monty Burns said:

idiot is defo offensive, however you want to dress it up. 

the point is almost valid but ruined at the end. if it said that what Unsworth did was idiotic then it would have a salient post. as it stands it just looks a bit like kicking a man on the floor, as Bob says.

I never had him down as an idiot because of his footballing past and he wouldn't have got the job in the first place if he was.

More of a fool and a double barrelled one at that, never learned from his mistakes, ever, and if you don't do that, there's nowt down for you.

I wish him well as a person and hope he finds happiness somewhere else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Well there won't be any need for a discussion given we'll never know if a different manager would have gathered more points or not...

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Well there won't be any need for a discussion given we'll never know if a different manager would have gathered more points or not...

If the last 37 games turn out to be promotion form (when averaged over a full season) and the first 9 garnered a pathetic 7 points, then I think we can make a fairly safe assumption we would have achieved more points from that first 9 under a different manager. Denying that would be rather silly. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

If the last 37 games turn out to be promotion form (when averaged over a full season) and the first 9 garnered a pathetic 7 points, then I think we can make a fairly safe assumption we would have achieved more points from that first 9 under a different manager. Denying that would be rather silly. 

I don’t think we need to wait for the conclusion of the remaining games to come make the decision that winning 1 in 9 games was underperforming. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I don’t think we need to wait for the conclusion of the remaining games to come make the decision that winning 1 in 9 games was underperforming. 

I think that by that point the decision to change manager was unanimous.

Overall I think the board played it right they gave the manager enough opportunities to get it right while not leaving it too late so that the season slipped away from us.

What supporting this club for the last 33 years has told me and watching us under more managers than I can remember. Is that usually when we change manager while we might get abit of an upward trend in the results in the short term usually the problems that dogged the last manager rear their ugly head again often within 3-6 months. So I still think we will need to rebalance the squad at some point this season if we are to go up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Oh, so we can look at form if it's to say "I told you so" but not if it's to say we'll that form was great, have more patience. Your argument there is probably the reason be was kept on. The form at end of last season.

Too many on here dying to be saying the old I told you so. 

I could say now "we should have kept DU because he'd have turned it round and we would make the playoffs" then if we don't make the playoffs say "told you. Should have kept him". There'd be as much evidence to back that up as you saying what you are.

Of course we could just agree it's absolute fact that we will never know rather than trying to be the smug one saying I told you so

13 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Oh, so we can look at form if it's to say "I told you so" but not if it's to say we'll that form was great, have more patience. Your argument there is probably the reason be was kept on. The form at end of last season.

I could say now "we should have kept DU because he'd have turned it round and we would make the playoffs" then if we don't make the playoffs say "told you. Should have kept him". There'd be as much evidence to back that up as you saying what you are.

Of course we could just agree it's absolute fact that we will never know rather than trying to be the smug one saying I told you so

He was a shite manager, I'm sorry but I can't dress it up any other way. 

• Like 3

Reality is there is no 'control' ie we can't run both scenarios in real life.

I'm a great believer in points won in August/ September count the same as those in April/ May but whats done is done.

Win the next 4 and our rate for the season equates to Dale's, as would averaging a bit over 2 pts a game over the next 9. Both a bit of an ask but not impossible. The 'catch up rate' is less still over the whole season.

Might be Chesterfield are out of reach- them averaging over 2.5 pts per game. But lets see. Most teams have a wobble.

I have an unusual feeling- can anyone remember what optimism felt like?

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think that by that point the decision to change manager was unanimous.

Overall I think the board played it right they gave the manager enough opportunities to get it right while not leaving it too late so that the season slipped away from us.

What supporting this club for the last 33 years has told me and watching us under more managers than I can remember. Is that usually when we change manager while we might get abit of an upward trend in the results in the short term usually the problems that dogged the last manager rear their ugly head again often within 3-6 months. So I still think we will need to rebalance the squad at some point this season if we are to go up.

There will be the odd dip, but nothing like the last 9 games! He was a bad manager and couldn’t get the best out of the team!

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Calm down. 

26 minutes ago, latics22 said:

There will be the odd dip, but nothing like the last 9 games! He was a bad manager and couldn’t get the best out of the team!

We've concluded that, that debates over. 

Do I think the Board played it right overall yes.

Do I think we will still have to give this squad a couple of tweaks between now and the season also yes.

As things stand we are 5 points off the play offs with 105 points to play for. A long way to go yet so no reason why we can't go up.

Edited by GlossopLatic

59 minutes ago, disjointed said:

He was a shite manager, I'm sorry but I can't dress it up any other way. 

Not saying he wasn't good enough. I'm saying once something has happened and you'll never know what would have happened if you hadn't changed it you can claim what you want. Won't make you right or better than anyone else

13 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Calm down. 

Who isn't calm? Just stop pretending you know more than anyone else

6 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Can't help himself

He condones losing as oppose to winning 

Which leads me to believe he's another loser

Obviously not ehat I was saying but the point often slips straight over your head

Just now, mcfluff1985 said:

Not saying he wasn't good enough. I'm saying once something has happened and you'll never know what would have happened if you hadn't changed it you can claim what you want. Won't make you right or better than anyone else

Who isn't calm? Just stop pretending you know more than anyone else

Obviously not ehat I was saying but the point often slips straight over your head

calm down