MATCH: vs Aldershot (H) 12/08/23

25 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Didn't go yesterday, but looks to have been the perfect reaction to last week. Should be another convincing three points on Tuesday against a mediocre Halifax side before the big test next weekend...

Putting a positive spin on that "big test", let's remind ourselves that whilst Chesterfield have scored 4 in their two games, they have conceded 3 to the 2nd favourites for relegation and 2 against a mid to lower table side.

7-4 to us. Denominator.

Edited by L1onheartNew

2 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Putting a positive spin on that "big test", let's remind ourselves that whilst Chesterfield have scored 4 in their two games, they have conceded 3 to the 2nd favourites for relegation and 2 against a mid to lower table side.

7-4 to us. Denominator.

Indeed, reading some of the Chesterfield fans’ comments they say they’re potent in front of goal but weak in defence. 

52 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Didn't go yesterday, but looks to have been the perfect reaction to last week. Should be another convincing three points on Tuesday against a mediocre Halifax side before the big test next weekend...

Hopefully Dean Watson isn't reffing...

17 hours ago, kowenicki said:

This 4-4-2 thing might catch on. 

looked like a 424 on TV 🤣

both teams totally bypassed midfield so we have clearly addressed how to play against allottments. that's what we have done all summer.

can we play against Football teams? come on Rhino lad..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flemboy said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what their travelling fan who does match reports  has to say.

He looks like he is Ken Dodds love child with a ginger mop head,thick glasses and buck teeth and in their lingo looks a gurt lummox.

but luckily we don't judge people based on appearance..

• Like 4

7 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Without knowing anything about him, just looking at Wiki, it's clear he's decent. Played his whole career at a higher level. If he stays fit, we've got someone who's at least worthy of playing a div above 

l saw how our fans reacted on twitter and thought yep this guy be mega

What a difference a week makes…

There’s no denying that yesterday was a great attacking performance. 

Hogan had his best game in a Latics shirt and it was good to see that playing three/four centre backs was discontinued.

Nuttall took a while to get going but his partnership with Norwood looks promising.

Amazing what having two decent fullbacks in an attacking formation can do for a team and the crowd.

I don’t think there was a bad performance from any of the fourteen who played. 

I just hope that Unsworth doesn’t stick with his defensive approach away from home - play to our strengths.👍

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

But these things are always subjective so I’d be interested to hear from others who’ve been critical of the style of play what their thoughts were. 

It was superb yesterday, and the polar opposite to what Unsy has served up previously. Everybody at it, always looking for a forward pass, some lovely neat one touch football in small triangles. We hassled and bullied. 

I’ve said many times I’ll take Rhinoball as long as we win. 

But yesterday was different, it was - dare I say it, fast dynamic football. 😯If he sends them out like that on a regular basis, you won’t hear a peep from me again. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

7-4 to us. Denominator.

0-1 Peter Clarke the AI is saying. l think it has mastered humour or it's broke.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But yesterday was different, it was - dare I say it, fast dynamic football. 😯If he sends them out like that on a regular basis, you won’t hear a peep from me again. 

maybe he just tried to be a bit too clever last week.

hopefully there was a perfect storm of the above, southend on their seige wave and a touch of over arrogance from us as a whole (fans, club, attitude).

equally hopefully every single one of us learnt the lesson. that's impossible l hear you say. OK then just the more involved playery and staffy type people. southend has literally been parked. now we need to get out the car and do sumat..

19 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

Not for me, the lad threw himself down with a squeal looking for a free kick, which admittedly are all too often given. 

I was sat almost level with it and he pushed him over with his forearm.  Everybody round us couldn't believe we got away with it. 

11 hours ago, chickenbaltipie said:

Had the pleasure of bumping in to said Aldershot fan today, was genuinely interested in our history and I'm sure that will be reflected in his vlog. Travelled to every Aldershot home and away game last season which is real dedication. One thing I like about the NL is the quality of fans are 2nd to none. 

Great point. Refreshingly different to some of the tourists who inhabit "Premier" League grounds.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

maybe he just tried to be a bit too clever last week.

I think that’s exactly what it was. 

But to his credit- he didn’t stick his head in the sand and changed it straight away. It was also telling in his Post match presser, the interviewer said, ‘change in formation for this week what brought that about’? And he said, ‘I wanted us on the front foot straight away’ 

Happy days. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chickenbaltipie said:

Comedy should never be over-analysed. It's either funny or it isn't. There's a subtle difference between those who say funny things and those who say things funny.

Ken Dodd was never my cup of tea, but a few years ago my wife twisted my arm and we went to see him on a Sunday night in Malvern. He started at 7.30pm and with one interval (20-30 mins?) finally walked off stage at 1.00am. No support act. Quite amazing staying power. It was a bit sad in a way, looked like he lived for the buzz of a live audience and didn't want the show to end. I must have nodded off a couple of times at least, but some of his routine was genuinely funny. The whole thing was a bit surreal, like I'd dreamt it all.

I had to catch a 6am train to London on the Monday morning, having confidently expected he'd be finished by 10.30pm at the latest! Didn't realise he was famous for his shows going on and on.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Great point. Refreshingly different to some of the tourists who inhabit "Premier" League grounds.

Yeah, there’s no ego’s in non league. You’ve got humbled former EFL sides who are no position to gloat, or much smaller clubs happy to playing at their highest probable level. It’s a nice mix. 

1 minute ago, Worcester Owl said:

Ken Dodd was never my cup of tea, but a few years ago my wife twisted my arm and we went to see him on a Sunday night in Malvern. He started at 7.30pm and with one interval (20-30 mins?) finally walked off stage at 1.00am. No support act. Quite amazing staying power. It was a bit sad in a way, looked like he lived for the buzz of a live audience and didn't want the show to end. I must have nodded off a couple of times at least, but some of his routine was genuinely funny. The whole thing was a bit surreal, like I'd dreamt it all.

I had to catch a 6am train to London on the Monday morning, having confidently expected he'd be finished by 10.30pm at the latest! Didn't realise he was famous for his shows going on and on.....

Tickled me that.. 😁 

3 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

7-4 to us. Denominator.

Well they do have Banks in midfield..

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

But was his dad's dog dead at the time?