MATCH: vs Aldershot (H) 12/08/23

23 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

That was definitely the best all round  performance I've seen in quite a while. They simply looked the real deal with their movement, passing accuracy, and the goals - wow. Taking their foot off the peddle after the break was unnecessary. Resulting, in my opinion - their goal and a little pressure. 

I too give a plaudit to Freeman, an experienced attacking full back who delivered. He looks the real deal. As did Norwood and Dickenson. They galvanised us into an attacking unit. It's one game I know but today was way superior to the dross we've been served up for years. What a joy to see us taking the game to the opposition with speed and accuracy.

Was today a fluke? We're about to find out, but I dont think so.

I think you'll find that Dickensen is the real deal.

• Like 7

Loved that today. I was there last week and am struggling to believe that's the same team that performed so badly.

The 3 new signings were out all outstanding for me, especially Norwood (obviously) and Dickenson, and not just for the two goals, I thought he was outstanding defensively too.

The outstanding player on the pitch for me though (apart from Norwood, who was a class above anyone on the pitch) was Nuttall. I feel like one of the very few Latics fans who rate him, but today he showed what he's all about. 3 assists, he was a constant pest to their centre halves, some absolutely fantastic lay offs. You can already tell Norwood loves playing off him. I hope some of the boo boys can appreciate his performance today

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

The outstanding player on the pitch for me though (apart from Norwood, who was a class above anyone on the pitch) was Nuttall. I feel like one of the very few Latics fans who rate him, but today he showed what he's all about. 3 assists, he was a constant pest to their centre halves, some absolutely fantastic lay offs. You can already tell Norwood loves playing off him. I hope some of the boo boys can appreciate his performance today

Lots of people have criticised him because he’s been poor.  Today he was very good for the reasons you mention, and takes the praise. 

The things he did great at today, he wasn’t doing. If he keeps that up, nobody will have an issue. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Lots of people have criticised him because he’s been poor.  Today he was very good for the reasons you mention, and takes the praise. 

The things he did great at today, he wasn’t doing. If he keeps that up, nobody will have an issue. 

I don't think he has been poor.  It's no coincidence we scored more goals with him in the team last season. Of course he looks better with someone as good as Norwood next to him. But he's clearly a talented player.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing what their travelling fan who does match reports  has to say.

He looks like he is Ken Dodds love child with a ginger mop head,thick glasses and buck teeth and in their lingo looks a gurt lummox.

20 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I don't think he has been poor.  It's no coincidence we scored more goals with him in the team last season. Of course he looks better with someone as good as Norwood next to him. But he's clearly a talented player.

He didn’t hold the ball up- he did today.

He didn’t bring others into play- he did today.

He first touch was poor- today it wasn’t.

He got bullied/didn’t compete enough for the ball- today he was the bully. 

I can’t remember one assist last season- today he laid it on a plate.

Today was everything I thought we were buying 12 months ago, and hopefully he kicks on now- because it proves he can do it. 

I know you don’t see it the same way,  which is fine. So we’ll have to agree to disagree on his form prior to today. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what their travelling fan who does match reports  has to say.

He looks like he is Ken Dodds love child with a ginger mop head,thick glasses and buck teeth and in their lingo looks a gurt lummox.

Had the pleasure of bumping in to said Aldershot fan today, was genuinely interested in our history and I'm sure that will be reflected in his vlog. Travelled to every Aldershot home and away game last season which is real dedication. One thing I like about the NL is the quality of fans are 2nd to none. 

• Like 4

Freeman was like the missing piece of a 1000 piece jigsaw that you find down the back of the couch after a month of searching.

He was excellent.

In fact, the last three players to sign, who have had the least "time to gel" had the most impact on the flow of the play.

Every one else was very good.

Great day yesterday with the Lions, Lionesses and Latics all winning.

I am not a number, I am (a) Freeman.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

I met this so called Dodds love child today, what a top supporter of his local team and a total credit to the NL, he arrived last night and ready to get a good blog about the early history of oafc from the pine villa days, said how much he loved coming to Oldham today to do this, but he could do without knobs like yourself calling him out like this!!! 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Today was everything I thought we were buying 12 months ago, and hopefully he kicks on now- because it proves he can do it. 

I know you don’t see it the same way,  which is fine. So we’ll have to agree to disagree on his form prior to today. 

That's the beauty of a forum, we get to put our opinions across and see whether people agree or disagree. I know I'm very much in a minority with Nuttall but I've always maintained there's a proper player there and I think he's the best foil for Norwood. One game doesn't prove me right but I'm convinced he'll turn people around. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, L1onheartNew said:

Freeman was like the missing piece of a 1000 piece jigsaw that you find down the back of the couch after a month of searching.

He was excellent.

In fact, the last three players to sign, who have had the least "time to gel" had the most impact on the flow of the play.

Every one else was very good.

Great day yesterday with the Lions, Lionesses and Latics all winning.

I am not a number, I am (a) Freeman.

Without knowing anything about him, just looking at Wiki, it's clear he's decent. Played his whole career at a higher level. If he stays fit, we've got someone who's at least worthy of playing a div above 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Today Nuttall got proper service. Not just scraps. He should have had 6 assists today of that shitbag Norwood could learn to finish 

It’s only one game and we need to string those sort of performances and wins together over a longer period of time before we can be confident we’re real contenders this season. 

But there were a lot of things to be positive about. Overall I thought the first half was brilliant. Best in ages. We’ve heard a lot about how Unsworth will always be negative, always look to sneak wins on the counter, will never play good football and things like that. That was proved wrong yesterday in my opinion. But these things are always subjective so I’d be interested to hear from others who’ve been critical of the style of play what their thoughts were. 

Second half Aldershot had a go and had a good spell where they were threatening. The goal was poor as looked like Kitching tried to clear but got it wrong. Another positive though was that we didn’t retreat further and further like we would have done last season. We stuck it out and still looked to be positive going forward. 

Some great individual performances as others have discussed but for me it was the link up play that was a big positive. Overlapping fullbacks. Midfielders pushing forward. And we were threatening from all over the pitch. 

Hopefully this is the start now and we’ll see a lot more football like that on a regular basis. 

I thought the tone was set early with Dickenson and Kitching attacking as a pair down the left.  They put some great crosses in that could on another day have had us 2 or 3 nil up before we actually scored.  The difference that it makes having players that can go outside the fullback and cross is amazing.  I was critical of Nuttall early on in the game as he wasn't using his strength enough but when he got the bit of luck (he definitely fouled their player) to tee Norwood up for the first he grew into the game. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Oafc11 said:

I met this so called Dodds love child today, what a top supporter of his local team and a total credit to the NL, he arrived last night and ready to get a good blog about the early history of oafc from the pine villa days, said how much he loved coming to Oldham today to do this, but he could do without knobs like yourself calling him out like this!!! 

Sad times when there's an argument for and against some specky Cockney doing a blog about Aldershot. Who gives a fuck either way.

• Like 1

Excellent yesterday, the type of football we all want to see. Plenty of options, great goals, and despite a dodgy spell midway through the second half, we kept up it to the end.

Central to it all to me though was Norwood. What a signing he’s going to be. He’s one of those players that will make all those around him better, and his partnership with Nuttall worked a treat.
They set the bar with that yesterday. Time will tell if it was us who were that good or Aldershot that bad, a bit like last week in reverse. We’ll see what the next few weeks bring first, but for the first time in a long time I walked out of Boundary Park with a big smile on my face having thoroughly enjoyed the game of football.

Keep it up lads!

• Like 2

It's all been posted about the performance and contributions from certain individuals. The big take for me was I walked out feeling entertained and time had flown. A clear sign of good football. 

Also the fact the Chaddy was shut didn't hinder the atmosphere. 

Edited by Lags
  • Like 2