MATCH: vs Chesterfield (A) 19/08/23 - 12.30 KO

Some saying DU is “toxic” is something that I cannot accept without calling it wrong.  The man it trying his best to be successful.   The question, which will continue to be answered by results, is if his best is good enough to help us get promotion.

I understand people saying that in their opinion he isn’t good enough, but toxic?  That type of talk will influence those fans inclined to be bullies to try to force the club to sack the manager they now see as “toxic”. Hence the awful behaviour seen from some yesterday.

I am personally in the camp of “I doubt he is a good enough manager”, but while he is still our manger and trying his best, I’m going to hope each game he comes good.  If he keeps under scoring the number of points we need, he will be gone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Some saying DU is “toxic” is something that I cannot accept without calling it wrong.  The man it trying his best to be successful.   The question, which will continue to be answered by results, is if his best is good enough to help us get promotion.

I understand people saying that in their opinion he isn’t good enough, but toxic?  That type of talk will influence those fans inclined to be bullies to try to force the club to sack the manager they now see as “toxic”. Hence the awful behaviour seen from some yesterday.

I am personally in the camp of “I doubt he is a good enough manager”, but while he is still our manger and trying his best, I’m going to hope each game he comes good.  If he keeps under scoring the number of points we need, he will be gone.

Absolutely correct. 

54 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'd watch that again. I didn't see Grigg miss a sitter. Certainly no easier than Norwood's chip at 0-0.

Struggling to believe what I'm reading in general. This board is becoming toxic on a scale that rivals the Lemsagam times. And that really is ridiculous.

It's like all logic and reason are out the window.

When it comes to last season, the play off form of the 2nd half of the season is supposedly to be ignored. But the style of play for the season is to be held against him.

Anything positive is the exception, or luck, or stumbling onto a formation or player. Things he says in the media are taken as gospel and club mentality. We have no idea what he's saying to the players off camera but I'd bet it's different to what he says in public.

If you apply a bit of logic and reason, then a line should be drawn under last season - the circumstances were very different. Yes it wasn't a great watch at times but the results were there and that should be enough for most people to accept him keeping his job. Or at least to accept the board's decision to keep him in the job.

So it's on to this season...

Southend - I haven't seen any of this game but by all accounts it was awful. Justified criticism.

Aldershot - saw this as was on holiday. We destroyed them. Relative quiet - a few saying he's basically bought their silence for 1 game.

Halifax - only saw the first half in the airport. Not seen the rest as national league tv hasn't seen fit to put that full match replay up. But from what I saw it was a decent performance in an even game. Unnecessary meltdown. 

Chesterfield - went with a specific game plan and it worked to an extent. Absolutely hysterical reaction to an away point against a team with 9 points and 10 goals in 3 previous games.

4 games.  Based on these games I don't see what the board's reason would be for sacking him. Especially when 3 of his probable starting midfield are out injured.

Everyone is whipping each other up in to a frenzy about this attacking mentality thing - hence the boos and the chants after 30 minutes yesterday. Same goes for Nuttall. The stick he is singled out for is totally unwarranted. Even getting blamed for their goal just because the ball went over him. He's not 8 foot tall!

I never would normally suggest this, but I wonder if the club needs to say something? I don't know what exactly, but something to try and calm everyone down. Because this level of hysteria is going to continue every game unless it's a performance like Aldershot, which is totally unrealistic. 

Based on watching Chesterfield yesterday, this league won't be won with 100 points. Everything is up for grabs.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I never would normally suggest this, but I wonder if the club needs to say something? I don't know what exactly, but something to try and calm everyone down. 

The reason that the toxicity levels have increased is down to two things - expectation and agenda.

Expectation:

We have recruited well in the close season and expectations are high - this is reflected in the home attendances and in the numbers we take away.

Agenda:

Many of our fan base have an agenda:

Unsworth cannot hack it and Nuttall/Shelton/Hogan etc are stealing a living.

Any slight failure to deliver on the pitch is greeted with an outburst of vitriol and deep rooted prejudices come to the fore.

If the CEO, Darren Royle, was to come out and ask for patience and for the fans to stick with the management and players it may not be a bad thing.

However - if this kind of statement was forthcoming, it also adds to the fans expectations.

And by doing so, it would mean (in my opinion) that Unsworth then has to deliver or he will be moved on.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The reason that the toxicity levels have increased is down to two things - expectation and agenda.

Expectation:

We have recruited well in the close season and expectations are high - this is reflected in the home attendances and in the numbers we take away.

Agenda:

Any slight failure to deliver on the pitch is greeted with an outburst of vitriol and deep rooted prejudices come to the fore.

If the CEO, Darren Royle, was to come out and ask for patience and for the fans to stick with the management and players it may not be a bad thing.

However - if this kind of statement was forthcoming, it also adds to the fans expectations.

And by doing so, it would mean (in my opinion) that Unsworth then has to deliver or he will be moved on.

It’s always been the same, sadly. I remember having to stand near certain chimps screaming at Neil Pointon that his corners were “shit” and even berating Neil Adams for abandoning the wing and coming into the box to score 2 goals in one match. Now we have a bunch of hysterical keyboard warriors picking up on a Twitter rumour with pages of meltdown/ vitriol about how things are so poor that Norwood wanted to leave after one game - given his performances and the interview yesterday, I feel that they may be mistaken. It’s not enough to stop me supporting OAFC and all that Frank / Darren are doing, but it doesn’t enhance the experience. 

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Expectation:

Agenda:

Agree with the expectation and agenda. And on a statement, it’s a tough one as it could cause more issues than it helps. If not a statement then maybe an interview with Darren across a range of subjects where expectations for the season are discussed briefly. I just feel it needs addressing in some way as I can see it potentially derailing our season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Agree with the expectation and agenda. And on a statement, it’s a tough one as it could cause more issues than it helps. If not a statement then maybe an interview with Darren across a range of subjects where expectations for the season are discussed briefly. I just feel it needs addressing in some way as I can see it potentially derailing our season. 

See your point but for me it would just add fuel to the fire, more words to be twisted.

Best to just completely ignore the noise, we know it will go quiet with a couple of wins, if it gets to a point where a decision needs to be made then I'm sure it will be done.

Not going to get into the Unsworth out debate as it’s been done to death. Delighted with the point, but overall thought it was a poor game of football, with neither side playing well. Based on that, I’m not sure why he’s presenting the title to Chesterfield

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

I agree, toxic is a strange word to use. 
i want him to do well and he surely does. The way he’s trying to do it on the pitch is bizarre in my opinion and needs to change, totally unnecessary way of playing, particularly with the squad we have now. If this carries on (results wise) the word inept will probably spring to mind but not toxic. 

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

See your point but for me it would just add fuel to the fire, more words to be twisted.

Best to just completely ignore the noise, we know it will go quiet with a couple of wins, if it gets to a point where a decision needs to be made then I'm sure it will be done.

You’re probably right which is why I thought maybe them indirectly discussing it as opposed to an outright vote of confidence. 

But I disagree about a couple of wins quietening it down. I think we could take 11 from the next 5, then have an off day and we’d be right back where we are now. I think there’s pretty much zero tolerance amongst some of the fan base and unfortunately that noise has expanded past social media and onto the terraces. 

There is no doubt that 6 points from the next 2 games would mean we aren’t falling to far behind the top 7, and fans as a whole ( not the opinionated ones granted) would be OK with this manager having a bit longer. 

I have heard it said many times that the league tablet after 10 games usually represents close to the finishing positions, apart from only 2 or 3 big movers.

If we are there abouts after 10 games, fair enough to delay any decision, but bottom half and I would like to see a decision. 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

You’re probably right which is why I thought maybe them indirectly discussing it as opposed to an outright vote of confidence. 

But I disagree about a couple of wins quietening it down. I think we could take 11 from the next 5, then have an off day and we’d be right back where we are now. I think there’s pretty much zero tolerance amongst some of the fan base and unfortunately that noise has expanded past social media and onto the terraces. 

Oh every defeat or setback is going to be met with hysteria, that's a given now.

He's going nowhere at the minute though so for me I'd be scaling everything back media wise, don't give them any ammo.

22 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Not going to get into the Unsworth out debate as it’s been done to death. Delighted with the point, but overall thought it was a poor game of football, with neither side playing well. Based on that, I’m not sure why he’s presenting the title to Chesterfield

Happy with a point as well against the champions 🙄🙄🙄

Last season imo Chesterfield were a better team against us.

We have to get in the top 7 and stay there, that’s the only way people will calm down imo.

I am not an Unsy fan, but I am still slightly shocked with what happened yesterday. 

In fairness, his tactic was to sit back and limit chances and hope Norwood scores. Agree with the tactic or not, it worked. 

17 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

did you sneak out? we didnt go down with a whimper we equalised and fans started trading blows on the pitch. it was great TV.

Monty hang your head in shame....watching Oldham supporters trade blows on the pitch and assault the oppo keeper is NOT great TV. It's fucking embarrassing for the club and the majority of fans, and will no doubt have serious repercussions.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I like the Chesterfield player Mandeville. If ever he became available, I'd hope we'd be in for him. He's been decent on a few occasions against us over the years...

He was in the Morecambe side that won 2-1 at BP during Scholes first game incharge

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

That was a generic template statement, anything else will be more personal you'd think.

I think they should heed your advice and stay shtum, leave it up to Darren given he's the one making the decisions and will back his man whatever. Rothwells just need to keep a low profile particularly when all the nob heads are playing out.

• Like 1