BPAS PODCAST: 21st Aug ‘23, S4E5: R.E.S.P.E.C.T

1 hour ago, dannyboy55555 said:

So you’re literally basing your opinion on a managerial change on one game v Halifax as if we’d won that we’d be in the playoff places.

No, that is not the case at all. I am basing the fact I wouldn’t mind seeing him leave his role based on the football we have played since he’s joined. I don’t believe the narrative that last season doesn’t count. It does count, because the style of play is exactly the same. If we had substantially changed our style of play then I would be more inclined to agree that last year maybe shouldn’t be as heavily weighted when considering performance matters this season. - So the reason why I wouldn’t mind seeing him gone is based on almost a full season at this point. 

In any case, you mention that one game V Halifax. I said I would give him 10 to 15 games this season, and if he is not in the playoffs he has to go for me. If we are way off at 10 games, get rid. If we are on the edge then give him some extra games. That’s fair in my opinion, and benchmarked against his target set by the owner of being “well into the play offs”. - You can argue that 10/15 games is not enough, that’s your opinion. But based on what I have seen last season, if we are not meeting the target 10 to 15 games in, I don’t believe in Unsworths ability to meet the target and don’t want us to waste time and to be playing catch up all season. 

My comment that you replied to was actually about the feeling amongst the fans. I feel if we got into the play offs, and comfortably could stay in them, the fans would ease off and I think you’d find most would actually take that. You are always going to get a vocal minority that will still want him gone. 

At the end of the day, people will have opinions and expectations, each of those will be different. To say it’s ridiculous that someone wants him out, could be perceived the same on the different side of the argument that people find it ridiculous you still want him in charge. 

I am not won over by Unsworth, I want him to prove me wrong. Do I chant DU blue white army, no. Do I chant I want Unsworth out or the football is shite, no, I actually cringe, because I want him to succeed. 

Ultimately, results will determine what the outcome is. So hopefully we get 6 points over the bank holiday. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

this was addressed in the post match DU. we are not one dimentional and if we want to be long term succesful it starts on a solid foundation. not interested in losing 5-3 by going toe to toe with a team that is a couple of years ahead of us.

Why are we frightened of Chesterfield and bigging up Boreham Wood and Solihull?

With the clubs reported budget they should sweep this league aside with the dynamic football the manager said he'd like to see.

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

The post I replied to suggested it's always defensive. I pointed out in half the games we've played this season it's been good quality attacking football.

If the expectation is that we should be all out attack in every game, home or away, then I think that's a totally unrealistic and unfair expectation.

I didn't see Wrexham and Notts County adopt a negative approach.

They knew the way forward was to be positive home and away in this mediocre division.

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Why are we frightened of Chesterfield and bigging up Boreham Wood and Solihull?

With the clubs reported budget they should sweep this league aside with the dynamic football the manager said he'd like to see.

lno yeah l understand and also DU said it in pre season aswell so theres another dart for the contradiction ladz. but they know more than us and lm trusting Frank.

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

No, that is not the case at all. I am basing the fact I wouldn’t mind seeing him leave his role based on the football we have played since he’s joined. I don’t believe the narrative that last season doesn’t count. It does count, because the style of play is exactly the same. If we had substantially changed our style of play then I would be more inclined to agree that last year maybe shouldn’t be as heavily weighted when considering performance matters this season. - So the reason why I wouldn’t mind seeing him gone is based on almost a full season at this point. 

In any case, you mention that one game V Halifax. I said I would give him 10 to 15 games this season, and if he is not in the playoffs he has to go for me. If we are way off at 10 games, get rid. If we are on the edge then give him some extra games. That’s fair in my opinion, and benchmarked against his target set by the owner of being “well into the play offs”. - You can argue that 10/15 games is not enough, that’s your opinion. But based on what I have seen last season, if we are not meeting the target 10 to 15 games in, I don’t believe in Unsworths ability to meet the target and don’t want us to waste time and to be playing catch up all season. 

My comment that you replied to was actually about the feeling amongst the fans. I feel if we got into the play offs, and comfortably could stay in them, the fans would ease off and I think you’d find most would actually take that. You are always going to get a vocal minority that will still want him gone. 

At the end of the day, people will have opinions and expectations, each of those will be different. To say it’s ridiculous that someone wants him out, could be perceived the same on the different side of the argument that people find it ridiculous you still want him in charge. 

I am not won over by Unsworth, I want him to prove me wrong. Do I chant DU blue white army, no. Do I chant I want Unsworth out or the football is shite, no, I actually cringe, because I want him to succeed. 

Ultimately, results will determine what the outcome is. So hopefully we get 6 points over the bank holiday. 

This is bang on point and a well balanced view👍

I think most would put up with Unsworths tactics and back foot first football if we were winning more games but to date we are not.

We have 5 fit strikers who most would perceive as all being pretty good at our level FFS so use them better.

He's also beginning to sound like Klopp with his constant moaning in pressers and newspapers, about refs, too many games, etc which doesn't help with getting fans on board. Just get on with it and take more accountability.

As LightDN eloquently states let's see where we are after 10 then 15 games, and take it from there.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

This is bang on point and a well balanced view👍

I think most would put up with Unsworths tactics and back foot first football if we were winning more games but to date we are not.

We have 5 fit strikers who most would perceive as all being pretty good at our level FFS so use them better.

He's also beginning to sound like Klopp with his constant moaning in pressers and newspapers, about refs, too many games, etc which doesn't help with getting fans on board. Just get on with it and take more accountability.

As LightDN eloquently states let's see where we are after 10 then 15 games, and take it from there.

But if you are one of those who doesn't think he's the man now then he can't be the man in 5/10 games time surely?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I didn't see Wrexham and Notts County adopt a negative approach.

They knew the way forward was to be positive home and away in this mediocre division.

If we're using them as an example, do you think it's reasonable to expect that we should be finishing on 107-111 points this season?

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Don't talk shite, Unsworth has been in a charge for a full season almost, if it was up to me I would have cut him loose in the summer. 

I see the respect title passed you by.

Yes in charge a full season in terms of matches , but spread over two seasons where re-building tends to happen in between.

It is only this season that he has all his own players. Judge him from that as you can't start the judgement from day one with all the problems the club had to deal with early on.

The reason people are quoting how long it took other teams is because these are facts. We would be an exception rather than the norm to get promoted so quickly.

Regarding a full season, I would guess there are not many managers who have completely re-vamped a team and got promoted so quickly and yes there will be some, but again I think this would be an exception.

So i am guessing you want an exceptional manager who produces instant results . Yep they are queuing up.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

But if you are one of those who doesn't think he's the man now then he can't be the man in 5/10 games time surely?

Honestly, you clearly want him in charge which is fine. But you’re more entrenched in your view than people who want him out, as your post evidences. 

You are equally as much as an issue than those who are only set on him leaving the club. 

He’s clearly stating he’s not convinced currently, but he is open to seeing how we get on which may lead to him changing his mind. 

Stop being a prick. 

12 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Honestly, you clearly want him in charge which is fine. But you’re more entrenched in your view than people who want him out, as your post evidences. 

You are equally as much as an issue than those who are only set on him leaving the club. 

He’s clearly stating he’s not convinced currently, but he is open to seeing how we get on which may lead to him changing his mind. 

Stop being a prick

It's really hard for him.....as most on this board will know

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I'm repeating myself here a bit, but I'm not sure how you can say the style of play hasn't changed at all? The style of play in the 2 home games so far was very different to last season.

The away games we've had are probably the 2 hardest aways we'll have this season. Southend was a shit show, but there were unusual circumstances (Unsworth ill, late injury disruption, Ward off injured, Sutton sent off). But Chesterfield was a specific game plan.

It feels like people are taking that Chesterfield game plan and deciding that's how we've played in all 4 games and therefore how we will play in the remaining 42. I don't think that's particularly rational. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Stop being a prick. 

Not bothered if he stays in charge or not, far from entrenched.

Hard to take someone seriously if they are changing their mind based on such small sample sizes.

Try being respectful to others who may have a different viewpoint from you.

11 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I'm repeating myself here a bit, but I'm not sure how you can say the style of play hasn't changed at all? The style of play in the 2 home games so far was very different to last season.

The away games we've had are probably the 2 hardest aways we'll have this season. Southend was a shit show, but there were unusual circumstances (Unsworth ill, late injury disruption, Ward off injured, Sutton sent off). But Chesterfield was a specific game plan.

It feels like people are taking that Chesterfield game plan and deciding that's how we've played in all 4 games and therefore how we will play in the remaining 42. I don't think that's particularly rational. 

Not just Chesterfield - pretty much all of last season too..

I'm not sure Halifax at home can be held up as a beacon of progress (although Aldershot can, granted.)

Just now, JoeP said:

I'm not sure Halifax at home can be held up as a beacon of progress (although Aldershot can, granted.)

This seems to need repeating far more than it should but we were playing under different circumstances last season.

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

But last season was different to this. Different players, different aims, having a pre season vs not having one etc. The key words are "progression" and "change". One of the main arguments for those who are strongly Unsworth out is that there's been no change or progression in attacking intent or style of play since he started.

When presented with evidence that there has been you can't ignore it and say, well it wasn't like that last season. That makes no sense.

Whether that change/progression is large or fast enough for some people is a different matter. But you can't honestly say there's been none.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Genuine question - How do you think he will set up at Boreham Wood tomorrow?

Do they have better players than us - No

Are they a stronger squad than us  - No

Do they score loads of goals at home - No

Do they concede a lot of goals at home - No

Based on this would you expect him to set up to dominate possesion and the game tomorrow??

I'd bloody hope so as this is fucking Boreham Wood....with less than 1,000 home fans!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not bothered if he stays in charge or not, far from entrenched.

Hard to take someone seriously if they are changing their mind based on such small sample sizes.

Try being respectful to others who may have a different viewpoint from you.

I respect others views. Funny how you are saying you can’t take someone’s view seriously and then the next sentence pull me up for not respecting others views. Comical. 

50 odd games at that point isn’t a small sample size for football managers. 

2 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Genuine question - How do you think he will set up at Boreham Wood tomorrow?

Do they have better players than us - No

Are they a stronger squad than us  - No

Do they score loads of goals at home - No

Do they concede a lot of goals at home - No

Based on this would you expect him to set up to dominate possesion and the game tomorrow??

I'd bloody hope so as this is fucking Boreham Wood....with less than 1,000 home fans!!

I really hope we are not set up like the Chesterfield game. We shouldn't need to be. 

My gut feeling is that he'll generally treat home and away games differently - go for it from the start at home, be a bit more cagey away. But I don't think he'll be as defensive as the Chesterfield game again. 

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

But last season was different to this. Different players, different aims, having a pre season vs not having one etc. The key words are "progression" and "change". One of the main arguments for those who are strongly Unsworth out is that there's been no change or progression in attacking intent or style of play since he started.

When presented with evidence that there has been you can't ignore it and say, well it wasn't like that last season. That makes no sense.

Whether that change/progression is large or fast enough for some people is a different matter. But you can't honestly say there's been none.

I didn’t watch the Aldershot game unfortunately. But the 3/4 games I have been to, the same pattern was to be seen. We sat back, let them have possession, opposition controlled the midfield, and didn’t notice any passages of play. 

You expect us to be generally better, he has been given quality players, that will naturally cause an improvement, that’s not down to the manager in my opinion. 

But the way we set up, pressing, intent, clear passages of play. That is down to the manager and I have seen very little difference in all honesty from last season to this so far. 

To be honest, the Chesterfield game showed me that Unsworth does have some tactical ability about him, and he can setup a structured defensive team. It was one of the best tactical demonstrations he has shown since being at the club in my opinion. He has a clear plan, he set them up, and they executed it well. Not spot on, as that would have been 3 points, but well. 

But he needs to be able to do the other side, and set us up attacking and aggressively. 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

I didn’t watch the Aldershot game unfortunately. But the 3/4 games I have been to, the same pattern was to be seen. We sat back, let them have possession, opposition controlled the midfield, and didn’t notice any passages of play. 

You expect us to be generally better, he has been given quality players, that will naturally cause an improvement, that’s not down to the manager in my opinion. 

But the way we set up, pressing, intent, clear passages of play. That is down to the manager and I have seen very little difference in all honesty from last season to this so far. 

To be honest, the Chesterfield game showed me that Unsworth does have some tactical ability about him, and he can setup a structured defensive team. It was one of the best tactical demonstrations he has shown since being at the club in my opinion. He has a clear plan, he set them up, and they executed it well. Not spot on, as that would have been 3 points, but well. 

But he needs to be able to do the other side, and set us up attacking and aggressively. 

We didn't sit back and let Halifax have possession though in my view. We had 63% for starters. We played very similarly to the Aldershot game, overlapping full backs, attacking down the wing, lots of passing and moving. It was a great passage of play that lead to Sheron's shot being deflected for the corner we scored from. They just put up a much better defensive performance than Aldershot did.

Doesn't mean we were perfect against Halifax of course. But the intent and the passing including keeper throwing it out was a big difference to last season.

Don't take my word for it, Roy even said "well we've given it a really good go" or words to that effect!

• Like 2

Thought the first half was good against Halifax. Just as it was against Aldershot. It was pressing with intent and we mounted pressure up well, which they coped with on the whole. 

Second half was a shocker really, and the goal was a bit of a sucker punch. I can't recall any clear cut chances they had, and once we went 1-2 down we huffed and puffed a bit.

On the whole though, I saw improvements with our play compared to last season. And know there is still so much room for improvement.