BPAS PODCAST: 21st Aug ‘23, S4E5: R.E.S.P.E.C.T

17 hours ago, Steve_R said:

Think I’ll give the pod a swerve for a while. Anyone who says “we can all have an opinion, but shut the fuck up”  really needs to heed his own advice.

16 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Matt didn't actually say that but if you want to get angry at someone for holding an opinion they don't have then knock yourself out.

13 hours ago, kowenicki said:

He did to be fair, in those exact words. I think Matt may secretly regret his rant a little, he’ll never admit it of course. It was all a bit silly.

I think the clowns shouting and screaming obscenities at Unsworth should just be ignored. It’s not difficult. 

I've listened to it again and Matt was talking about the people who say they love the club, love Frank, but hate Unsworth. He said:

" . . . we hate this fucking manager, and we're going to fucking get on his back - and that is disrespectful to the board . . . it's self-centered, it's disrespectful, it's selfish; and if you're one of those people, just give your fucking head a wobble, and shut the fuck up. You're entitled  to your opinion, but shut the fuck up, because you are not contributing to the future success of this football club."

I agree with Matt's sentiments, but I think I would have put them slightly differently.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

I've listened to it again and Matt was talking about the people who say they love the club, love Frank, but hate Unsworth. He said:

" . . . we hate this fucking manager, and we're going to fucking get on his back - and that is disrespectful to the board . . . it's self-centered, it's disrespectful, it's selfish; and if you're one of those people, just give your fucking head a wobble, and shut the fuck up. You're entitled  to your opinion, but shut the fuck up, because you are not contributing to the future success of this football club."

I agree with Matt's sentiments, but I think I would have put them slightly differently.

yes thats exactly what he said and the russian propaganda type smearing against DU by the AgendaLads has resulted in me parking my concerns so as not to be tarred with their half truth russian nazi inspired lying brush.

Matt Dean is one of the best things to ever happen to us and more people have ended up jealous about it than needs to be by a mile. the irony is that if any of the AgendaLads were even half capable of doin what Matt had done he would probably step aside for them!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaticMark said:

Thanks for clarifying Mark. 

I do believe it was directed at the more vocal critics rather than say some of the more constructive critics but if I'm wrong I'm wrong and fair enough.

I don't think it's a good idea for Matt to get into a tit for tat argument with people on twitter over this its not going to do anyone any favours getting into somekind of internal fighting.

That said I find the people vocally giving the manager grief or those who sarcastically cheer everytime Joe Nuttall is substituted are worse. All they are doing is creating disharmony and conflict when it's not needed. We don't need to go straight to toxic anymore it's not required this is not the Lemsagam era and we don't need to kick up a stink.

Its interesting seeing people guestimate James Norwoods wages recently, you realise we as fans only have part of the information. The people who have all the information on this are the board of directors. They know what the level of the budget is, what each player was on, how well we recruited in the summer, and if the management team is getting the best out of this group of players. From there and with all that information they have to make the right decisions for the club.

The question we need to be asking ourselves is do we trust the people involved to make the right decision with regards to the manager and if they needed to would they back him some more or make a change?

IMO it's a yes that's why I won't be screaming for the manager's head.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Thanks for clarifying Mark. 

I do believe it was directed at the more vocal critics rather than say some of the more constructive critics but if I'm wrong I'm wrong and fair enough.

I don't think it's a good idea for Matt to get into a tit for tat argument with people on twitter over this its not going to do anyone any favours getting into somekind of internal fighting.

That said I find the people vocally giving the manager grief or those who sarcastically cheer everytime Joe Nuttall is substitute are probably worse. All they are doing is creating disharmony and conflict when it's not needed. We don't need to go straight to toxic anymore it's not required this is not the Lemsagam era and we don't need to kick up a stink.

Its interesting seeing people guestimate James Norwoods wages recently you realise we as fans only have part of the information. The people who have all the information on this are the board of directors. They know what the level of the budget is, what each player was on how, well we recruited in the summer, and if the management team is getting the best out of this group of players. From there and with all that information they have to make the right decisions for the club.

The question we need to be asking ourselves is do we trust the people involved to make the right decision with regards to the manager and if they needed to would they back him some more or make a change?

IMO it's a yes that's why I won't be screaming for the manager's head.

top post. middle ground. if we were all there things would be great, but it just wouldnt be Latics would it?

Matt was tired, ill and having Latics withdrawal so he thought chuckin petrol rather than water on the sparks of discontent. IF its a mistake and theres no consensus on that yet, but if it is, it's his first one and it might work anyway!!!

lve tried to point out previously to JoeP that he needs to be aware of the pond life such as Pretend Pete lurking around the edges of his valid points, tryna get reflected legitimacy. smelly waters to swim in and its hardened my stance firmly in DU's camp.

Edited by Monty Burns
*on the sparks of..

I’ve noticed over the many years of following us that there are some fans who are extreme in their views whoever the manager is. I’ve heard on the terraces some of the insults thrown out at managers , some more than others . I assume it’s the same at other clubs , maybe not. As in life in general people deal with stuff differently, some shout and scream, some are stoic and passive. I think I’m a bit in between. But I do find this almost hatred of Unsworth from some a bit strange. Personal almost .I’ll give him time to get the squad he brought in up and running, if we aren’t climbing the table rapidly by then well it’s time for him to move on. Nothing personal. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I’ve noticed over the many years of following us that there are some fans who are extreme in their views whoever the manager is. I’ve heard on the terraces some of the insults thrown out at managers , some more than others . I assume it’s the same at other clubs , maybe not. As in life in general people deal with stuff differently, some shout and scream, some are stoic and passive. I think I’m a bit in between. But I do find this almost hatred of Unsworth from some a bit strange. Personal almost .I’ll give him time to get the squad he brought in up and running, if we aren’t climbing the table rapidly by then well it’s time for him to move on. Nothing personal. 

l think we like to pretend we are the worst, but probably not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, True Tic said:

I agree with the post - apart from the bit in bold.

Why would it be personal?

For me it's about making the most of this opportunity that has been created, thanks to Frank and the board.  I don't think the opportunity is infinite.  I'd be amazed if we can keep signing James Norwoods every close season (I've read somewhere on here that we don't know how much Norwood is on - we know that we've outbid League clubs for him, so he's on a high salary for our level..).  Another element that isn't infinite (which a caller on the phone-in pointed out last night) is the feel-good factor that's been created at the club.  We're getting the best crowds for ages - above what's usual going off the last 30 years - and we want them to keep coming back.. I'm not convinced they will be if they are served up what we've seen under Unsworth so far.

So it isn't personal - it's gathering all the information available and making a decision.  While I trust the intentions of the board implicitly - you consider what Everton fans have had to say, the fact he hasn't been head-hunted by any other club since retirement from playing, the absolute nonsense he comes out with in interviews, his relationship with the fans (although I empathise with those that don't see that as important..), what we've seen last season and what we've seen so far this season from a heavily invested squad and - for many - it's hard to come up with a case in support of him.

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

For me it's about making the most of this opportunity that has been created, thanks to Frank and the board.  I don't think the opportunity is infinite.  I'd be amazed if we can keep signing James Norwoods every close season (I've read somewhere on here that we don't know how much Norwood is on - we know that we've outbid League clubs for him, so he's on a high salary for our level..).  Another element that isn't infinite (which a caller on the phone-in pointed out last night) is the feel-good factor that's been created at the club.  We're getting the best crowds for ages - above what's usual going off the last 30 years - and we want them to keep coming back.. I'm not convinced they will be if they are served up what we've seen under Unsworth so far.

So it isn't personal - it's gathering all the information available and making a decision.  While I trust the intentions of the board implicitly - you consider what Everton fans have had to say, the fact he hasn't been head-hunted by any other club since retirement from playing, the absolute nonsense he comes out with in interviews, his relationship with the fans (although I empathise with those that don't see that as important..), what we've seen last season and what we've seen so far this season from a heavily invested squad and - for many - it's hard to come up with a case in support of him.

I think the personal element I’ve read on Twitter (when I could access it) and other places was “fat bastard “ amongst other things, “fuck off out of our club “ “just don’t like the guy”. Sat at the Halifax game , “ Unsworth you’re a c**t!” From behind me. 
I’m not a “fan” and I’m not keen on his style of play and often don’t agree with what he says post match , but even if we fail when the injured players are back , I won’t be impressed but will never scream insults , just time to move on. 

7 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I think the personal element I’ve read on Twitter (when I could access it) and other places was “fat bastard “ amongst other things, “fuck off out of our club “ “just don’t like the guy”. Sat at the Halifax game , “ Unsworth you’re a c**t!” From behind me. 
I’m not a “fan” and I’m not keen on his style of play and often don’t agree with what he says post match , but even if we fail when the injured players are back , I won’t be impressed but will never scream insults , just time to move on. 

Well yeah, that's not on.

That is personal and negative.

It's important not to lump all the Unsworth-Outers with them, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Well yeah, that's not on.

That is personal and negative.

It's important not to lump all the Unsworth-Outers with them, though.

Oh indeed, I could be put in the same bracket sometimes as the outers, especially after 90 minutes of dross which is what much of it has been. Then I think once I’ve calmed down, let him have his full squad, give him some more time and it might click , possibly maybe … 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

One case might be that we've played FOUR games.

Presumably Stockport lost the feel good factor at some point given they were down to 3-4k gates.

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

A relegation battle that he got us into - after some decent backing.  Keep up, anonymous username. 

It's clear the heels are dug in on both sides of the argument, that's not going to change no matter how many exchanges are made. 

I wish (in vain alas) that during games and also at the game end the nastiness didn't occur.

Here's to the next 10 game winning streak.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Ye but you've already stated you're refusing to factor in after new year when it comes to last season

Never said that - I just don't think it creates as a convincing case as many make out.

Did you listen to Ryan's take on that run on the phone-in last night?  Thoughts?

Edited by JoeP

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Never said that - I just don't think it creates as a convincing case as many make out.

Did you listen to Ryan's take on that run on the phone-in last night?  Thoughts?

Yes I listened. Ryan's heels are firmly on DU out side of the fence. That's not going to change. 

Unfortunately if we win the next 3 games,  then lose the next and draw after that the chorus will be just as loud.  This 3 wins will not alter that. 

Just now, Lags said:

Yes I listened. Ryan's heels are firmly on DU out side of the fence. That's not going to change. 

Unfortunately if we win the next 3 games,  then lose the next and draw after that the chorus will be just as loud.  This 3 wins will not alter that. 

Apparently everyone is desperate for him to do well Lags, they just have a funny way of showing it...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Apparently everyone is desperate for him to do well Lags, they just have a funny way of showing it...

As I've said. The views are polarised and the million posts on this board bare that out.

I am sure to a fan should we win the next 10 games,  everyone will be happy about it. 

Edited by Lags

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Said it previously but I think things would calm down if we was firmly in the play offs. 

You could well be right...

Or would 4th place become not enough. DU can't get us in 1st place?

24 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I thought the chat was exactly how it should be. Ryan was allowed to state his views and they had a good debate about it. It was a valid point when you break down the results in terms of the actual teams, but I am more of a view of beat whoever is front of you and the momentum builds and you start to beat the better teams.

I was also glad that the vast majority on the phone-in were not raging anti-Unsworth people as other social media seems to imply.