BPAS PODCAST: 21st Aug ‘23, S4E5: R.E.S.P.E.C.T

It was a day full of emotion, drama, some questionable behaviour and that was just the fans...

Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠. 

All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday morning at 6am and listen to both shows ad free.

If you'd like to advertise on the show, please email info@oafcpodcast.co.uk

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠⁠productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Matt featured this topic

Matt's taken it far too personally about some numpties singing a song about him on a train. Completely inappropriate to start calling  anyone who questions Unsworth 'a prick'. 

We're clearly a divisive fan base but some of his comments are hardly helping the cause.

• Like 2

It's only natural to be somewhat short-tempered and agitated after a period of illness/being unable to leave the house. That mixed with the antics from some of our lot and daft goading on Saturday has resulted in a tough listen that does the situation no favours. 

For what it's worth I think Saturday was one of the few scenarios this season where I'm happy for us to focus on making it difficult rather than imposing ourselves. We were against a side that have better midfielders on the ball and Unsworth is managing a squad with several short term fitness concerns (Freeman, Gardner, Dickensen, Norwood, Willoughby are nowhere near fit enough for a 90 min press against that Chesterfield side). I did find some of his decisions - such as two forwards in the wide positions playing very deep - odd, but thought Nuttall looked okay adapting. Surprised Reid didn't get a look in given his pace.

This season won't be defined by last Saturday but by results and intent against the so called lesser sides and you do get the sense that a lot of our fans are anticipating frustration given some of last season's games and Halifax so are quick to point to symptoms of underachievement and react to it with desperation. This comes from wanting the same thing Matt does - Latics to progress. 

Hope you all feel better soon and thanks for continuing to put out the podcast. Get Andy whispering his Zen mantras to you before the phone-in and come next Monday hopefully things look a bit rosier.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Matt's taken it far too personally about some numpties singing a song about him on a train. Completely inappropriate to start calling  anyone who questions Unsworth 'a prick'. 

We're clearly a divisive fan base but some of his comments are hardly helping the cause.

Depends how they are questioning him though doesn't it.

This is the very simple truth. 

When football clubs don’t win or the football is poor they go into meltdown. That’s not fair. But it’s true. 

Spurs were in the top four for a lot of Conte’s reign- and every time you listened to the radio, fan after fan came on to say how poor it was- and that was negative football but it got results. . 

Roonie Moore was in Unsy’s mould - pragmatic, hard to beat, and was doing ok. . . he got hounded out because the fans hated the football. 

You could argue Unsy has done ok. Not terrible but not good either, and a lot want him gone because it’s largely so poor to watch. (Despite getting results in the second half of last season) 

Ive said this many many times now- in the style Unsy wants to play he needs to win an awful of lot of games for the noise to stop. EG Allardyce at Bolton or Pulis at Stoke. I’m not saying that’s right or fair, but history tells you that football clubs with negative style managers only last if they prove it’s really really effective. Managers that play that way and are deemed to be underachieving against budget/size of club will always struggle. We are no different. 

• Like 5

l've been whingeing about our Hoofball. but l'm stopping it in solidarity with Matt 🤣

my fave bit was when he nearly sounded like he was sayin meet him at the match for a wrestle but realised how he sounded and clarified 'we can go for a pint'.

l can understand a lot of upset ego's listening to that. 

but l can even more literally feel the exhasperation!!! after all the shit weve been through we are trying our best to implode at a point when we have never been better as a club!

• Like 1

The hypocrisy of Top Off aka The Oldham Groundhopper singing that someone else  is self promoting is immense. 
He’s all over Facebook bragging about how many followers he has, and routinely copying other people’s content and passing it off as his own. 

• Like 2

Bit embarrassing that to be honest, I know it's Matt's platform but calling out fans like that and almost ridiculing some will just add flames to the fire in my opinion, Unsworth splits opinion and just because a fan wants him out it doesn't mean they need therapy or don't understand the game.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

It’s his default position. If you don’t agree with him you’re a prick , numpty or whatever his word of the day is.

You can’t blame Unsworth for anything and it’s all Abdallah,’s fault anyway 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Bit embarrassing that to be honest, I know it's Matt's platform but calling out fans like that and almost ridiculing some will just add flames to the fire in my opinion, Unsworth splits opinion and just because a fan wants him out it doesn't mean they need therapy or don't understand the game.

images.jpeg.jpg

I think if you're confident in the validity of the argument you're making, then you wouldn't need to misrepresent the argument someone else is making.

It's pretty clear that the podcast is being critical of a certain element of the fanbase because they are acting in a certain way. It's not aimed at anyone and everyone who has questioned Unsworth.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It's pretty clear that the podcast is being critical of a certain element of the fanbase because they are acting in a certain way. It's not aimed at anyone and everyone who has questioned Unsworth

On this podcast - yes he is venting a small minority on Twitter. But in general he has become more and more entrenched in his views, (which is his prerogative) and he doesn’t really listen to the other side when reasonable points are made. 

He went very quiet today when the guest said he could understand why some are unhappy, and Dave changed the subject to chesterfield commentators being biased. 

One of the pods great strengths in the past was it’s ability to have alternative views and it was handled really well. Now it’s feels a bit ‘them and us’ in my view- which is a real shame as lots of very valid points are being missed on both sides. 

• Like 4

I don't want spittle-mouthed opinions from either side of the fence tbh, and felt on reflection (and a fast forward through the match recording) even my own feelings on Saturday were maybe a bit OTT (perhaps the lack of attacking intent maybe explained by losing most of our midfield).  But there's no point having opposing opinions on if they are just talked over or the subject changed.  Seems like the "it will be good to just be on and having a debate about the match" a year or so ago to "how dare you question the manager".  

The best bit was - to paraphrase - they know f all about football - closely followed by Matt handing out some finishing advice to Norwood.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

On this podcast - yes he is venting a small minority on Twitter. But in general he has become more and more entrenched in his views, (which is his prerogative) and he doesn’t really listen to the other side when reasonable points are made. 

He went very quiet today when the guest said he could understand why some are unhappy, and Dave changed the subject to chesterfield commentators being biased. 

One of the pods great strengths in the past was it’s ability to have alternative views and it was handled really well. Now it’s feels a bit ‘them and us’ in my view- which is a real shame as lots of very valid points are being missed on both sides. 

Probably difficult to have a balanced and rational debate when one side is being completely irrational.

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I can't speak for Matt obviously, but I've experienced it on here where somehow any debate gets turned into someone supposedly not being allowed to question Unsworth. When I've said nothing of the sort and have questioned him myself plenty of times.

It depends what the entrenched view is too. I've asked on here before what mine supposedly is but didn't get an answer. To answer it myself, my entrenched view is that sacking him at this point of the season is too early. That's the only thing I'm set on. I don't personally think I've heard a reasonable argument for sacking him now. But that's an opinion in itself and someone who thinks they do have a reasonable argument would think I'm totally wrong!! There's no meeting in the middle on something like that. 

26 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Probably difficult to have a balanced and rational debate when one side is being completely irrational.

Agreed - with the tiny minority. 

But several pod guests have expressed valid and reasonable concern and it hasn’t been debated it’s been closed down or quickly moved on from. I can understand why, because Matt wants to be positive and it doesn’t really work if he gives lots of air time to perceived negativity. At the end of the day it’s his podcast, and he’ll steer it as he sees fit, so ultimately it will always be weighted towards his view. 

• Like 1

That was a good listen, although I don't really approve of all this fucking swearing!

I actually find myself agreeing with the vast majority of Matt's comments. At least he is happy to put his head above the parapet, unlike the faceless troll accounts on Twitter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I can't speak for Matt obviously, but I've experienced it on here where somehow any debate gets turned into someone supposedly not being allowed to question Unsworth. When I've said nothing of the sort and have questioned him myself plenty of times.

It depends what the entrenched view is too. I've asked on here before what mine supposedly is but didn't get an answer. To answer it myself, my entrenched view is that sacking him at this point of the season is too early. That's the only thing I'm set on. I don't personally think I've heard a reasonable argument for sacking him now. But that's an opinion in itself and someone who thinks they do have a reasonable argument would think I'm totally wrong!! There's no meeting in the middle on something like that. 

We can all agree to disagree 

As always, it was a very good listen.

Matt makes some valid points - particularly when he talks of respect and he rightly criticised the vocal section of our fans for their vitriol and abuse of the manager.

And then he goes and undermines his position somewhat by going on a rant demonstrating the same vitriol and abuse that he had just decried…weakly arguing that his attack is not against individuals.

Yes he has provoked a reaction but it could have been done so much better. And I think, deep down, he knows that.

fwiw - I fully support his viewpoint that we, as a fan base, need to get behind the whole club. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

On this podcast - yes he is venting a small minority on Twitter. But in general he has become more and more entrenched in his views

This is the wrong place to be pointing out people are entrenched in their views. That's 90%* of people on here

*some stats are guesstimates

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

This is the wrong place to be pointing out people are entrenched in their views. That's 90%* of people on here

*some stats are guesstimates

I know what you mean. 

But when people actually take the time to ask the other person what they mean in more detail, they end up not far away from each other, and actually agreeing on a lot of things. 

It’s not entrenched as it may seem, as long as person A is genuinely interested in hearing where person B is coming from. What we get on here a lot is - if you don’t agree with me. . . your deluded/give your head a wobble- people just switch off, and stick to their view. 

Enjoyed the podcast apart from Matt's foul mouthed rant/tirade which surprised and disappointed me. He's basically lowered himself to the same level (or lower) as those he was talking about on Twitter or at least those that I have seen regardless of the topic. The red mist descended I think and it won't have made it any better for him. Ignoring them would have perhaps been the best option.

Edited by IanMarshall's Mullet
  • Like 1