BPAS PODCAST: 21st Aug ‘23, S4E5: R.E.S.P.E.C.T

42 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Genuine question - How do you think he will set up at Boreham Wood tomorrow?

Do they have better players than us - No

Are they a stronger squad than us  - No

Do they score loads of goals at home - No

Do they concede a lot of goals at home - No

Based on this would you expect him to set up to dominate possesion and the game tomorrow??

I'd bloody hope so as this is fucking Boreham Wood....with less than 1,000 home fans!!

Just a caveat. The amount of fans has absolutely no bearing on what goes on the pitch for me. It'll be a tough game, but I'm execting they'll just press high an hard to try and knock us off our game.

They did the double over us last season but we coped reasonably well I thought. We were the better team away in the midweek match and they hit us twice on the break (at home!) We handled them well at home but had no cutting edge up front and they scored with five minutes left. Tomorrow is an excellent yardstick to see if our approach has improved since last season. They're physical and compact. If we can get on top of a team like then we're going in the right direction.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Genuine question - How do you think he will set up at Boreham Wood tomorrow?

Do they have better players than us - No

Are they a stronger squad than us  - No

Do they score loads of goals at home - No

Do they concede a lot of goals at home - No

Based on this would you expect him to set up to dominate possesion and the game tomorrow??

I'd bloody hope so as this is fucking Boreham Wood....with less than 1,000 home fans!!

No I wouldn't

We don't play a possession based game when it's worked well for us we have set up as tough to breakdown but have been clinical when we get the ball. With the exception of Lundstrum I don't think we have anyone who pulls the strings in the middle.

That said I do believe we can go there and get a positive result based on the fact that we have a better squad as you rightly point out.

42 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

We didn't sit back and let Halifax have possession though in my view. We had 63% for starters. We played very similarly to the Aldershot game, overlapping full backs, attacking down the wing, lots of passing and moving. It was a great passage of play that lead to Sheron's shot being deflected for the corner we scored from. They just put up a much better defensive performance than Aldershot did.

Doesn't mean we were perfect against Halifax of course. But the intent and the passing including keeper throwing it out was a big difference to last season.

Don't take my word for it, Roy even said "well we've given it a really good go" or words to that effect!

I do agree with you to some extent, when the final whistle blew I wasn’t particularly annoyed as I thought we were okay. But it was just an average performance more than anything. 

Kitchen since he’s come in had always bombed on though. So is that an improvement, I’m not sure. 

The 10 minute period before they scored the 1st, I said to my mate that the midfield has just crumbled, and they scored shortly after. So I’m not sure that was an improvement. 

Hopefully we get at them tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I respect others views. Funny how you are saying you can’t take someone’s view seriously and then the next sentence pull me up for not respecting others views. Comical. 

50 odd games at that point isn’t a small sample size for football managers. 

It can't be taken seriously because all of the arguments being put forward other than not liking the style of football fall apart under any scrutiny.

And not liking the style of football isn't a logical reason for sacking someone four games into a season.

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I respect others views. Funny how you are saying you can’t take someone’s view seriously and then the next sentence pull me up for not respecting others views. Comical. 

50 odd games at that point isn’t a small sample size for football managers. 

See what he was saying after 4 games with Shez in charge last season and then you'll understand he only posts for bites, strange how he was so entrenched about Shez with the shit hand everyone admits he was given but wants Unsworth to be offered a 2 year extension and to be given the 5 years he thinks it takes a decent manager to get us up.

I can assure anyone that the Rothwells don't share some fans long term vision which they seem to have adopted from Abdallah - slowly, slowly...... they are paying League 1 wages because the expectation is that it will pay off on the pitch, if Unsworth is holding that back I expect they will get rid, he already sounds like a worried man in his pressers and I'm sure pressure is being applied.

44 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

See what he was saying after 4 games with Shez in charge last season and then you'll understand he only posts for bites, strange how he was so entrenched about Shez with the shit hand everyone admits he was given but wants Unsworth to be offered a 2 year extension and to be given the 5 years he thinks it takes a decent manager to get us up.

I can assure anyone that the Rothwells don't share some fans long term vision which they seem to have adopted from Abdallah - slowly, slowly...... they are paying League 1 wages because the expectation is that it will pay off on the pitch, if Unsworth is holding that back I expect they will get rid, he already sounds like a worried man in his pressers and I'm sure pressure is being applied.

Just frailing around making stuff up here Faz, you are better than that.

Re: Sheri, the facts are he had a golden opportunity to cement his legend status, instead he won 2 out the last 16, relegated us with 2 games to go then after obtaining 3 lucky wins in the NL left the club with a squad that was literally unfit for purpose.

8 hours ago, JoeP said:

Not just Chesterfield - pretty much all of last season too..

I'm not sure Halifax at home can be held up as a beacon of progress (although Aldershot can, granted.)

Will you make your mind up when you are and aren't counting what happened last season.

8 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I didn’t watch the Aldershot game unfortunately. But the 3/4 games I have been to, the same pattern was to be seen. We sat back, let them have possession, opposition controlled the midfield, and didn’t notice any passages of play. 

You expect us to be generally better, he has been given quality players, that will naturally cause an improvement, that’s not down to the manager in my opinion. 

But the way we set up, pressing, intent, clear passages of play. That is down to the manager and I have seen very little difference in all honesty from last season to this so far. 

To be honest, the Chesterfield game showed me that Unsworth does have some tactical ability about him, and he can setup a structured defensive team. It was one of the best tactical demonstrations he has shown since being at the club in my opinion. He has a clear plan, he set them up, and they executed it well. Not spot on, as that would have been 3 points, but well. 

But he needs to be able to do the other side, and set us up attacking and aggressively. 

Blah blah blah. Didn't watch the game we won 5-1 so doesn't count...

18 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I really hope we are not set up like the Chesterfield game. We shouldn't need to be. 

My gut feeling is that he'll generally treat home and away games differently - go for it from the start at home, be a bit more cagey away. But I don't think he'll be as defensive as the Chesterfield game again. 

I mean even last season you'd have picked out Chesterfield away as one of our toughest games.

This season you'd have picked it out as our toughest game, until April, depending on how we are getting on (when it is a "win and you're in" situation that complicates matters).

I don't expect him to be as defensive again until April / May or even next August.

Then again he could be trying to #ShithouseTheLeague.

• Matt unfeatured this topic