BPAS PODCAST: 21st Aug ‘23, S4E5: R.E.S.P.E.C.T

I’m not sure I fully understand Ryan’s point. Was he referring to a short run of form or the whole 2nd half of the season? If the former why ignore the latter? If the latter then isn’t that the general rule in football… you pick up more points against the worst teams?

55 minutes ago, Lags said:

You could well be right...

Or would 4th place become not enough. DU can't get us in 1st place?

I can’t speak for other fans, but I would be happy for DU to go tomorrow. But if we was sitting nicely in the play offs, I’d happily shut up. That’s clearly his target with the outside chance of competing at the top. 

36 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I’m not sure I fully understand Ryan’s point. Was he referring to a short run of form or the whole 2nd half of the season? If the former why ignore the latter? If the latter then isn’t that the general rule in football… you pick up more points against the worst teams?

I thought it was the latter. 

It is amazing how everyone can look at a set of results and come to a different conclusion about it.

Was the improved results because we sorted ourselves out or because the opposition was poor? Would we have got similar results if we played different teams? The answer is that we will never know, so why does our brain come up with these questions in the first place :)

59 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I thought it was the latter. 

It is amazing how everyone can look at a set of results and come to a different conclusion about it.

Was the improved results because we sorted ourselves out or because the opposition was poor? Would we have got similar results if we played different teams? The answer is that we will never know, so why does our brain come up with these questions in the first place :)

I thought our decent run was pretty much the second half of the season. During which I'm guessing that we played pretty much the same teams as we did in the first half.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I can’t speak for other fans, but I would be happy for DU to go tomorrow. But if we was sitting nicely in the play offs, I’d happily shut up. That’s clearly his target with the outside chance of competing at the top. 

The next three games are against sides we couldn’t muster a win against last season ( even due our amazing second half of the season). Surely we should do better this time round.
The eight or nine games after that are all games we should be expecting to win. We won’t, but we should pick up plenty of points, so that when the table starts to take shape we should be up near the top. Given the backing Unsworth has had in relation to the rest, and how poor this league actually is, it’d be difficult for us not to be close to the top really, so it’ll probably be a lot calmer then.

• Like 2

Interesting listen. I'm sure if he had his time again Matt would do it a bit differently. But that doesn't mean he's wrong.

I think the world is full of people who feel that life owes them something and the way they "support" their football club reflects that - wild mood swings, black and white, triumph and disaster, all in the same week. Asking them to be measured and take a long term view is about as futile as asking them to fart on  Saturn. 

Nevertheless you can have standards and you can try not to trash something you've worked hard for, and when he sees people who seem not to believe that I think that is where Matt gets frustrated. Especially as he was one of the people doing the heavy lifting throughout that period.

Fans of other clubs are no different. Coventry warned us about it, and yet we have just the same element at our club, people who will brook nothing short of absolute success and scream blue murder until they get it. It's part of the price you pay for going through a period when your fan base gets radicalised, or politicised, or both. Which is why, for example, reading this thread, even an outsider like me can spot the two or three posters who have  axes to grind.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Interesting listen. I'm sure if he had his time again Matt would do it a bit differently. But that doesn't mean he's wrong.

I think the world is full of people who feel that life owes them something and the way they "support" their football club reflects that - wild mood swings, black and white, triumph and disaster, all in the same week. Asking them to be measured and take a long term view is about as futile as asking them to fart on  Saturn. 

Nevertheless you can have standards and you can try not to trash something you've worked hard for, and when he sees people who seem not to believe that I think that is where Matt gets frustrated. Especially as he was one of the people doing the heavy lifting throughout that period.

Fans of other clubs are no different. Coventry warned us about it, and yet we have just the same element at our club, people who will brook nothing short of absolute success and scream blue murder until they get it. It's part of the price you pay for going through a period when your fan base gets radicalised, or politicised, or both. Which is why, for example, reading this thread, even an outsider like me can spot the two or three posters who have  axes to grind.

All due respect to you but people aren't demanding absolute success today, we are asking for the manager to take the handbrake off, have a go at the opposition and look to win games from the outset rather than have a must not lose mentality. Given the size of our club, budget and the improvements we have made in the squad plus the division we are playing in, I don't think it's a lot to ask for. If Blackpool were playing Wealdstone this weekend, i'm certain you'd be miffed if you set up as defensively as we have been doing.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, PeteG said:

All due respect to you but people aren't demanding absolute success today, we are asking for the manager to take the handbrake off, have a go at the opposition and look to win games from the outset rather than have a must not lose mentality. Given the size of our club, budget and the improvements we have made in the squad plus the division we are playing in, I don't think it's a lot to ask for. If Blackpool were playing Wealdstone this weekend, i'm certain you'd be miffed if you set up as defensively as we have been doing.

@JoeP

see what l mean. there's no way this is what he is asking for, but this sort of scum will cling to your legitimate concerns and use them to further his agenda.

7 hours ago, PeteG said:

Shame you must have missed the 2 home games. Where we took the handbrake off, had a go at the opposition and looked to win both games from the outset.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Shame you must have missed the 2 home games. Where we took the handbrake off, had a go at the opposition and looked to win both games from the outset.

it's almost like he is completely lying about what he wants and is using the fog hysteria to further the grubby ends of his defunct conspirators 🙄

Edited by Monty Burns
he

7 hours ago, PeteG said:

Is this a first? -  a measured and reasonably argued post?

@PeteG I think you’ve been hacked mate…

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

@JoeP

see what l mean. there's no way this is what he is asking for, but this sort of scum will cling to your legitimate concerns and use them to further his agenda.

I mean you might be right, but as I say I don't know who he is and try to just take what he says at face value.

It's been a long old week on owtb/#oafc hasn't it??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Didn't do against Southend or Chesterfield where it was a defensive mentality.

This is what frustrates many fans.

This is non league and the club is supposedly on a top budget so should always be on the front foot.

Edited by BP1960

18 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I mean you might be right, but as I say I don't know who he is and try to just take what he says at face value.

It's been a long old week on owtb/#oafc hasn't it??

yes. we really need two wins this weekend don't we!!!!

four points would be good too. l was bein a bit greedy there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

This is non league and the club is supposedly on a top budget so should always be on the front foot.

this was addressed in the post match DU. we are not one dimentional and if we want to be long term succesful it starts on a solid foundation. not interested in losing 5-3 by going toe to toe with a team that is a couple of years ahead of us.

25 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The post I replied to suggested it's always defensive. I pointed out in half the games we've played this season it's been good quality attacking football.

If the expectation is that we should be all out attack in every game, home or away, then I think that's a totally unrealistic and unfair expectation.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

So you’re literally basing your opinion on a managerial change on one game v Halifax as if we’d won that we’d be in the playoff places.