The Next Oldham Manager

21 minutes ago, Oldham82 said:

This is a repeat of wellens he had blistering start, then all went wrong, I honestly think Thompson and redfern and murray all love the club which is so important they deserve a chance I'd still wait another 3 games see how it pans out though

Fair point, but don’t forget that Wellens had the Chuckle Brothers to deal with. Not to absolve Wellens of blame for his part in our relegation, but at least this time around the regime in charge is light years ahead of Abdallah and Mo.

Can we stop comparing Wellens to Thompson in the caretaker becoming manager argument. 

Totally different context. 

Wellens had not been at the club long in his first coaching role, then got the gig at a very turbulent time for the club. 

Thompson is a vastly experienced coach who is coming into a very settled club.

Comparing apples and oranges, and nothing to suggest Thompson would mirror Wellens. 

• Like 1

I know it is a quick turnaround but we need a player or two in before Saturday, we have a management team of Thompson, Redfearn and Paul Murray- three very gifted midfielders in their own right who need to knock on Frank's/Darren's door and get a couple of players in to help that midfield out, even if its cover from the bench. If nothing else in Thommo's capacity as head of recruitment we should have one or two targets lined up. 

Relying on Gardner to hold up was as daft a call as you are likely to see, it was inevitable that he would break down, that's his 5th game he started this month and his third start in a week, that's just fucking stupid and gives the impression that they just planned to play him till he broke, he could have been pulled off earlier in the two previous games as well to save his legs but for some reason they kept him out there too long. Everybody but the coaching team has probably called that which is disappointing given his importance to us at the minute.

Dickinson will be next, he looks really leggy at the end of games and we should be looking after him better, I thought he said that Tollitt was training well? If he is stick him on the bench for Norman and give us another outfield option.

Problem we have is while no decision has been made on the new manager recruitment may have been put on hold which would be a shame given the run and momentum it feels like we are building.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I know it is a quick turnaround but we need a player or two in before Saturday, we have a management team of Thompson, Redfearn and Paul Murray- three very gifted midfielders in their own right who need to knock on Frank's/Darren's door and get a couple of players in to help that midfield out, even if its cover from the bench. If nothing else in Thommo's capacity as head of recruitment we should have one or two targets lined up. 

Relying on Gardner to hold up was as daft a call as you are likely to see, it was inevitable that he would break down, that's his 5th game he started this month and his third start in a week, that's just fucking stupid and gives the impression that they just planned to play him till he broke, he could have been pulled off earlier in the two previous games as well to save his legs but for some reason they kept him out there too long. Everybody but the coaching team has probably called that which is disappointing given his importance to us at the minute.

Dickinson will be next, he looks really leggy at the end of games and we should be looking after him better, I thought he said that Tollitt was training well? If he is stick him on the bench for Norman and give us another outfield option.

Problem we have is while no decision has been made on the new manager recruitment may have been put on hold which would be a shame given the run and momentum it feels like we are building.

Surely Lundstram must be nearly ready, when he first got his injury I’m sure four weeks was mentioned. Don’t want to rush but he must be thereabouts now. 

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think we might see a Dickinson and Sheron midfield 2 with Hope playing LM on the weekend. Lundstram on the bench. 

11 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Surely Lundstram must be nearly ready, when he first got his injury I’m sure four weeks was mentioned. Don’t want to rush but he must be thereabouts now. 

Lundstrum before the York game said he was ready and expected to be in the 16 for the game with Oxford on Saturday, maybe he's had a setback we are not aware of?

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Lundstrum before the York game said he was ready and expected to be in the 16 for the game with Oxford on Saturday, maybe he's had a setback we are not aware of?

I hope not, I’m not expecting midfield maestro stuff but I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do. 

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

ST said Lundstram thought he was ready but the physios were not as convinced and didn't want to rush it. 

Suspect another week of training should put him close to a squad place, if not this Saturday then for the following game. Certainly need him and Ward back to offer options in a busy schedule.

5 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Personally, my hunch is the club will bring a new man in after a thorough process (another 3-4 matches down the line). The job may even be dependant on a new manager accepting ST is retained on the coaching staff. Whatever it is, it's a good scenario for the club in that they can take more time to decide whilst on the pitch stuff isn't creating any more pressure for the board.

3 hours ago, Oldham82 said:

This is a repeat of Wellens he had blistering start, then all went wrong, I honestly think Thompson and Redfern and Murray all love the club which is so important they deserve a chance I'd still wait another 3 games see how it pans out though.

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Thompson's mini run takes a bit of urgency out of the situation.

Now that Thommo has thrown his hat in the ring, like a few others, I'm torn as what to do next. However, there's no harm in waiting for at least another 10 days as we've 3 matches up to 7th October.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

When he does start, let’s hope they give work him back in, not just give him 90 mins straight off. Starting Gardener 3 games in a week was a bit naive or desperate. I agree with Yarddog that we need an extra body in midfield.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Good luck with that opinion on here

Playing Gardner as much as they have and his subsequent breakdown may send a message to the board that we do need additions to the midfield but I suspect they’ll wait until Lundstrom is fit along with Ward. The Freeman issue is a strange one because he seems to have disappeared without a mention.

54 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

Playing Gardner as much as they have and his subsequent breakdown may send a message to the board that we do need additions to the midfield but I suspect they’ll wait until Lundstrom is fit along with Ward. The Freeman issue is a strange one because he seems to have disappeared without a mention.

Freeman given time off after his missus gave birth but played in an in-house friendly t'other day.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I know it is a quick turnaround but we need a player or two in before Saturday,

Prior to Unsworth leaving, he mentioned moving one or two out in order to bring one or two in - that might still be the plan but let’s not forget that we have Ward and Lundstram to bolster the midfield.

I agree that if we can move one or two on (McGahey and Tollitt possibly) then a couple could come in but I don’t think it is going to happen until the managers position is sorted.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Prior to Unsworth leaving, he mentioned moving one or two out in order to bring one or two in - that might still be the plan but let’s not forget that we have Ward and Lundstram to bolster the midfield.

I agree that if we can move one or two on (McGahey and Tollitt possibly) then a couple could come in but I don’t think it is going to happen until the managers position is sorted.

We’ve also got to pay Unsworth and Ebrell off so that may be where the money for new signings goes to

18 hours ago, Oldham82 said:

This is a repeat of wellens 

it's really not unless youre telling me Frank is just about to sell the club to a clown. who then appoints his clown brother and an overweight embarrassment of a blunder bus. sign loads of shite players and be forced to play them. but never feed them, train them on rutted fields and banish them to the reserves for percieved slights in order not to pay them?

oh and cold showers aswell

• Like 2

10 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

I think he was probably my favourite for the job. It will be easier to get what is deemed ‘success’ there than at Latics. Probably better paid too.

11 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

That is a shame, bit surprised given their downward trajectory. I honestly think we're a better prospect than Cheltenham, maybe location has played a part. If we are running a proper process there would be no guarantees so that could also be a factor. He may never have been interested in the Oldham job, who knows?