The Next Oldham Manager

Frizzell and Royle managed the club for circa 23yrs. What a uniquely and  stable quarter of century, out of the blue. I wouldn’t be surprised if its not averaged 18 months or less a manager since then.

Frizzle, Royle, Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger are rarities. Long serving, successful managers but almost certainly exceeding all reasonable expectations at time of hiring

Football is unique in the volume of  supporter expectations from owners, managers and players.
Whoever we appoint in the coming day’s is a punt. I honestly don’t have a clue who I would like to see given the job. I’m just hoping he gels with the owners, players auxiliary staff. And land lucky with 2 or3 signings capable of making us tick going forward. 

I am, as usual, optimistic. And we really are due some luck with a manager. 

• Like 1

^ 'Luck' is a factor that can be at least as important as coaching abilty and management skills in some situations. If you go all the way back to Frizzell, he almost didn't become our manager, and where would we have gone from there? 

Two of his first three home games early in 1970 were against Bradford PA and Lincoln. Bradford were rock bottom in Div 4 and hadn't won an away game for three years, but we struggled to create more than a few half-chances against them and they had two goals disallowed for offside, and we all know how marginal many of those decisions can be (final result 0-0). In the Lincoln game we only scraped a point with an equaliser in the third or fourth minute of injury time. If we'd lost those games I don't think Frizzell woud've lasted much longer as caretaker manager.

In any event, the man the club wanted as manager was Frank Lord, who was coaching in South Africa at the time. The board had already agreed terms with him and offered him the job, but for some reason he didn't show up to sign his contract. If Lord had got onto the plane that day in Cape Town, it would have been all over for Frizzell. I don't think we missed out on much with Lord - I remember him briefly turning up as caretaker manager of Preston in the 1972-73 season, but other than that he seems to have made no impact on the managerial scene.

Frizzell capitalized on the situation by guiding the side to their first away win in six months (2-0 at Exeter), and seven days later to a 1-0 win against league leaders and champions-elect Chesterfield, which was enough to persuade the board to offer him the job after the rebuff from Lord.

Edited by Summerdeep
  • Like 2

Never knew Lord was offered the job before Frizzell. He was a Chadderton lad , he came to our school Greenfield Lane to coach us once . Our head Mr Winterbottom was a massive Latics fan and instilled latics into all of us . Not that it was needed with me my elder brother, dad, and grandad made sure of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

^ 'Luck' is a factor that can be at least as important as coaching abilty and management skills in some situations. If you go all the way back to Frizzell, he almost didn't become our manager, and where would we have gone from there? 

Two of his first three home games early in 1970 were against Bradford PA and Lincoln. Bradford were rock bottom in Div 4 and hadn't won an away game for three years, but we struggled to create more than a few half-chances against them and they had two goals disallowed for offside, and we all know how marginal many of those decisions can be (final result 0-0). In the Lincoln game we only scraped a point with an equaliser in the third or fourth minute of injury time. If we'd lost those games I don't think Frizzell woud've lasted much longer as caretaker manager.

In any event, the man the club wanted as manager was Frank Lord, who was coaching in South Africa at the time. The board had already agreed terms with him and offered him the job, but for some reason he didn't show up to sign his contract. If Lord had got onto the plane that day in Cape Town, it would have been all over for Frizzell. I don't think we missed out on much with Lord - I remember him briefly turning up as caretaker manager of Preston in the 1972-73 season, but other than that he seems to have made no impact on the managerial scene.

Frizzell capitalized on the situation by guiding the side to their first away win in six months (2-0 at Exeter), and seven days later to a 1-0 win against league leaders and champions-elect Chesterfield, which was enough to persuade the board to offer him the job after the rebuff from Lord.

Soooo glad they gave the job to Sir Jimmy.Great days indeed 

• Like 2

On 10/5/2023 at 4:26 PM, andy_b_100 said:

Ladt but by no means least ... leave it out with the booing for Shelton(nee Nuttall) FFS were all aware that he isnt the reincarnation of Jose or Byrne but he is a Latics player and shouldnt be booed on to a pitch before he kicks a ball. He scored a couple last season .... did you not cheer when it went in ? if you did, how dare you. 

👏

5 hours ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

I’m not sure where this garbage about the main stand won’t like this and the main stand won’t like that. I’m in the main stand and I’ve spent years in the Chaddy, Lookers/North Stand and the Rochdale Rd end and they’re generally all the same in my experience. There are sensible people and gobshites littered around the ground everywhere …. 

Absolutely 

20 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Yep, lost 2-1 in front of 9.5k. Look at that team!

Gary Kelly, Craig Fleming, Richard Graham, Carl Serrant, Ian Snodin, David Beresford, Lee Richardson, Paul Rickers, Nick Henry, Ian Ormondroyd, Nicky Banger

Tbf Bradford had Duxbury and Chris Waddle in the team!

What pissed me off the most is that man who scored there winner (Ole Bjorn Sungat) or summat scored the winner.

He was on trial with us earlier on the season and we didn’t sign him.

He was going mental with the Bradford fans…

38 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Micky Mellon now 1/2 favourite! Somebody had a £5 bet?

https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/oldham-athletic

Probably something to do with ST and Redders being linked with the Bradford job

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/bradford-neil-refearn-mark-hughes-31122582

Edited by notts_latic

7 minutes ago, notts_latic said:

Probably something to do with ST and Redders being linked with the Bradford job

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/bradford-neil-refearn-mark-hughes-31122582

"Redders, get your agent to drop a cheeky hint to the star about us being in the frame for the Bradford job, it should pressure them to giving us the Oldham gig full time"

Key bit of that article for me is:

The duo could be given the job full-time if the Latics beat Dagenham & Redbridge on Saturday.

probably why we haven't seen any sightings of potential candidates watching our games.

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

summerdeep-i well remember the situation in jan 1970.lord accepted the job,then declined.he stated if he broke the south africa contract it would effect other uk coaches getting contracts in sa.lord did eventually return to uk at hereford.sacked after 12mths.

16 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

We also almost didn't get Royle as John Wile was the board's first choice to replace Jimmy Frizzell.

On 10/1/2023 at 2:13 PM, GKing521 said:

New man needed ASAP.

Yesterday was absolutely rotten. Unable to compete at these dog and duck grounds makes me ill.

Give Mellon the gig until the end of the season with a hearty promotion bonus. If he doesn’t get us up, get rid and find someone else.

The longer we stay at this level, the more fans we will lose, commercial opportunities will dwindle and financially we will suffer.

There is no time to piss about and experiment any longer. Thompson seems a nice guy but whatever the tactics he instructed yesterday were totally and utterly unacceptable.

RT.

The players have to take responsibility….they are clearly not good enough.

We need 4 players, whether Thommo brings them in or someone else it needs to happen soon!!

I’m in favour of a new manager coming in now with different ideas!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

The players have to take responsibility….they are clearly not good enough.

We need 4 players, whether Thommo brings them in or someone else it needs to happen soon!!

I’m in favour of a new manager coming in now with different ideas!!

I think we have players who are very capable in this division, they need managing by someone who is experienced and able to get more out of them plus bring more in to balance the squad.

4 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I think we have players who are very capable in this division, they need managing by someone who is experienced and able to get more out of them plus bring more in to balance the squad.

You'd struggle to find someone more experienced than Thompson, do you mean someone experienced at the level?

Just now, deyres42 said:

You'd struggle to find someone more experienced than Thompson, do you mean someone experienced at the level?

Somebody who has actually managed a football team as a manager and not caretaker, a role which I think does not carry the same weight and pressures with it.

• Like 1

Whoever it is that pretends to be Barry Owen on twitter reckons Frankie Bunn set for the job.

I was walking up sheepfoot lane behind a bloke who was saying Thompson is being announced as permanent manager on Monday and that no other interviews had taken place...

I've no idea if either of the above are true but personally I wouldn't choose either option.

Edited by Gaz_Oafc