The Next Oldham Manager

One thing for sure, we cannot afford to get the managers job appointment  wrong again.

Did Frank and his family assume that we would be carried along on the crest of the new local ownership wave.

Because of this, did Frank, Darren, Joe and the Rothwell family show a lack of judgement, and due diligence in appointing someone with zero knowledge of the league that we play in. And very little experience of managing in mens football. And so it came to pass that it has ended up a disaster.

We need to get the next appointment right, otherwise we are destined to spend years toiling to get out of this league.

It's a tough ask, and I don't envy the club coming up with the right answers. Lets just hope, that good fortune is heading our way some time soon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Because all a head of recruitment's job is to manage the number of scouts we have, identify targets and report back to the manager with said targets. The manager, one would presume, had issued instructions to the players he needs.

The mental gymnastics to land this at ST's door is impressivem one has to say! It's almost like building a National League Winning Machine™ takes more than a calendar year. Who'd have thunk it?

That's not what we were told on the pod after they did interviews. @lookersstandandy clearly pointed out that it was a collective decision on transfers.

5 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

One thing for sure, we cannot afford to get the managers job appointment  wrong again.

Did Frank and his family assume that we would be carried along on the crest of the new local ownership wave.

Because of this, did Frank, Darren, Joe and the Rothwell family show a lack of judgement, and due diligence in appointing someone with zero knowledge of the league that we play in. And very little experience of managing in mens football. And so it came to pass that it has ended up a disaster.

We need to get the next appointment right, otherwise we are destined to spend years toiling to get out of this league.

It's a tough ask, and I don't envy the club coming up with the right answers. Lets just hope, that good fortune is heading our way some time soon.

I think Frank placed all his trust in others to look after the footballing side of things. He was badly let down. It won't happen again.

21 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Surely there'll be some kind of announcement early this week? Over three weeks now since Unsworth has sacked and the uncertainty can't be helping ST or the playing staff. 

The vacancies at Bradford City and Gillingham are clouding the situation. Unemployed managers who are hoping to get one of those jobs might well be very interested in the Oldham position if they miss out on both the League Two posts.

23 hours ago, Sparkleking said:

Barry Owen tweeted last night that Bunn's appointment is virtually a done deal but the players want ST.  Not sure if he is ITK these days or just talking through his fleece.  Make of it what you will.

I understand that we don't know if 'experienced' managers such as Micky Mellon and David Artell have applied for the job, but what selection criteria has been used that puts Frankie Bunn ahead of Steve Thompson? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

I understand that we don't know if 'experienced' managers such as Micky Mellon and David Artell have applied for the job, but what selection criteria has been used that puts Frankie Bunn ahead of Steve Thompson? 

If Barry Owen is genuinely in the know we've got more to worry about than who the next manager is

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

I'd be very surprised if Artell hasn't applied. He's been out of work for eighteen months and Oldham Athletic is a very good opportunity. I think he'd be a good appointment and I'd certainly take him over Mellon or Bunn. But I still think it's possible the Cowleys might be interested if they miss out on both the Bradford City and Gillingham jobs.

Think the Bunn rumours were started by the Barry/Fake Barry twitter account.

Can't find the account now but I'm sure he tweeted last night that player power had won the day and that Bunn now won't be appointed (which hints that Thompson will be appointed based on his previous)

7 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Think the Bunn rumours were started by the Barry/Fake Barry twitter account.

Can't find the account now but I'm sure he tweeted last night that player power had won the day and that Bunn now won't be appointed (which hints that Thompson will be appointed based on his previous)

what an odious creature. l think he is powered by spite, attention and a backlog of free pies.

16 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Such a difficult one for the board to judge. The supporters are so split about sticking with ST and bringing a new manager in. You can see a clear argument for both.

I don't see a split I see the majority saying the same thing.