BPAS PODCAST: 9th Oct '23, S4E12: Drawn Out

Latics are unbeaten in six games but still there's a obvious issues within the squad and the performances. Surely it's time for the board to announce who the management team will be?

Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠.

All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday morning at 6am and listen to both shows ad free.

If you'd like to advertise on the show, please email info@oafcpodcast.co.uk

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Like 1

l think we are over looking the muscle memory in the players from boooooooing and the reason some of them look like theyre scared is because they are.

maybe that's a character thing, maybe they just need a couple of fresh unscarred minds in the squad.

not sure how long its been but we have had six matches sat tue so it cant be more than four weeks. should really be sorted one way or t'other middle of next week.

Yes, Matt. Sutton was Man of the Match on Saturday. Happy to be on the same planet..

Thought the same about how good a signing their number 9 would be but - as Aaron alluded to with regards Norwood - you know he’d be utter dogshit if he signed for us…

Any chance of a Latics Mind leaderboard update? Been a low scoring season so far (apart from Paul, obviously..).

18 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Yes, Matt. Sutton was Man of the Match on Saturday. Happy to be on the same planet..

Thought the same about how good a signing their number 9 would be but - as Aaron alluded to with regards Norwood - you know he’d be utter dogshit if he signed for us…

Any chance of a Latics Mind leaderboard update? Been a low scoring season so far (apart from Paul, obviously..).

can l just check, are you saying Norwood is dogshit? responsible for 1/4 of our goals and the hardest worker out there??

26 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

can l just check, are you saying Norwood is dogshit? responsible for 1/4 of our goals and the hardest worker out there??

Maybe not dogshit - but potentially a victim of the Latics strikers graveyard at the moment…

Edited by JoeP

Funny now the squad isn't good enough etc. etc. What happened to everything behind the scenes being top draw, everything in place which will guarantee success providing we are just a bit patient? All these stats and investment, not quite gone to plan has it? Maybe it's just not as easy as everyone thinks. We need a proper manager in place, who takes responsible for the players he recruits and let him get on with the job of winning football matches. Nobody is really interested whether the players have nice meals after training or we have nice seats for the subs. Just win football matches.

Edited by PeteG
Edit

10 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Funny now the squad isn't good enough etc. etc. What happened to everything behind the scenes being top draw, everything in place which will guarantee success providing we are just a bit patient? All these stats and investment, not quite gone to plan has it? Maybe it's just not as easy as everyone thinks. We need a proper manager in place, who takes responsible for the players he recruits and let him get on with the job of winning football matches. Nobody is really interested whether the players have nice meals after training or we have nice seats for the subs. Just win football matches.

If anyone ever said that success was guaranteed they're a fool. What has been removed is guaranteed failure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Yes and the new manager will have the added advantage of directors who possess zero football knowledge not picking the team and involving themselves in recruitment !!   

35 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Think he's referring to the curse on strikers at BP not Norwoods ability, I managed 6 on Latics Mind which is significantly higher than the 1 or 2 i normally get but saying that Westy probably went through 3 weeks worth of questions.

With regards to Sutton I like him, thought he was MOM on Saturday along with Hobson, teams tend to target him because Green offers very little defensively which is why they overload that flank, Green for me needs to play in a front three on the right, he can't play right of a four because it gives the opposition the midfield, we have players bought ad hoc who fit in to different systems and until we settle on a way of playing we will regurgitate the same shite week after week, I hope we don't go 4-4-2 at Alty, for me it needs to be 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 or even a 4-3-3, we need to start controlling games which means more bodies (preferably footballers) in the middle of the park.

Edited by yarddog73

If you look at it the players discussed Sheron and Shelton Reid and Norwood need the same type of players people who can get on the ball sheron and shelton can probably win the ball and play a simple pass that's probably what they can do, so when they get the ball they need to give it to a ball player who will know what to do. Norwood and Reid (and all the forwards for that matter) need creative players who can create chances for them. I think we all know this anyway. The issue will be fitting them into the side and finding the right player probably 2 I think we need a creative wide player who can come in off the flank and start picking the ball up in the pockets and the gap between the lines of attack and midfield. We look like a rigid 4-4-2 at the moment the wide players stay wide the strikers play in the middle uptop which means it's asking more of the midfield who will often get out numbered in the middle as they will be asked to cover more ground.

The silver lining here is firstly the problems aren't that big and they can be solved a couple of midfielders and a right back/right wing back added to what we already have. Plus a clear decision on the managent front and clear leadership coming from the dugout will be enough for things to click.

My first choice would have been someone like Williamson or Mellon externally but I will support Thompson and Redfearn if they get the gig. 

We also have to look at it is do we trust the people in charge to make the right decision and bring in the right people. Yes I think we do, I'm certainly alot more confident In the current regime than I was under a failed policeman and a dodgy boxing promoter who got a slap down from Tony Bellew 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Maybe not dogshit - but potentially a victim of the Latics strikers graveyard at the moment…

l think a lot of this comes from a total misunderstanding at the type of player he is. l'm absolutely loving seeing him here and then l see stuff like this and l have to fight debilitating brain explosion!!!

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Think he's referring to the curse on strikers at BP not Norwoods ability, I managed 6 on Latics Mind which is significantly higher than the 1 or 2 i normally get but saying that Westy probably went through 3 weeks worth of questions.

With regards to Sutton I like him, thought he was MOM on Saturday along with Hobson, teams tend to target him because Green offers very little defensively which is why they overload that flank, Green for me needs to play in a front three on the right, he can't play right of a four because it gives the opposition the midfield, we have players bought ad hoc who fit in to different systems and until we settle on a way of playing we will regurgitate the same shite week after week, I hope we don't go 4-4-2 at Alty, for me it needs to be 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 or even a 4-3-3, we need to start controlling games which means more bodies (preferably footballers) in the middle of the park.

the second part of this could have been said by ST himself in a presser!!

l agree with all of it btw.

with regards LaticsMind l got six.

but it was the first six and after l realised l was 6/6 l crashed mentally and even got the ones wrong l knew. if l ever make it on there we could be heading for some real car crash podcasting 🤣

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Norwood at current rate would score 16 league goals this season (rounded up).

By my reckoning that would be more than any Latics player since we were promoted to the top flight except for Hughes, Beckett and Porter.

That doesn't detract from the fact we should be getting more out of him, but it does feel there's a bit of hyperbole about at the moment.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

the second part of this could have been said by ST himself in a presser!!

l agree with all of it btw.

with regards LaticsMind l got six.

but it was the first six and after l realised l was 6/6 l crashed mentally and even got the ones wrong l knew. if l ever make it on there we could be heading for some real car crash podcasting 🤣

Would you take an interpreter on there with you. 

18 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l think a lot of this comes from a total misunderstanding at the type of player he is. l'm absolutely loving seeing him here and then l see stuff like this and l have to fight debilitating brain explosion!!!

What type of player would you say he is, out of interest?

I haven’t really followed football outside of Latics for a few years now, so was just excited about him signing because everyone else was, rather than really knowing much about him myself.

I agree with the podcast take on him at the moment - he looks fed up a lot of the time and missed a sitter last Tuesday and fell over the ball in front of goal on Saturday. He might be on a superior wavelength to the players in his team, but that’s not really any good for anyone. He needs to work with his teammates and should’ve been expected to adapt his game to a lower standard when he signed..

Edited by JoeP

3 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

Norwood at current rate would score 16 league goals this season (rounded up).

By my reckoning that would be more than any Latics player since we were promoted to the top flight except for Hughes, Beckett and Porter.

That doesn't detract from the fact we should be getting more out of him, but it does feel there's a bit of hyperbole about at the moment.

l'll be disappointed if he fails to hit 20 and l can't see a scenario, barring extreme ones, where it doesnt happen.

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I haven’t really followed football outside of Latics for a few years now, so was just excited about him signing because everyone else was, rather than really knowing much about him myself.

I agree with the podcast take on him at the moment - he looks fed up a lot of the time and missed a sitter last Tuesday and fell over the ball in front of goal on Saturday. He might be on a superior wavelength to the players in his team, but that’s not really any good for anyone. He needs to work with his teammates and should’ve been expected to adapt his game to a lower standard when he signed..

ld say he is a lower league Wayne Rooney in all Footballing terms possible. l would also mean it as a compliment to his unselfishness, hardwork, teamplay and subsequent goals output however badly it came accross when l said it!!!

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Think Ward did this job at Gateshead.

I'm not going to comment on the role Ward did at Gateshead as some will see it as a criticism but you wouldn't describe him as a creative player, he does have legs and can drive through the lines but not the technical ability of a Gardner or a Lundstrum for that matter. 

I know players being unfit is often banded about but I don't think that's the case, Dickinson looks too big to play out wide in a midfield four, he could play in a midfield three though, his strength his his main asset and I think he'd be effective left in a midfield three, we look goosed because we can't keep possession and don't press as a team, unless each and every man is prepared to press the ball you'll end up goosed for putting in the effort in isolation, it's great if you can bring fresh legs on but we tend to just rotate strikers hoping that will get some reward. I'm not expecting us to turn in to Gateshead overnight but controlling possession has to be the focus, let the ball do the work not your legs.

Still think we need a couple in for the weekend though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I always thought and was under the impression he was a workhorse/pressing type of forward.