Norwood

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

It's strange Unsworh and Thompson said 3 or 4 new players were coming in and now it appears the budget won't allow that and he has to make do with the players no manager can improve.

Unsworth said 3 or 4 were coming in but I guess the board were reluctant to commit more money to a manager whose future was in the balance.

It was also intimated that there would have to be outgoings in order to balance the books!

Thompson said that we needed 3 or 4.

We’ve had to pay off a complete backroom staff since then and although I think Frank will make finance available to MM it might be slightly less than Unsworth was alluding to!

Incidentally, I haven’t seen any evidence from the club to suggest the ruling out of further transfers either.

Edited by oafc1955

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Yes; but it doesn't alter the fact both DU and ST said 3 or 4 signings were immenent and MM having taken the job should have known some players he started were the opposite of what he said required.

As far as I can remember he said it needed 3/4 players in not that it was imminent. Could be wrong…..

5 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Not every youth player is good BP 😂. You seen to think every youth player is better than what we have in the squad. 

Anyhow, it’s Murray’s assessment whether the youth players are ready to step up. Have you questioned him or you just pinning it on MM ? 

Youth players can look good against other players of their own age, strength and experience, but when they step up to a competitive match against adults it’s too much.  It isn’t really what we need now, to gamble with youth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I meant for them to be assessed training with the first team, if he thinks they aren't ready fair enough but it's possible one ot two may shine and be promoted to the first team squad.

If he doesn't assess them how will he know?

There is plenty of time for this to happen. You really are jumping the gun BP if that’s your criticism of MM, (oh along with not using all his substitutes,😂)

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Berry and Colclough I was mainly pointing out, as has @BP1960 for an age

To have those you mention will seal the deal as far as promotion goes

Meanwhile, we're left floundering and another crack at it next time out

I'm not 100% convinced either Colclough or Berry would have made any difference, they obviously fit right in to the playing style at Chesterfield, maybe not at Latics. 

We have absolutely nobody who can make a little dinky run which takes out 2 or 3 of the opposition. We also have nobody capable of a defence splitting pass which has the same effect.

I see Norwood making great little runs all match and our players don’t even see them because they’re not even looking up!!

We are far far too slow and so predictable in our build up play. I don’t think you can coach players to do this, maybe the youngsters but not the seasoned pros….at this stage of their career they’ve either got it or they haven’t and too many of ours fall into the latter category!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

5 subs were available at Newport he used 4, no reason not to use them all, especially when losing 2-0 -and I don't mean a few minutes from the end of the game.

Chesterfield used all available subs, even bringing on attackers when in the lead.

I will criticise any manager if I think they've got it wrong no matter who it is and give praise when it's due, as in the case of drafting McGahey into midfield at Altrincham.

He has also said the team lacked runners yet played the slowest I've ever seen. After that he then says they were flat. 

It was an FA cup tie for goodness sake, what more motivation do they need?

It's strange Unsworh and Thompson said 3 or 4 new players were coming in and now it appears the budget won't allow that and he has to make do with the players no manager can improve.

If he can't sign players it begs the question why was he appointed?

To be fair, if DU said Saturday was the day before Sunday I'd be checking the calendar very carefully indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Jesus wept @BP1960 give it a rest  have another break. The stress will do you no good. Angry at everything

I think BP often brings plenty of interesting points to the board but as for reasons I don't get, but don't matter, I seem to wind him up. It certainly isn't intentional. For that reason I've just decided not to engage as there's no upside.

7 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

He was poor again today - contributed very little. 

Yes other than one or two good touches and a decent header he was anonymous. I'd be surprised if he's still here after January. The money could have been better spent.

Edited by TwistingMyMellon

25 minutes ago, TwistingMyMellon said:

Yes other than one or two good touches and a decent header he was anonymous. I'd be surprised if he's still here after January. The money could have been better spent.

He isn’t going anywhere. He absolutely loves Mellon, He’s on almost 5k a week plus god knows what other bonuses and lives in Manchester on a guranteed 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd.

While it’s frustrating for fans, until the team improves overall he can literally coast to 20 goals this season in play off hopeful side being paid shit loads down the road from home. 

He was bobbins yesterday but he’s still our top scorer and the most likely player to get a goal. 

• Like 4

If Reid had squared the chance from the left yesterday I don't think we would be questioning Norwood yesterday.  I also think he will end up having a good partnership with Reid as on numerous occasions Reid made runs off the last man with only some timely interceptions cutting out Norwoods flick ons. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

He was bobbins yesterday but he’s still our top scorer and the most likely player to get a goal. 

Norwood 7 in 19 - a goal every 212 minutes played

Reid 5 in 13 - a goal every 101 minutes played

They are just stats I know but, as I’ve said before, I am yet to see the player that many bang on about… 😮

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Norwood 7 in 19 - a goal every 212 minutes played

Reid 5 in 13 - a goal every 101 minutes played

They are just stats I know but, as I’ve said before, I am yet to see the player that many bang on about… 😮

But that’s not the true story is it ? I’ve corrected you on these stats already. 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

But that’s not the true story is it ? I’ve corrected you on these stats already. 

What’s all this ‘corrected you already’?

They are just stats pal.

You've already undermined any credibility you have with your previous posts. File under ‘B’ for talks ‘Bollox’ I think 👍

16 minutes ago, Andyt84 said:

If Reid had squared the chance from the left yesterday I don't think we would be questioning Norwood yesterday.  I also think he will end up having a good partnership with Reid as on numerous occasions Reid made runs off the last man with only some timely interceptions cutting out Norwoods flick ons. 

Reid tried to put the ball to Norwood who would most likely  have scored  but it was a last second interception which stopped it.I have said for months that these two should be our main strikers and we have plenty  of other strikers in reserve.