BPAS PODCAST: 30th Oct '23, S4E15: From Faulty to Alty

What a week...from highs, to lows, to somewhere in the middle, supporting Latics is always a rollercoaster.

Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠.

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

Theirs a couple of points here from this.

Firstly this is unpopular opinion infact I might be the only person who thinks this but I think Steve Eyre talks alot of sense. His assessment of us on Saturday of passing the ball awkwardly and playing in straight lines, that Conn Clarke would walk into our team and greatly improve it, and that Micky Mellon will change the squad and some of these players won't last under him.

The way Matt was talking was of almost writing off this season and preparing for next season. Now no doubt its not gone aswell as we wanted this season and its proven to be harder than we'd like. But their is a long way to go this season and we have alot of football to play. We can't win the league we are nowhere near Chesterfield but getting into the play offs is a strong possibility and we all know that the play offs can be a lottery anything can happen. 

I don't think Micky Mellon will have agreed to be our manager with the intention of only working with what he's got this season. He will have been given some wiggle room in the transfer market. He won't be given a war chest and nor should he its not just a case of throeing money at it but we can inprove the squad without breaking the bank. Even if we are not hearing rumours it doesn't mean things aren't going on in the background. I expect abit of evolution to the squad at some point.

Edited by GlossopLatic

• Matt featured this topic

I don't want to "experience" the play-offs this season, I want to get in them and win them by hook or by crook!

Worry about being prepared for League 2 when we get there - it'll be easier to prepare a survival campaign in League Two than a promotion campaign in the National League!

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I don't want to "experience" the play-offs this season, I want to get in them and win them by hook or by crook!

Worry about being prepared for League 2 when we get there - it'll be easier to prepare a survival campaign in League Two than a promotion campaign in the National League!

Completely agree. 

If we got promoted, there’s absolutely no chance that we’d struggle to stay up with Mellon and Franks backing. In fact I’d fancy us to finish at least top half if not higher. 

26 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Completely agree. 

If we got promoted, there’s absolutely no chance that we’d struggle to stay up with Mellon and Franks backing. In fact I’d fancy us to finish at least top half if not higher. 

I think Saturday could be an interesting litmus test. Newport are struggling but are still 8 points away from relegation.

Coincidentally we are a very similar number of places below them as we were when we last played them Feb 2022. We well deserved our point in that game and probably would have had all 3 if not for poor discipline.

10 hours ago, JoeP said:

This for me - we have a chance of building towards the playoffs and, if done correctly, a chance of winning the playoffs.

Lets approach it that way huh.

10 hours ago, League one forever said:

Completely agree. 

Plus the money we'd get for actually being in the football league (the parachute payments of which stop next year if we're still in the National League...).

Bit of a strange one, that....

We're four points off the play offs. If we've appointed the right manager, and I think the vast majority of us believe we have at this stage, we should improve over the remainder of the season which will see us into the play offs. There isn't that much wrong with the squad and again, I think we all believe that with a couple of astute signings it'll be pretty much on the money, in terms of getting into the play offs.

I like the way Mellon is going about it. He's assessing the current squad and he's not made the mistake Unsworth made of criticising the current squad, although you could see the interview at the weekend as veiled criticism. We don't want panic buys. They just fill the squad up and then have to be moved on. I reckon he's taking his time and that we will see two or three signings in the coming weeks that will improve the team.

MM seemed genuinely impressed with Matt Hudson in his interview and tbf, apart from distribution he hasn't done much wrong and has made many impressive saves. Don't know if Steve Thompson or Steve Collis was responsible for his signing but to have two competent keepers on the books at this level is a real plus, and Hudson is someone who we might sell on, wouldn't be surprised to see him offered improved terms.     

Not often I say this about the podcast but I don't really agree with the point about what can be achieved this season. It seemed to be suggested that we're almost better off staying down so we can have a proper tilt at the title next season and be ready to challenge at the top of league 2 the season after, than to go up this season and not be ready to compete at the top the season after.

It'd be interesting to see some stats on teams coming straight back down but I'd hazard a guess that there aren't many at all. League 2 is a very difficult league to get relegated from, I'd say almost impossible to do that with a well run club and a decent manager. If we went up via the playoffs this season without much change to the squad then I don't think we'd do much worse than mid table in league 2 next season.

Chesterfield and Barnet do look like they're away at the top, but we're only 12 points behind 3rd place. That is definitely doable over the remaining 28 games. Especially with Mellon having more time to mould the team to how he wants them to play and then any squad tweaks that could help us.

As for the recruitment chat, we may not have got it totally right this summer but if we look at the players we have on decent contracts, they are ones that should be relatively easy to offload if we decided to make available. Lets take the 2 biggest boo boys... Shelton and Nuttall. 

- Shelton is 27 and has won promotion twice from this league. Hartlepool fans were gutted to lose him. 

- Nuttall is 26 and scored 16 goals in this league last season. He's got a few assists and a goal this season despite not getting much of a run in the team.

I don't think we'd have too much trouble finding takers for either of those players. So even though we may have got recruitment a bit wrong in terms of the type of player we signed and squad balance, I don't see us being stuck with a bloated squad for a couple of seasons because we can't give away any of the players.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It just dawned on me halfway through listening to the pod that this weeks guest is the #anywhereintenminutes man. 😀

🤣🤣🤣

you could tell he had an early night and l thought he used his words very well and in a good order!!

l think he also made a good point about signings, which then seemed to be backed up by DB's interview with MM. l felt a lot of the pod may have had a different feel if the MM interview was earlier or reviewed beforehand. it was like Matt was taken completely by suprise at Dave asking all the right questions!!!  these guys seemingly already get 26 hour days with all the stuff they get thru.

'l need to reply to a text so you two do that' was funny 🤣

Steve Eyre defo seems to dislike us in tone and he went from 'Oldham look really good' to 'Oldham have not looked good all match' in the space of 30 seconds, fifteen minutes in. 'nobody can sprint' with Freeman, Kitching, Green and Reid all gettin about was emblematic.

enjoyable smooth pod with lots of information squished in there. thought Hope may have got more stick for the miss, but he kind of makes up for it in effort and his bottom corner attempt looks very close. Fan guest defo made himself some notes and did some practicing, l thought he was good.

yes, l do know him.

Edited by Monty Burns

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

- Shelton is 27 and has won promotion twice from this league. Hartlepool fans were gutted to lose him. 

- Nuttall is 26 and scored 16 goals in this league last season. He's got a few assists and a goal this season despite not getting much of a run in the team.

I wouldn’t play either of them again full stop!!

We’ll definitely have problems getting Shelton off the books he’s a terrible footballer.

Problem with Nuttall will be his wages. He won’t be considered by a promotion team in our division and the smaller teams won’t be able to afford him.

I also reckon he’s probably the type of player who’ll be happy to sit on a fat salary until his contract runs out!

• Like 1

• Matt unfeatured this topic