Boys in blue has always made me cringe; largely because it contains the word soccer.

Soccer is the game we play.

No, we don't.

And in the very next line' were playing football, football.

Which is it boys?

That aside, is it just me, or does it sound 30 years older than Mouldy Old Dough?

Both Mouldy Old Dough and Fanfare For The Common Man are brilliant musically and I have no problem with either. However, Boys In Blue sounds like a groany, corny xmas record.

Wu woo woo woo woo. Sic

Follow that with Roy on commentary and I am that bit closer to sharing a padded cell with McMurphy.

Get rid or keep?

There's only one proper tune that sums up everything Oldham and that's 

the Inspirals 'This is how it feels' (our towns anthem)

Taking me further back I'd plumb for 'The Floral dance' by the Brighouse & Rastrick brass band, especially over the winter month's 

Rousing tunes for 'Ice Station Zebra'

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Handsy said:

Is it just me  I have never liked mouldy old dough anybody else feels the same about it 

Love it, remember Franny reading the teams out in the mid 80’s with Andy Goram collecting crosses in the warm up whilst having banter with the Chaddy End.

• Like 3

Mouldy old dough does nowt for me . But the Cannon and Ball song does, and even at 75 years old I still sing it just before the players come out.

This season I didn't renew my subs to listen to Roy and the other fellas comedy show. Roy's a lovely bloke, and a great ambassador for the club. However, a football pundit he is not.

And with that, we're the boys in blue wu woo woo woo.

Happy New year to one and all. 

• Like 4

Mouldy Old Dough by Lieutenant Pidgeon forever since reminds me of my earlier days supporting Latics 

A few years ago a mate of mine Dave Moore who runs an alternative Latics site rang me and said Lieutenant Pidgeon were on at the Railway pub in Greenfield and we had a great time  and loud cheers when they played that song.

Long may it remain.

"Meat pie, sausage roll come on Oldham give us..." No thanks. Don't mind "Mouldy Old Dough" as part of our tradition but 'Boys in Blue' means nothing to me. My fave was when the players emerged to "Who Let the Dogs Out?". I think was a player's choice [Lee Duxbury?]

Fanfare for the Common Man is one to keep although the young ones probably wouldn't agree. :D 
I can't listen to Roy anymore, it's so bad it's embarrassing and as much as he has done for the club, it needs changing.

53 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Mouldy Old Dough by Lieutenant Pidgeon forever since reminds me of my earlier days supporting Latics 

A few years ago a mate of mine Dave Moore who runs an alternative Latics site rang me and said Lieutenant Pidgeon were on at the Railway pub in Greenfield and we had a great time  and loud cheers when they played that song.

Long may it remain.

Me too 

27 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Planet perfecto. Bullet in the gun?

Also did they used to play Vera Lynn at end?

Nah. She says that sounds like a ballad compared to the one she recalls.          Maybe it's 5 to 10 years ago.

Edited by 100milesaway

4 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

That aside, is it just me, or does it sound 30 years older than Mouldy Old Dough?

Both Mouldy Old Dough and Fanfare For The Common Man are brilliant musically and I have no problem with either. However, Boys In Blue sounds like a groany, corny xmas record.

Wu woo woo woo woo. Sic

Alright Lester Bangs, calm down.

• Like 1

Still remember us coming out to the 'Beverley Hills Cop' them tune in the late 80's/Early 90's. Fond memories as a 7 year old Sat behind the hoardings of the Chaddy. "Boys are back in town" and The Rugrats for the away team. Happy days.

Should get the Roger Palmer rap out. I can still recite it. The B-side has long gone from the memory bank, though.

Happy new year, all. Up the Tics. 

Edited by longtimeblue
  • Like 2