MATCH: Hendon (H) 13/01/24

Just now, nzlatic said:

My guess is Mellon factored defeat in to his selection. Knowing that if the fringe players couldn’t deliver and we get knocked out then at least our schedule doesn’t get clogged up. The next round is Saturday February 10th. We’re playing Bromley at home that day so if we won yesterday that would need moving. 

I’m not saying he lost deliberately, just that he probably wasn’t arsed about the competition as he wants to give us the best chance of going up. 

And on top of this if we went all the way then 2 more fixtures would need rearranging. Would getting to the final of the fa trophy be worth having to rescheduled 3 league games?

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Of our playoff rivals which teams do you think have the guile to go up and why? 

Bromley, for sure. They’ll best whoever they have to play at their community complex and then I think they have the players to see them over the line at Wembley.

I wouldn’t fancy playing at Altrincham either.

I also think Rochdale would beat us too which is embarrassing because they have about 9 players fit, but they’re a team that are up for the fight and we don’t have that. 

Say we did get to Wembley… I think the occasion would be far too overwhelming for the players. They struggle when OAPs get restless in the main stand, never mind a passionate end of Wembley. 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

My guess is Mellon factored defeat in to his selection. Knowing that if the fringe players couldn’t deliver and we get knocked out then at least our schedule doesn’t get clogged up. The next round is Saturday February 10th. We’re playing Bromley at home that day so if we won yesterday that would need moving. 

I’m not saying he lost deliberately, just that he probably wasn’t arsed about the competition as he wants to give us the best chance of going up. 

Clogged up??? It would have put us three games from Wembley, not had anything to celebrate for 30 years, would of been Trophy favourites this morning yet we are putting all our eggs in the NL playoffs basket, sorry but if he's not arsed it sends out the wrong message, there's nothing to suggest we are going to piss these playoffs and I'd rather we bred a winning mentality not a don't give a fuck one or worse still excuses for a losing one. Even if it means the petals have to go above and beyond to try and acheive something whilst they represent us.

Going back to yesterday it was the height of embarrassing for some of them players, okay they had a bit of pace down the flanks but they went with two strikers up front who looked and moved like prop forwards, yet it was them still going for it at the end.

7 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Bromley are in the next round so the game will still need to be moved 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

I think last season we had the same great owners as this season didn't we??....unless you know something I don't?

And for perspective 2H of last season we were the 3rd best team in the division( even with the Rhino at the helm) based on results, driven by some good home form.

MM needs to address this somehow as 1 home win 9 is utter shite, and it's probably all we deserved.

I meant to say season before last, but well done for paying attention.

However it’s time this “2H of last season” fairy tale was put to bed. You don’t get promoted based on half a season of results. Unsworth’s team produced some utterly tedious performances during that golden run, and then deteriorated at the start of this season. MM has inherited a bloated squad with a number of players who aren’t up to the job, we can agree on that. I’m confident he will sort it out, Unsworth would not have done.

I’m still pissed off that we basically chucked the towel in and gave up on a potential Wembley trip…seriously, who the fuck do we think we are?

I’m sick of this squad, way too big and far too many half arsed players who don’t deserve to be professional footballers imho

As for the playoffs, Southend will be the team to beat if they go on a run and join the party.

• Like 1

The only focus should be getting in to the play offs and giving ourselves the best possible oppurtunity of getting back to the football league as soon as possible.

MM is doing an excellent job with the squad he inherited, he will have assesed the squad by now and knows the positions he wants to improve, this will take time time with plenty going out and coming in, KTF.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Bromley, for sure. They’ll best whoever they have to play at their community complex and then I think they have the players to see them over the line at Wembley.

I wouldn’t fancy playing at Altrincham either.

I also think Rochdale would beat us too which is embarrassing because they have about 9 players fit, but they’re a team that are up for the fight and we don’t have that. 

Say we did get to Wembley… I think the occasion would be far too overwhelming for the players. They struggle when OAPs get restless in the main stand, never mind a passionate end of Wembley. 

I’ll give you Bromley, they look the toughest prospects and they almost got to the final last year. But we’ve beaten all the other current play off teams already this season. We may or may not go up but I think we’ll compete at least, I don’t see us being the no hopers you and others do. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I’ll give you Bromley, they look the toughest prospects and they almost got to the final last year. But we’ve beaten all the other current play off teams already this season. We may or may not go up but I think we’ll compete at least, I don’t see us being the no hopers you and others do. 

We've scored 4 away at Barnet and Rochdale and 3 away at Solihull already this season, all of whom are in the PO places. We'll absolutely compete 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Of our playoff rivals which teams do you think have the guile to go up and why? 

Any team in that six could state a solid case for going up. You couldn't predict it.

Last season Bromley and Boreham Wood finished the lowest and got through the first round. It's just an on-the-day lottery about who holds their nerve. We just need a ticket.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Last season Bromley and Boreham Wood finished the lowest and got through the first round. It's just an on-the-day lottery about who holds their nerve. We just need a ticket.

That's the thing, we can't. They don't have the bottle.

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

We seem to gain our best results when we need to battle and fail when we're expected to roll teams over.

Although far from the finished article I'd be fairly confident we'd acquit ourselves well if we achieve a play off place.

Hmm. Fair point. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I fully expect us to finish inside the playoff places.

1 minute ago, GKing521 said:

Hmm. Fair point. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I fully expect us to finish inside the playoff places.

That's the thing. We don't know for certain and I expect supporters of each team who gets there think the same.

We'll improve more as the season wears on with one or two additions reinforcing that. About 4th or 5th will feel about right to me.

15 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I meant to say season before last, but well done for paying attention.

However it’s time this “2H of last season” fairy tale was put to bed. You don’t get promoted based on half a season of results. Unsworth’s team produced some utterly tedious performances during that golden run, and then deteriorated at the start of this season. MM has inherited a bloated squad with a number of players who aren’t up to the job, we can agree on that. I’m confident he will sort it out, Unsworth would not have done.

On this we do agree😁

Let's sort our home form out and solidify our position in the top 5 at least👍

On 1/14/2024 at 6:01 PM, yarddog73 said:

He was shit yesterday and didn't look arsed, that's my opinion. 

I'd wondered why he'd not played for months after showing promise last season, now I know why.

Been out for ages and not played for months because no reason to drop Hudson

23 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Why are you constantly criticising Mellon. He used his squad after a busy Christmas period. The team were more than capable of beating Hendon. We may even need some if injuries and suspensions hit. It was the perfect opportunity for some to maybe push into the first team.

i am disappointed but we move on and now must cement our place in the play offs.  

Because MM hasn't emailed him back