MATCH: Ebbsfleet (A) 03/02/24

Having slept on last nights debacle I’m still really deflated and frankly angry about the shambles that MM and our half arsed players served up again.

The frustrating thing is the next games are Boreham Wood and Maidenhead and we’ll be back in mid table when we play them….they will be up for it, strong and aggressive like Ebbsfleet but with little quality and I fear we will have no answer but to play 7 at the back and lump the ball up to Mikey Fondop (if Norwood hamstring has gone then he is effectively done for the season)

I’ve pretty much lost faith in MM that he can organise and motivate this set off players and I think this season is another write off and a shocking waste of the Rothwell money as once again we’ll be rebuilding the squad in the summer and paying off contracts.

It is a mystery as to what is going on behind the scenes in terms of player recruitment and strategy 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He did. He came on and played right wing back...

sort of, Green naturally positions himself further forward and defending is an afterthought whereas Sachdev looked more like a right back with space ahead of him

44 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Having slept on last nights debacle I’m still really deflated and frankly angry about the shambles that MM and our half arsed players served up again.

The frustrating thing is the next games are Boreham Wood and Maidenhead and we’ll be back in mid table when we play them….they will be up for it, strong and aggressive like Ebbsfleet but with little quality and I fear we will have no answer but to play 7 at the back and lump the ball up to Mikey Fondop (if Norwood hamstring has gone then he is effectively done for the season)

I’ve pretty much lost faith in MM that he can organise and motivate this set off players and I think this season is another write off and a shocking waste of the Rothwell money as once again we’ll be rebuilding the squad in the summer and paying off contracts.

It is a mystery as to what is going on behind the scenes in terms of player recruitment and strategy 

Also got the proper post-shite Latics performance hangover fear.

How is buying those strikers moving us towards becoming a sustainable club?  Especially with the chance of promotion being slim.  Will the strikers brought in be hungry and demand better service?  Or have we just signed a load of players on big money who are set-up to fail?

There's no way the outward going players will cover the cost of the new players - I'd even bet we're still paying a chunk of their wages.

Something doesn't seem right.  I don't think it's Mellon. I just hope we're not going to persist with this stats department/Recruitment department/Manager process for transfers.  It should be the manager and the manager only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

And MM won't even encourage our own youths by adding some of them to the first team squad.

He should have attended last weeks youth match to see for himself.

Also the way Sutton has been treated is a disgrace, a far better centre back than McGahey IMO.

What Walker has done wrong is beyond me, he's just the sort of all action player badly needed in this team.

Edited by BP1960

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

And MM won't even encourage our own youths by adding some of them to the first team squad.

He should have attended last weeks youth match to see for himself.

Also the way Sutton has been treated is a disgrace, a far better centre back than McGahey IMO.

What Walker has done wrong is beyond me, he's just the sort of all action player badly needed in this team.

Would Sutton be comfortable as a left sided centre back? We know Raglan isn't.

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Also got the proper post-shite Latics performance hangover fear.

How is buying those strikers moving us towards becoming a sustainable club?  Especially with the chance of promotion being slim.  Will the strikers brought in be hungry and demand better service?  Or have we just signed a load of players on big money who are set-up to fail?

There's no way the outward going players will cover the cost of the new players - I'd even bet we're still paying a chunk of their wages.

Something doesn't seem right.  I don't think it's Mellon. I just hope we're not going to persist with this stats department/Recruitment department/Manager process for transfers.  It should be the manager and the manager only.

You can forget being a sustainable club until we are back in L1, until then we are going to have to keep outspending most of our rivals.

How the fuck have we brought all them players in and somehow look worse. It's not like you can see what's trying to be achieved, they've had loads of time on the training pitch in recent weeks but all we seem to see is a hoof up to the forward line and hope Norwood and now Garners experience can create us something, dear me how limited is that.

We can't play football because certain players cannot make simple 10 yard passes, they keep getting selected because they run about a lot which is just fucking dumb.

Players like Conlon have come in but he's fucked because players around him are just wasteful and are incapable of stringing half a dozen passes together, he spends most of the game chasing after a ball Sheron or Lundstrum have given away again and again, we need some fucking 'footballers' the clues in the name Mellon.

Also do we need another 35 year old striker on another chunk of a wage, do we fuck but Mellon is going down the exact same route Unsworth did thinking goals will just appear if we spunk more money on another front man, jesus wept is he that fucking stubborn and thick, after Garner was announced I made the comment along the lines that when I left BP after the Woking shitshow the last thing I thought we needed was another striker on a bagfull of money, I thought we needed a rightback - who can beat a man or influence a game, a left sided centre half who could give us balance, a central midfielder who can find a simple pass to a team mate or a couple of wide men who could bring some energy, drive us forward and provide some entertainment Cian Hayes and Idris Kanu for example or Sinclair from Rochdale would all add something to this group but we've brought in players that we just don't need. I know I go on and on about it but this transfer business is now bordering on becoming reckless, by Mellons own admission we are top heavy in certain areas but continue to stockpile with no conceivable difference to either the results or playing style, we've winged it with Mellon so far and for me he's been very, very lucky with the goodwill he's found but if this continues particularly at home that will start to turn.

Something needs to change and quickly before this goes sour, coming out and blaming kick off times and similar shite is just fucking weak, no wonder the players come out and play like fannies when you have a manager making excuses for them like that. 

For me now it's the manner of these performances now that bothers me, we've not done anything this calendar year in an attacking sense other than Norwood fashioning a couple of penalties, I think Fondops strike is the only goal from open play this year and that's seven hours ago and was a defensive blunder, it's desperate given what we are spending.

• Like 11

13 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

The reality is we've looked a different team since Stones went back to Wigan, he carried us through that decent run we had, all the attacking intent went with him.

I never saw him play but my nephew agrees with you. He says Stones was head and shoulders above anyone we had and that once he went back to Wigan he knew we would be back to the same old rubbish (his words not mine). I asked him if what I have seen past 2 games is typical of Latics performances and he says yes, certainly at home. In that case we have no chance of promotion. You can't perfrom like that and get away with it for too long. You are going to e found out sooner or later.

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I just can’t get my head around the Garner signing. Next year we are going to have a 34 year old Norwood and a 36 year old Garner leading the line ?

Baffling. We had more than enough with Norwood, Dallas, Fondop, Reid. 

He had a reputation for collecting 30+ year olds at Tranmere. You do wonder if any proper due diligence went into the appointment or was it just a case of picking the most obvious bloke who was available...

Edited by deyres42

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He had a reputation for collecting 30+ year olds at Tranmere. You do wonder if any proper due diligence went into the appointment or was it just a case of picking the most obvious bloke who was available...

He also had a reputation for winning promotions at Tranmere. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Something needs to change and quickly before this goes sour, coming out and blaming kick off times and similar shite is just fucking weak, no wonder the players come out and play like fannies when you have a manager making excuses for them like that. 

His past CV will be worth squat if he doesn’t sort this out… 

I’ve gone from:

’in Mellon we trust! ’

to

’in Mellon we trust…I suppose’

to 

‘In Mellon we trust?’

to

’Mellon needs to step up and justify our trust’

Just now, deyres42 said:

Doesn't necessarily mean the same will follow or that he was the right fit for us.

What is the “right fit” for us? 

The priority should be promotion and that doesn’t need to be by recreating the 1991 season. 

Of course there’s no guarantees but Mellon has won 5 promotions with 3 teams. Incidentally only one of those was in his first season. That was Shrewsbury and he was appointed in May. 

18 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Anyone still enjoying the novelty of watching us fairly regularly on TV it one of the plus points of being National League and being a big draw in it.

Nors should have done better there.

Er, no. That was 90+ minutes of my life I'll never get back.

A totally embarrassing performance, apart from maybe the first 10 minutes. The ball spent so much time in the air I started to wonder if it was a balloon. Why we have this craze for hoofball is completely beyond me. To try it now and again in a game as a change of tactic, fine. When it becomes obvious that your front men are winning zilch in the air, surely even players slow on the uptake can see it's not working and should try passing the bloody ball on the deck. It must be a lack of confidence, or basic lack of ability, or both.

Plus points? Well, I suppose the new players still need some time to gel. Oh, and the defence did ok, though we rode our luck at times.

I'm not entitled and I'm not going to show Ebbsfleet (who deserved to win) disrespect by calling them a pub team. But they are 22nd in the table for a reason, yet passed the ball around and created chances much better than we did.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

His past CV will be worth squat if he doesn’t sort this out… 

I’ve gone from:

’in Mellon we trust! ’

to

’in Mellon we trust…I suppose’

to 

‘In Mellon we trust?’

to

’Mellon needs to step up and justify our trust’

It's difficult to trust anything being a Latics fan.

I think Mellon will get time and rightly so but I'm finding some of his decisions bewildering at times, that post match yesterday  was a little bit different from the rest for me, he actually looked worried and a little perplexed, I suspect that's because he knows he's got to try and get a tune out of that bunch - minus Norwood and that's a massive ask. I'd snap your hand off for 7th right now.

2 hours ago, stargazer said:

I don't think TNT will be in any rush to show us again after that snoozefest. No goals from open play in 3 games , 2 at home and 2 against teams in the bottom 4 , is little short of pathetic. It looks to me the problem is the very defensive formation and the failure of midfield to create chances or dominate possession . Abandon the 5 at the back , and go to 4-4-2 . The division is terrible , Boreham Wood in 2nd haven't won in 5 ! I think the defence is ok , they appear to me to get caught a  bit flat footed when trying to play offside. I think he should have brought Hammond on yesterday .  The  previous manager would have been tore to shreds for the last 2 inept displays , time to go the attack ,and try to win 4-2 , 3-2 . My daughter looked absolutely gutted after yesterdays display , and is normally very upbeat about the team.  Let's succeed or fail going for it , not this drivel.

If you include the Hendon match it is no goals from open play in 4 games.

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

What is the “right fit” for us? 

The priority should be promotion and that doesn’t need to be by recreating the 1991 season. 

Of course there’s no guarantees but Mellon has won 5 promotions with 3 teams. Incidentally only one of those was in his first season. That was Shrewsbury and he was appointed in May. 

It may be outdated but I still associate us as being a side that plays on the front foot, action in both boxes etc.

I'm not sure you can just grind your way to a promotion these days and given our budget we really should at least be trying to offer more.

On budgets I think the five promotions thing needs a bit of context applying to it given he probably had one of the biggest budgets in the league for at least three of them...

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

It may be outdated but I still associate us as being a side that plays on the front foot, action in both boxes etc.

I'm not sure you can just grind your way to a promotion these days and given our budget we really should at least be trying to offer more.

On budgets I think the five promotions thing needs a bit of context applying to it given he probably had one of the biggest budgets in the league for at least three of them...

So you're saying that he's got a history of delivering success at this level with teams with big budgets and high expectations? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

So you're saying that he's got a history of delivering success at this level with teams with big budgets and high expectations? 

He does. You get the impression that some seem think he did it all against the odds though...