MATCH: Ebbsfleet (A) 03/02/24

8 minutes ago, Wardie said:

If it was following instructions then the season is well and truly done and also makes a mockery/waste of money of the recent midfield signings.

It is either the plan or the manager is stood there watching them do it, not sure which is worse...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

It is either the plan or the manager is stood there watching them do it, not sure which is worse...

Fair point. I was convinced after the head tennis against Woking first half that he would send an absolute rocket up them and that second half we would blow a crap Woking side away. Wrong.

Was a bit of deja vue yesterday. Is he a stubbon type and just won't change things?

13 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

You can have as many better midfield players as you want, but if the defenders just hoof it over their heads it makes no difference. Sadly and also because the game was such an awful watch, I rewound  from a hoofed clearance or two to see easy 10-15 yard passes on to the feet of a midfielder. Is that following instructions, a lack of awareness or panic?

They hoof it because when they do give it to Sheron or Lundstram they are usually facing their own goal. It then goes sideways or back to them so slowly that they are usually under pressure so have no option but to hoof it!.

Midfielders need to play on the half turn and ours just don't or can't.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

They hoof it because when they do give it to Sheron or Lundstram they are usually facing their own goal. It then goes sideways or back to them so slowly that they are usually under pressure so have no option but to hoof it!.

I'd suggest can't, Lundstrum turns on a six pence at times but it normally makes him dizzy and he has trouble finding a blue shirt on the back of it.

13 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Fair point. I was convinced after the head tennis against Woking first half that he would send an absolute rocket up them and that second half we would blow a crap Woking side away. Wrong.

Was a bit of deja vue yesterday. Is he a stubbon type and just won't change things?

No…that was Unsworth!!😂

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

You are all at a distinct advantage to me (cos I`ve only seen the last two games). Based purely on what I`ve seen there is not a snowball in hell's chance of going up because we have been dire. So, please can someone put their finger on why the last 2 games, we have looked like a mediocre amateur team? What's suddenly changed? People said to me after Woking at home that I simply had to wait and watch us stemroller Ebbsfleet away. I`m waiting... still waiting... I don't want to be negative but it's so damned hard after watching over 3 hours of utter dross.

It’s your fault! 😉

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

In the hurricane at home to Barnet the midfielders (particularly Conlon on his debut) did take it on the half turn and as a consequence we played football. I’m sure I wasn’t alone thinking it was a turning point. 

• Like 2

I’ve been seeing loads of references to talking the ball on the half-turn (at least three times over the past few pages of this thread).

Please can someone educate this football-tactics dimwit as to what this means in practice?

4 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

I’ve been seeing loads of references to talking the ball on the half-turn (at least three times over the past few pages of this thread).

Please can someone educate this football-tactics dimwit as to what this means in practice?

https://themastermindsite.com/2018/10/14/the-importance-of-receiving-the-ball-on-the-half-turn/

• Thanks 1

MM says he tells them to play positive and I assume not to hoof it either, so I always wonder when the team analyse the match during the week and MM says to the players "why did you keep passing backwards?" or " why did you just boot it to no-one?" I would love to know what the player's reply/ excuse is?

16 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

Not being directly facing the teammate passing you the ball thus enabling you to turn towards the opposition goal and pass to another teammate further upfield or (saints preserve us) have a shot on goal !!

20 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

It’s much easier to see the play when you receive it on the half turn. If your back is to the goal- you have to control it, then turn around, then look up. By which time you’ve invariably been dispossessed. 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

It’s much easier to see the play when you receive it on the half turn. If your back is to the goal- you have to control it, then turn around, then look up. By which time you’ve invariably been dispossessed. 

Cheers. That’s just playing football as I know it.

It’s depressing but I can see now why this is being mentioned on the board so regularly. A lot of our players simply don’t do that. Sigh!

28 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

Cheers. That’s just playing football as I know it.

It’s depressing but I can see now why this is being mentioned on the board so regularly. A lot of our players simply don’t do that. Sigh!

👍🏻

I know what it is, but it’s a lot more difficult than it sounds. You’ve essentially got to have a body position of playing sideways in anticipation of receiving the ball. Our midfield struggle to pass just stood up, so it’s no surprise we hardly ever see it. 😩

3 hours ago, Only Blue said:

MM says he tells them to play positive and I assume not to hoof it either, so I always wonder when the team analyse the match during the week and MM says to the players "why did you keep passing backwards?" or " why did you just boot it to no-one?" I would love to know what the player's reply/ excuse is?

My guess is they don't want to make a mistake so they hoof it away.

Whether they are told in training to clear their lines in this manner I don't know.

Micky & the players will be encouraged that we’ve got 10 days to look good in training before they realise that they only look good in training because they are playing against each other. That’s why we look great, because we’re so easy to play against. Then when an actual proper team turn up (yes even Boreham fing Wood) we’re all like oooo this is more difficult, Mark Shelton didn’t pass it round us this easily when we played against him in training heeey that’s not fair let me tackle you like Ben Tollitt let’s me tackle him in training, whhhyyy are you standing so close to me and marking me, Dan Ward never does that on little Wembley, mickyyy it’s not faiirrr

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Boroblue said:

Lol, do we need to take the advice of a Canadian football writer?

Taking the ball on the half turn is something you do when you know where the space is around you. If there is no space there is no point as you will have to pass back.

The players who appear to get on the half turn more often are those who are aware of what is around them. Players who regularly glance around. It bugs me greatly when a pass in made to a midfielder who is free with room to turn, and he just stays looking backwards and he then has to pass there. Not knowing where the space is around you and where players are moving is the biggest fault in football IMO.

14 hours ago, spanishfly said:

Pride before a fall.

The Boreham Wood game looks pretty significant now. After signs that we'd turned the corner we've put in four pretty dismal performances out of five in the calendar year. How will we cope without Norwood for anything up to 8 weeks? After a sparkling league debut we haven't seen much of Tom Conlon in the last two games, we have to get him on the ball more. Elsewhere we really are crying out for a bit of pace and power (Josh Stones...) but at the very least players need to be be competing and winning their individual battles. At least we welcome back Liam Hogan next time out, on the face of it he's been sorely missed in the last two games.

8 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

The Boreham Wood game looks pretty significant now. After signs that we'd turned the corner we've put in four pretty dismal performances out of five in the calendar year. How will we cope without Norwood for anything up to 8 weeks? After a sparkling league debut we haven't seen much of Tom Conlon in the last two games, we have to get him on the ball more. Elsewhere we really are crying out for a bit of pace and power (Josh Stones...) but at the very least players need to be be competing and winning their individual battles. At least we welcome back Liam Hogan next time out, on the face of it he's been sorely missed in the last two games.

Problems is with Hogan back its still 3 centre backs and McGahey in front of them.

14 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Problems is with Hogan back its still 3 centre backs and McGahey in front of them.

McGahey won't be in the team when Hogan comes back (unless injuries elsewhere). He didn't play against Barnet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1