MATCH: Ebbsfleet (A) 03/02/24

42 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

McGahey won't be in the team when Hogan comes back (unless injuries elsewhere). He didn't play against Barnet.

Don't rule him out starting in midfield instead of Lundstram. 

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

Lol, do we need to take the advice of a Canadian football writer?

Taking the ball on the half turn is something you do when you know where the space is around you. If there is no space there is no point as you will have to pass back.

The players who appear to get on the half turn more often are those who are aware of what is around them. Players who regularly glance around. It bugs me greatly when a pass in made to a midfielder who is free with room to turn, and he just stays looking backwards and he then has to pass there. Not knowing where the space is around you and where players are moving is the biggest fault in football IMO.

Jack Byrne was always a great example of what players should look to do. His first touch wasn't just to control the ball - it was progressive. Our lot seem to have to concentrate to bring the ball under control, by which point the opportunity is gone. 

23 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Jack Byrne was always a great example of what players should look to do. His first touch wasn't just to control the ball - it was progressive. Our lot seem to have to concentrate to bring the ball under control, by which point the opportunity is gone. 

Exactly the type of player we need.

19 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think their is a universal agreement that last night wasn't good enough and more performances like that will see any promotion hopes drift away.

It was more to do with the fact that we are on tv comparatively regularly certainly more than we were at any time since we left what is now the championship. As someone who only ever does a handful of aways at best a season it does atleast give me a chance of watching more games. 

Yes I take your point, and if we were playing more attractive football and winning more often I'd definitely agree (and we might be on TV more often, a virtuous circle), but boy oh boy Saturday night was a hard watch.

19 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'd suggest can't, Lundstrum turns on a six pence at times but it normally makes him dizzy and he has trouble finding a blue shirt on the back of it.

For me the issue with Lundstram seems to be how long it takes him to process what's in front of him

It seems to take 5 seconds or so after him seeing a pass to realise it's on, and by then it's usually not there anymore, and then he ends up having no option but to go back

Saw it again on Saturday where Kitching goes on the overlap when Lundstram has it on the left touchline, obvious ball to most, but he waits, Kitching has then gone too far past so the full back is in the way of the pass a bit, and then he has no choice but to play a short ball to Conlon who's immediately under pressure 

• Like 1

I know its been done to death on this thread, but it still makes me wonder why MM fails to get the team to play in many games. 

I accept that he sets them up over defensively but I refuse to accept that he asks them to hoof the ball away at every opportunity and tells them not to shoot or cross the ball when in good positions.

I cannot fathom why he allows his teams play with no tempo when in possession, and no energy when closing down the opposition.

I find it baffling that he sees his players so often fail to compete for the second ball and win tackles, and does not manage to improve it.

Is he watching the same performances as we are?

Him saying "we go again" is wearing very thin at the moment. Sort it Mickey!

Edited by TheBigDog
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Norewgian Gunnar said:

I think Jack Byrne is enjoying himself in Dublin playing for Shamrock Rovers

Just watched the "highlights". I did watch game on Saturday in Fanzone Bar. Perhaps highlights now need to be renamed lowlights

‘I did watch game on Saturday in Fan zone Bar.’

What was the atmosphere like in there?

It was every bit as bad if not worse 2nd time round!!

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I know its been done to death on this thread, but it still makes me wonder why MM fails to get the team to play in many games. 

I accept that he sets them up over defensively but I refuse to accept that he asks them to hoof the ball away at every opportunity and tells them not to shoot or cross the ball when in good positions.

I cannot fathom why he allows his teams play with no tempo when in possession, and no energy when closing down the opposition.

I find it baffling that he sees his players so often fail to compete for the second ball and win tackles.

Weirdest thing for me is he has the biggest squad in the NL bar none yet continues to to pick players consistently churning out 4/10 performances, look at when we've been embarrassed and the teams he puts out the gam after, those who've had shockers invariably trot out again, if that's allowed to happen your setting a pretty low benchmark.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Weirdest thing for me is he has the biggest squad in the NL bar none yet continues to to pick players consistently churning out 4/10 performances, look at when we've been embarrassed and the teams he puts out the gam after, those who've had shockers invariably trot out again, if that's allowed to happen your setting a pretty low benchmark.

It’s very concerning that he seemingly cannot get any sort of performance out of them.

Even when we’ve won we’ve been  generally unconvincing and rather fortunate on several occasions!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I find it baffling that he sees his players so often fail to compete for the second ball and win tackles, and does not manage to improve it.

When Unsworth left - Matt & Dave did in an interview with Alex Reid and asked him if DU was a defensive manager and that’s why we struggled. He said no- not at all he was always asking us to attack. . . 

Micky in his presser before Ebbsfleet said - I’m always telling the players to play when we have the ball and go and express themselves. 

In both instances - what the manager is saying and what we are watching are two different things. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

When Unsworth left - Matt & Dave did in an interview with Alex Reid and asked him if DU was a defensive manager and that’s why we struggled. He said no- not at all he was always asking us to attack. . . 

Micky in his presser before Ebbsfleet said - I’m always telling the players to play when we have the ball and go and express themselves. 

In both instances - what the manager is saying and what we are watching are two different things. 

Many moons ago I was on the books at Witton Albion who were at NPL level (so same league level as what we're in now). Since seeing Latics again past 2 games, I`ve not seen anyone yet who stands out as being above the top tier of non-league level. Worryingly, some look well below it. I know times have changed but I think you know a good footballer when you see one. You can soon identify a poor one. 

I`ve read on here about mental frailty, lacking leaders on the pitch and the fact that midfielders can't take the ball on the half-turn. So, in answer to the "saying and seeing two different things" perhaps it's simply the case that we have too many sub-standard players. It certainly looks like that on the evidence I have seen. 

If we have massively outlayed for these players, then something is seriously wrong at Latics and someone needs to get a grip before we waste all the money of a very generous benefactor.

34 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So IF Unsworth kept on at them to attack more and Mellon continues the same pattern and they continue to ignore him I'd suggest nothing is likely to change any time soon, it's almost as if the tails wagging the dog.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I don't think they'd say in public they prefer 7 at the back, even if they believe in it.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

A big squad, yes, but if 80% of the squad are performing below par, who does he pick? I can't decide if they are not good enough or just can't be arsed. Fucking baffling.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:39 AM, BP1960 said:

And MM won't even encourage our own youths by adding some of them to the first team squad.

He should have attended last weeks youth match to see for himself.

Also the way Sutton has been treated is a disgrace, a far better centre back than McGahey IMO.

What Walker has done wrong is beyond me, he's just the sort of all action player badly needed in this team.

11 hours ago, Wardie said:

A big squad, yes, but if 80% of the squad are performing below par, who does he pick? I can't decide if they are not good enough or just can't be arsed. Fucking baffling.

I guess is somewhere between.  As you exert yourself in any sport, there is a comfortable level of exercise (which increases with fitness), then it becomes uncomfortable because you start getting those tired and breathless feeling from lactic acid buildup. At that point you are probably at 80% of your max capacity to exercise. Most can push it a bit, but to get close to 100% you need motivation, both self and other (loyalty to manager, team mates, club).

IMO the players are good enough, evidenced by the few good performances, or good spells.

So the issues are to a large extent motivation. Lots of factors to get right here from club and management. Buying the right players at the right point in their careers. Handling them in the right way, getting the right culture in the dressing room etc etc

Compliated!

• Bender unfeatured this topic