MATCH: Ebbsfleet (A) 03/02/24

7 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Made up hyperbole 🤣🤣🤣 do you read this forum.

It was poor. But Jesus wept, some of the shit posted.

Not sure what you’re reading- what shit? 

I’m reading people calling it for what it is - woeful. 

Are you concerned with the last two performance? Or is everything rosy? 

Frustrating night.

The defensive unit was decent enough, but the set up is far too defensive for a match like that.  Especially on the back of the Dorking and Woking matches where we performed really poorly with the same set up regardless of the win or loss.

4-3-3 would work with the players in the squad we have.  Sachdev and Kitching need support from players in front of them, with the present formation there are too many players in the middle of the park who aren't making enough of an impact.

I'd be calling for Dallas to be part of that front 3 but, despite being out of position, I was disappointed with the lack of impact that he had on the game.

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Not sure what you’re reading- what shit? 

I’m reading people calling it for what it is - woeful. 

Are you concerned with the last two performance? Or is everything rosy? 

I'm not concerned. 

That was truly horrific again, I really have no idea what the tactics were and what the aim of the club is at the moment. 

Hudson - MOM and kept us in it second half as he often has to. Still annoys me with his incredibly slow goal kicks and time wasting, his body language typifies this squad but at least he does his job.

Sachdev - Looked nervous early on, is at least an actual right back rather than Sutton being there but still looks very average and doesn’t affect the game

Kitch - Looks depressed most of the time, started well but faded and him and McGahey were a shambles defensively 

McGahey - Yes Harrison what the fuck are you doing here? Dreadful player, so limited in his ability it is untrue

Hobson - Reminds me of an old Sunday league player I played with, absolutely wins everything off the ground but when the ball is on the grass he is an absolute donkey and just hoofs it to the other team 

Raglan - solid again but very quiet and really doesn’t seem to organise the rest of the defence and I don’t think he realises (nor Hobson) that we have a midfield

Lundstram - possibly the worst so called midfielder I have ever seen play for Latics, can’t tackle, can’t pass.

Sheron - oh wait, maybe there is one as bad, runs around a bit, points a lot, shouts for no obvious reason, achieves very little

Conlon - I stood next to his family in the first half (seemed lovely people) they were pretty perplexed as to why we didn’t seem to be using our midfield for anything other than having a regulation eleven players on the pitch! I fear this poor lad has just made a very bad career choice

Garner - apparently he used to be a very good player a long time ago. So that’s nice. I genuinely didn’t notice he was on the pitch

Norwood - He must be so pissed off playing for us, mind you, doesn’t look like he’ll have to worry about that for a while now.

MM - So what is the plan Micky? What style of football do you prefer? Do you have a pathological hatred of midfield? Are you actually any better or different from DU? Is Melonball just Rhinoball with James Norwood?

The Fans - 263 at feckin Ebbsfleet on a Saturday night, is it really worth it anymore?

• Like 1

I don't understand why MM has brought in these players he wants, to improve the squad and has stayed with the same set up. I thought he was playing long ball because we had no midfield. Well he's brought in two midfielders, one who has pedegree and should be able to dictate play in the middle and we consistently send it flying over his head. Why? I fully believe MM will get it sorted, he's done it multiple times in the past, I just want it to be sooner rather than later. 

Conlon had a proper Lundstram there today. I was hoping/expecting him to drag the rest along with some positivity tbh. It’s very early days with these signings. In Mellon I still trust anyway. I think it will be some effort to not get in the playoffs. I’m not worried about these last two performances. The sooner we play some better teams the better. 

18 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

No. He was in a much more advanced position. And he’s a class finisher. Surprised to see him miss. Wasn’t surprised with Fondops effort tho. 

Really?  He's done it a few times this season.  And did it again later in the game just before he got injured.  We'd be stuffed without him though, etc..

Fondop's not the mega-money signing that Norwood is, or someone who comes with the same high pedigree but is the only striker we have that gets involved and tries to make things happen when things aren't working.

If in Dallas and Garner, we've just signed another couple of Norwoods who just want everything on a plate, I think we might be a bit fucked...

Edited by JoeP

Having been away from Latics for over 5 years, I was cautious in my views after the shocker of a performance last week. My first time seeing Latics again, I didn't know any players and had read some really positive stuff on here. So, I thought last week was a one-off aberration. I played at a reasonable level and watched Latics for a long, long time before emigrating. On the evidence of the last 2 games, this is the worst Latics side I have ever seen. Perhaps not surprising in itself because we are now non-league, of course, but I never imagined we could be of such a poor standard. What is surprising is the amount of money we've reportedly been throwing at players. Who on Earth is sanctioning these deals (?) because, on the face of it, you've bought one huge pile of smelly stuff.

I`ll leave it at that because I can't add much more. 

• Like 2

I reckon our front two today would probably be on as much as that Ebbsfleet starting eleven. Like everything else the recruitment has been done without any real plan and the fact we had eight recognised centre forwards on the books this week is testament to that, we still have six as we speak.

21 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Having been away from Latics for over 5 years, I was cautious in my views after the shocker of a performance last week. My first time seeing Latics again, I didn't know any players and had read some really positive stuff on here. So, I thought last week was a one-off aberration. I played at a reasonable level and watched Latics for a long, long time before emigrating. On the evidence of the last 2 games, this is the worst Latics side I have ever seen. Perhaps not surprising in itself because we are now non-league, of course, but I never imagined we could be of such a poor standard. What is surprising is the amount of money we've reportedly been throwing at players. Who on Earth is sanctioning these deals (?) because, on the face of it, you've bought one huge pile of smelly stuff.

I`ll leave it at that because I can't add much more. 

Having watched us for decades I am struggling with the transition to genuine non league mid table. You are 100% correct though, this is the worst squad of supposed footballers we have ever had at BP and I’m afraid this is the level we are at for the foreseeable future

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I reckon our front two today would probably be on as much as that Ebbsfleet starting eleven. Like everything else the recruitment has been done without any real plan and the fact we had eight recognised centre forwards on the books this week is testament to that, we still have six as we speak.

It’s a shambles and tbh MM has probably added to the chaos 

How refreshing it was to watch a youth team last week playing a great brand of attacking football.

All the players gave 100% against one of the biggest roughest youth sides I've ever seen. They looked like they actually enjoyed playing football.

If only the first team management and players could follow this example.

I love this idea that Norwood is carrying us and we will be lost without him! Seriously? He barely features in most games, sure if he gets a few chances he usually takes one of them plus he scores any penalties we get but most of the time he is fighting for scraps and Fondop does that just as well, probably better tbh.

No other team has Norwood and yet there are 7 teams above us in the table

What we need is a midfield that can dictate a game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

I love this idea that Norwood is carrying us and we will be lost without him! Seriously? He barely features in most games, sure if he gets a few chances he usually takes one of them plus he scores any penalties we get but most of the time he is fighting for scraps and Fondop does that just as well, probably better tbh.

No other team has Norwood and yet there are 7 teams above us in the table

What we need is a midfield that can dictate a game

I think it might have something to do with him scoring 16 goals for us this season, when nobody else has got more than 5...

• Like 2

Today was disappointing. Not sure what the plan was supposed to be, and the lack of intent to try to win the game was frustrating. Ebbsfleet were better than us, but only very slightly. 0-0 was probably fair. 

Hudson was great, and Hobson and Raglan were solid. Wing-backs were fine but nothing more. The rest of them were all pretty hopeless... 

Some strange substitutions from MM today, too. No idea where Dallas was supposed to be playing, but I don't think I've ever seen a player have such little influence on a game. He was on for 40 minutes and I genuinely don't remember him touching the ball. Garner showed one or two nice touches, but nothing more. We had no control at all in the middle of the park, but that's partly because we persisted with aimlessly hoofing it over the midfield for pretty much the whole game. 

Still, a point away from home... 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

I think it might have something to do with him scoring 16 goals for us this season, when nobody else has got more than 5...

He plays every feckin game, Fondop and the others get occasional starts and mostly late substitutions 

Just back after another long day on the road. Times and games like that where I really do question my sanity travelling all that way for an evening game that is on TV. Absolute rubbish game to watch, and no idea what the tactics were in that game to get on top of and try and dominate a team in the relegation places. Sadly we’ve seen it time and again though, so no major surprise.

I have faith MM is the right man and will get it right, but I have to question some of the decisions around recruitment and tactics here. It’s plain for all to see that we are horrific in Midfield. Conlon is an improvement, even though he’s been pretty poor himself since his great debut, but when you still have to pick Lundstram and Sheron in a midfield your never going to be able to control a game. Lundstram for me has been a huge huge let down. I’m hoping MM sees this and we’ve just not been able to sign any improvements in that position, but maybe thats just wishful thinking. 
Not sure why we’ve signed Walker, who I think has done well in his appearances. He travelled with the squad and was involved with the warm ups, along with Ward. 
Not sure why Green came on either. He put him at RWB, and he was completely ineffective. 
McGahey is McGahey, very very limited, and surely in his last season with us. Raglan and Hudson excellent, and defensively Hobson is as good as it gets at this level, apart from hoofing it at every opportunity. 
I’ve been critical of Hogan in his spell with us, but he’s been good this last few months, and I think we’ve missed him in these last 2 games. Not saying that’s why we’ve only picked up 1 point, because he’s been missing, but he’s a massive upgrade on McGahey. Speaking of Hogan, some Latics fans need to give their heads a wobble. Abusing a player at FT who hasn’t even played and been involved. Don’t care if it’s the club captain, it was out of order full stop. I’ve seen some comments around the lines of he shouldn’t be doing other jobs and getting paid for them when he’s banned from his club. I’m sure he’d rather be out there, and he’s said himself, thats how he’ll always play, on the edge, where bookings are part and parcel of his game.  
Oh and there were more than 260 of us there too!!! They didn’t even both scanning any of our tickets. 
On to Maidenhead, tickets purchased, and hopefully 2 weeks from now not questioning my sanity. 

Edited by daniel
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, daniel said:

Just back after another long day on the road. Times and games like that where I really do question my sanity travelling all that way for an evening game that is on TV. Absolute rubbish game to watch, and no idea what the tactics were in that game to get on top of and try and dominate a team in the relegation places. Sadly we’ve seen it time and again though, so no major surprise.

I have faith MM is the right man and will get it right, but I have to question some of the decisions around recruitment and tactics here. It’s plain for all to see that we are horrific in Midfield. Conlon is an improvement, even though he’s been pretty poor himself since his great debut, but when you still have to pick Lundstram and Sheron in a midfield your never going to be able to control a game. Lundstram for me has been a huge huge let down. I’m hoping MM sees this and we’ve just not been able to sign any improvements in that position, but maybe thats just wishful thinking. 
Not sure why we’ve signed Walker, who I think has done well in his appearances. He travelled with the squad and was involved with the warm ups, along with Ward. 
Not sure why Green came on either. He put him at RWB, and he was completely ineffective. 
McGahey is McGahey, very very limited, and surely in his last season with us. Raglan and Hudson excellent, and defensively Hobson is as good as it gets at this level, apart from hoofing it at every opportunity. 
I’ve been critical of Hogan in his spell with us, but he’s been good this last few months, and I think we’ve missed him in these last 2 games. Not saying that’s why we’ve only picked up 1 point, because he’s been missing, but he’s a massive upgrade on McGahey. Speaking of Hogan, some Latics fans need to give their heads a wobble. Abusing a player at FT who hasn’t even played and been involved. Don’t care if it’s the club captain, it was out of order full stop. I’ve seen some comments around the lines of he shouldn’t be doing other jobs and getting paid for them when he’s banned from his club. I’m sure he’d rather be out there, and he’s said himself, thats how he’ll always play, on the edge, where bookings are part and parcel of his game.  
Oh and there were more than 260 of us there too!!! They didn’t even both scanning any of our tickets. 
On to Maidstone, tickets purchased, and hopefully 2 weeks from now not questioning my sanity. 

Great post, and spot on.

I salute you Dan. 

I’m not sure I want to watch us from my armchair never mind doing 400/500 mile round trips. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Great post, and spot on.

I salute you Dan. 

I’m not sure I want to watch us from my armchair never mind doing 400/500 mile round trips. 

Agreed although he won’t see us playing in Maidstone 🤣