Micky Mellon Sack Watch

13 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Whilst i'm all for giving Mellon time, I do think there needs to be some communication from the football club especially from the CEO who has been pretty anonymous in the 2 seasons he's been in charge of the club. It's ok speaking regularly with the Foundation but he really needs to communicate to the wider fan base via the official channels. We hear plenty from Frank which is all very nice but it's not about the football which has been largely shite since he took over. The club are now asking us fans to put our hands in our pockets for season tickets whilst we remain pretty much in the dark about the plans that were put in place. I remember DR saying on the podcast sometime ago all the off field stuff was to guarantee success on the pitch. We had a recruitment team headed up by Thompson, scouting team and stats based analysis. Is this still the plan and if so who is now in charge of recruitment. What happened to the B team? They seem to have come in with all these plans, it's turned to crap pretty quickly under Unsworth and now we are just winging it whilst throwing good money after bad. I would suggest before we look at replacing Mellon, there needs to be a total rethink from the top and it would be nice if that was shared with the fans.

Agreed. 

I’d like some accountability or acknowledgment for the mistakes made- especially around recruitment. 

How does it actually work in practice?

Why is the process allowing us to sign multiple players of the same position leaving gaping holes in the side. 

Are they comfortable with the size of the squad, after saying at the last fan forum they wanted a smaller squad with better quality. . .

Are players recruited for a style of play, or just because they’ve played higher? 

29 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Whilst i'm all for giving Mellon time, I do think there needs to be some communication from the football club especially from the CEO who has been pretty anonymous in the 2 seasons he's been in charge of the club. It's ok speaking regularly with the Foundation but he really needs to communicate to the wider fan base via the official channels. We hear plenty from Frank which is all very nice but it's not about the football which has been largely shite since he took over. The club are now asking us fans to put our hands in our pockets for season tickets whilst we remain pretty much in the dark about the plans that were put in place. I remember DR saying on the podcast sometime ago all the off field stuff was to guarantee success on the pitch. We had a recruitment team headed up by Thompson, scouting team and stats based analysis. Is this still the plan and if so who is now in charge of recruitment. What happened to the B team? They seem to have come in with all these plans, it's turned to crap pretty quickly under Unsworth and now we are just winging it whilst throwing good money after bad. I would suggest before we look at replacing Mellon, there needs to be a total rethink from the top and it would be nice if that was shared with the fans.

Oh look who's crawled out from under his rock.

• Like 3

The fact we have a squad of about 35 players and yet can’t get 11 of them to play half decent for 45mins never mind 90 is mind boggling!

The football is absolutely dire!!

He’s obviously going to get the summer and a window to sort it out but with a total lack of progress to date, 30 games in, (2/3 of a season) I have no confidence in him whatsoever.

If we are rolling along in 8th/10th at Christmas will that be acceptable?

How long should he actually get?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

If we don't make the playoffs, the club would be well within their rights to remove him...

They'd be within their right to remove him if we made the play offs. In either case it wouldn't make it the right thing to do.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

well within their rights to remove him...

They are well within their right’s to remove him anytime surely, it’s the small matter of contract compensation they would have to deal with putting them off I would think?

However, I sincerely hope that after the Unsworth debacle the contract is somewhat performance based!!

• Like 2

It’s a mystery how things just don’t seem to be clicking together. Whether it’s the players not warming to Mellon ( although I’m pretty old fashioned in that sense, do as you are told ) or Mellon has just lost his touch. I’d definitely give the summer because who on earth would we get? 

12 minutes ago, True Tic said:

It’s a mystery how things just don’t seem to be clicking together. Whether it’s the players not warming to Mellon ( although I’m pretty old fashioned in that sense, do as you are told ) or Mellon has just lost his touch. I’d definitely give the summer because who on earth would we get? 

There was a home game a while back (I’m sure someone will remember) they had played a practice match midweek in a different shape, we lost the league game and afterwards Mellon said - ‘I tried to do something different today and it didn’t work, from now on we’ll stick to what we’re good at it, I know what we are now. The blindingly obvious implication was- we’re not good enough to play so it will be percentages football. 

What does that say to the players- who at times have shown they can play some lovely football. . I can understand players switching off if the message is always the same. 

But then when the team started getting flak for the percentages football- Mellon changed his tune and said he asks them to play, and is totally perplexed as to why they hoof it. . 

So if it’s mixed messages in the media, what are the players thinking? 

Personally I think he initially had buy in from the players because of his past record. But I’m not sure the players believe in him anymore, or they’re definitely having their doubts about him- the performances tell you that. 

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Mellon and Brabin should be at the youth team match today v Walsall (11am Chapel Road)

If not and they come up with some excuse it's shows a complete disregard to our young lads.

They'd see a different type of football though from a coach who had got them playing on the front foot with pace, skill and enthusiasm.

Ps, I didn't see any sign of them to witness 5 goals, a brilliant exhibition of fast flowing football and inspirational coaching from Chukwuma Akuneto.

What else were they doing that was priority and couldn't have been dealt with at Chapel Road? Certainly not coaching the first team as we all know that makes not the slightest difference.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Someone young, enthusiastic and innovative 

if we’d gone for youth and innovation and it had backfired then we’d be saying should have gone for the tried and tested Mellon. Damned if you do etc .  I do think there is a real mentality issue which had dogged us for a while now. Their resilience when under pressure or conceding is atrocious, the slightest disgruntled reaction from the fans and the heads drop. The ability is surely there, it’s the collective mentality

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, True Tic said:

if we’d gone for youth and innovation and it had backfired then we’d be saying should have gone for the tried and tested Mellon. Damned if you do etc .  I do think there is a real mentality issue which had dogged us for a while now. Their resilience when under pressure or conceding is atrocious, the slightest disgruntled reaction from the fans and the heads drop. The ability is surely there, it’s the collective mentality

Need some leaders, starting with a Captain who can drag the team up when required. Shocking lack of communication on the pitch at times and I don't count Norwood having a bitch about everything in that.

21 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Yes, agree. I think the time you young and innovative was summer 22. But I hope we go that way sooner rather than later 

23 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Need some leaders, starting with a Captain who can drag the team up when required. Shocking lack of communication on the pitch at times and I don't count Norwood having a bitch about everything in that.

Give the captaincy to Dan Garder played his heart out again.

1 minute ago, mick26 said:

Yes limping at the end again - needs releasing at the end of the season unfortunately.

He played well yesterday. Their was a part of the 1st half too where he was rabble rousing and encouraging the players to talk I could hear him in the North Stand so the players should have been able to hear him. But we can't rely on his fitness and even when he is he fit he can often be inconsistent so unfortunately we probably need to release him and get someone who we can get 30-40 games out of a season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Give the captaincy to Dan Garder played his heart out again.

Shame he's not three years younger, must be frustrating for him as there's no doubt it's a struggle for him physically at times, he cares though which is more than can be said for some.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, True Tic said:

I still think Pete wild will end up back here… based on absolutely nothing . 

He’s worked hard to get Barrow punching way above their weight and challenging for automatic promotion on a budget well down in the bottom half. He’ll probably be a target for clubs much higher up in the summer, especially if he manages promotion.

Why would he come here and have to start all over again?

Anyone other than the Lemsagam’s would have kept him on, he was the perfect fit for us and a Latics fan too!!

I reckon that we’d have to get out of this league first for him to ever consider a return and that looks a long way off unfortunately!

He’s Oldham through & through and would have been the perfect fit alongside the Rothwell’s but I think that ship has well & truly sailed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

He’s worked hard to get Barrow punching way above their weight and challenging for automatic promotion on a budget well down in the bottom half. He’ll probably be a target for clubs much higher up in the summer, especially if he manages promotion.

Why would he come here and have to start all over again?

Anyone other than the Lemsagam’s would have kept him on, he was the perfect fit for us and a Latics fan too!!

I reckon that we’d have to get out of this league first for him to ever consider a return and that looks a long way off unfortunately!

He’s Oldham through & through and would have been the perfect fit alongside the Rothwell’s but I think that ship has well & truly sailed.

You’re probably right, and I said it based on nothing at all. I just think he’d get more out of this lot than both DU and MM. 

Tomorrow I think we will play well and put in a decent display. Maybe get a point but then the next home game will probably be another painful experience. 

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Crazy to think we let that man walk away

Wonder how he'd of used the budget Frank put up?

Hard to say but I think the mentality would have been more positive throughout the squad