Micky Mellon Sack Watch

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Look it's the first attempt at trying to get promotion it's not gone well but it's not the end of days. We could be at this level for another couple years the important thing is we learn from it.

Look at Chesterfield the first season down here they were fighting relegation in 2021-22 they finished 7th. 2022-23 they finished 3rd and lost out to a penalty shootout at Wembley (I bet that bloody hurt) But this season they recovered again learned more and won the league at a canter.

I'm sure Frank Rothwell had all manner of failings in his early business career some of them could well have been quite painful but he learned his lessons and built himself a successful business it's the sane process here. All we've done this season is find a way not to get promotion it's an opportunity now to learn from that and come back stronger next year. Trust the process.

I’ve mentioned this a few times now so it’s probably getting boring!.. Chesterfield were right at the top end of the table in Feb 2022 when their manager left and Cook was appointed. They’d played 26 and had 54 points. Cook came in and got 23 points from 18 games, they clung on for 7th. 

Did he improve them? Clearly not. He hadn’t won anything for 5 years. Did they give him time? Yes. Next season they were flying high but had a bad 10 games and dropped down again. Again, they didn’t panic and they won the league by miles in his second full season. 

The 8 above us on the league all bar one (Gateshead) have managers who’ve been there at least 1 full season. The top 4 have managers that are in their 3rd seasons at least. 

We just have to give someone some proper time. 

• Like 10

I see a lot of folk talk about MM’s signings, but let’s not forget January is a notoriously harder transfer window, with clubs unwilling to offload the players in their plans unless of course your throwing cash around, which we didn’t. He’s made 3 permanent signings, one of them a low risk one in Hammond who will be on peanuts. Garner did well originally and I still think he’s a good squad member for next season. Conlon has been a disappointment, but we were all buzzing when we signed him, and he’s played EFL his entire career so there must be a player there somewhere. I don’t massively judge a manager on loan signings, especially kids as they are all a risk in terms of if they can step up to mens football, and no one knows until they actually play. Some work and some don’t, we move on quickly from Loans. 
We’d be crazy to get rid of him at this stage when he hasn’t had any time to assemble a squad and deliver a pre-season. If we start badly again, like we did this season, then he’ll be under pressure quickly, as was DU, but we have to let him get on with the summer plans now. 

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

So….should we have stuck with Unsworth then?

We did stick with Unsworth, he was given a summer to recruit his own players etc. It was a mistake, but he was given that opportunity. Mellon should be offered the same. Changing managers again will just keep taking us backwards. How many managers do we need to go through for people to start getting this?

I'm not saying we should just blindly back him btw. The drop in form has been concerning, and if we don't hit the ground running next season then his position should be in jeopardy. But unless there's a ready made, nailed on success waiting to replace him I don't see what we gain by getting rid tbh

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

So….should we have stuck with Unsworth then?

Absolutely not but we now seem to be retracing our steps for some unearthly reason.

We are a huge club for this level and expectations are huge too and rightly so!

That's why we shouldn't be getting played off the park at home, and I mean no disrespect, by unheard of club's with far lesser resources 

Mellon, for all his experience and cute CV, IMO, hasn’t improved us one iota.

Even allowing for our obvious deficiencies he should surely by now, be able to get 11 out of this squad of 32 players playing to a decent and consistent standard. Apart from a smattering of youngster’s these players are experienced pro’s who’ve done it before at this level and several in divisions higher up!

Maybe the player's don't buy into his methods but at the end of the day, that's something he has to put right and good results are the only way of showing it.

Out of the 6 players he signed in January non are regular starters and a couple can’t even make the match day squad!  We didn’t need squad players, we had enough of them, what we needed were players able to go straight in to the side and make a difference, otherwise, what was the actual point!

The budget has certainly taken a hammering and that can't be good going forward.

I really hope he comes good but IMO he’s done nothing to suggest that he will. If we are struggling around Xmas time and not firmly in the playoff places do we just stick with it?

After paying off Unsworths contract, do we really have any choice?

We shall see how it unfolds but serious improvements on the pitch are the minimum requirement.

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

he was given a summer to recruit his own players

If the board were in any doubt at all he should have gone in May.

If the same happens with Mellon we will be in deep shit!

We have a few players who obviously need to go but they’re not all incapable. I can’t think of a single player who has improved since Mellon came in!

I wouldn’t give him a blank cheque book…I would give him 2 or 3 signings for the key positions where we are lightweight but no more until he improves our play and demonstrates that he’s capable of moving us forward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I’ve mentioned this a few times now so it’s probably getting boring!.. Chesterfield were right at the top end of the table in Feb 2022 when their manager left and Cook was appointed. They’d played 26 and had 54 points. Cook came in and got 23 points from 18 games, they clung on for 7th. 

Did he improve them? Clearly not. He hadn’t won anything for 5 years. Did they give him time? Yes. Next season they were flying high but had a bad 10 games and dropped down again. Again, they didn’t panic and they won the league by miles in his second full season. 

The 8 above us on the league all bar one (Gateshead) have managers who’ve been there at least 1 full season. The top 4 have managers that are in their 3rd seasons at least. 

We just have to give someone some proper time. 

I think overall the majority see this. My major arguement about giving managers time is not that I'm happy with recent results or the results so far under Mr Mellon or even that sacking managers isn't particularly nice but the fact that churning through managers has failed us time and time again and breaking that will be critical to seeing us succeed. 

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Mellon, for all his experience and cute CV, IMO, hasn’t improved us one iota.

Even allowing for our obvious deficiencies he should surely by now, be able to get 11 out of this squad of 32 players playing to a decent and consistent standard. Apart from a smattering of youngster’s these players are experienced pro’s who’ve done it before at this level and several in divisions higher up!

Out of the 6 players he signed in January none are regular starters and a couple can’t even make the match day squad!  We didn’t need squad players, we had enough of them, what we needed were players able to go straight in to the side and make a difference, otherwise, what was the actual point!

I really hope he comes good but IMO he’s done nothing to suggest that he will. If we are struggling around Xmas time and not firmly in the playoff places do we just stick with it?

to your final sentence, and accepting that it is pure speculation...nope we don't. 

6 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think overall the majority see this. My major arguement about giving managers time is not that I'm happy with recent results or the results so far under Mr Mellon or even that sacking managers isn't particularly nice but the fact that churning through managers has failed us time and time again and breaking that will be critical to seeing us succeed. 

It's like England cricket, do you stick with Bairstow who is in a poor run of form, but has a good past reputation or go for a younger player who you hope will come good? 

35 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I wouldn’t give him a blank cheque book…I would give him 2 or 3 signings for the key positions where we are lightweight but no more until he improves our play and demonstrates that he’s capable of moving us forward.

This doesn't fix anything though, does it? So then if he doesn't demonstrate that, yet another manager has to inherit the same squad, and then the cycle starts again?

36 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

If the board were in any doubt at all he should have gone in May.

If the same happens with Mellon we will be in deep shit!

We have a few players who obviously need to go but they’re not all incapable. I can’t think of a single player who has improved since Mellon came in!

2 wingers and a right sided full back all of good quality and I think we will improve considerably.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It's like England cricket, do you stick with Bairstow who is in a poor run of form, but has a good past reputation or go for a younger player who you hope will come good? 

Kind off

But if we are to use the cricketing analogy one of the reasons central contracts came in was to commit players to England and stop the chopping abd changing of the team which was seen as a contributing factor to the underachievement of English cricket in the 90's.

13 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Kind off

But if we are to use the cricketing analogy one of the reasons central contracts came in was to commit players to England and stop the chopping abd changing of the team which was seen as a contributing factor to the underachievement of English cricket in the 90's.

Good answer, unfortunately we have some contracted players  who won't be considered for regular selection next season.

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

I can’t think of a single player who has improved since Mellon came in!

Lundstram is showing green shoots.

Raglan had been dropped after a substandard start before Mellon came in, but is now probably the #1 pick at the back.

Hudson isn't everyone's cup of tea, but has made the #1 shirt his own.

Gardner (retire please) is probably playing at the top of his game - certainly better than what he was under DU.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:
1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:
3 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Raglan had been dropped after a substandard start before Mellon came in, but is now probably the #1 pick at the back.

Gardner (retire please) is probably playing at the top of his game - certainly better than what he was under DU.

Seen Lundstram have one decent game

Raglan has been OK but should be at this level

Hudson was No.1 pre Mellon so don’t think you could put that down to him

We know what Gardner is capable of when fit, he’s no better or worse than when he came in and is playing for a new contract.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Gardner is trying to put his usual decent half a dozen games in to bluff another contract.

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

If we're going to quote win % the only one that matters is league wins.

DU in his first season was 35.14% as you say, 13 from 37. By the time he left it was 14 from 46, or 30.43%. 

MM has 11 wins from 28 or 39.29%. Until the current poor run of 8 without a win he was consistently > 50%, which is a high threshold.

He is demonstrably a better manager than DU. I hope he is still up for the challenge - if so, he should be given a summer transfer window and the whole of next season (barring catastrophe, obviously) to show what he can do.

I'm not saying in managerial terms he's no better than Rhino...which is a pretty low bar.

He should fucking be based on his experience at lower league level. 

I'm also not suggesting we should have stayed with Rhino...I've always said he should have gone way before he did.

However I'm just being realistic.

His overall record in on par with Unsworth which is unacceptable....as Unsworths was. 

All this bollocks about him having a good run before imploding is irrelevant. Rhinos record somehow was brilliant after Xmas last year which doesn't mean hes a brilliant manager!!

Mellon got us into a great position to extend the season TICK.... but couldnt get us over the line FAIL.

Also the inept performances in the FA Trophy, something we could have won, cannot be ignored.

A trip to Wembley is a nice distraction and a good revenue stream. It's not done Solihul ot Gateshead any harm has it, as they are both comfortable in the top 7 and their supporters have at least one big day out at Wembley to look forward to. 

I can't be arsed to drive 30 mins to Oxford on Saterday such is our implosion.

Mellon will get the summer and beyond to turn things around...unless we lose our last 3 games which would really put the pressure on the board. 

He needs to make the right decisions on signings and how we play though otherwise he will be gone by Xmas and we start again🤯

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

If we're going to quote win % the only one that matters is league wins.

DU in his first season was 35.14% as you say, 13 from 37. By the time he left it was 14 from 46, or 30.43%. 

MM has 11 wins from 28 or 39.29%. Until the current poor run of 8 without a win he was consistently > 50%, which is a high threshold.

He is demonstrably a better manager than DU. I hope he is still up for the challenge - if so, he should be given a summer transfer window and the whole of next season (barring catastrophe, obviously) to show what he can do.

I'm not saying in managerial terms he's no better than Rhino...which is a pretty low bar.

I'm also not suggesting we should have stayed with Rhino...I've always said he should have gone way before he did.

His overall record in on par with Unsworth which is unacceptable....as Unsworths was. 

All this bollocks about him having a good run before imploding is irrelevant. Rhinos record somehow was brilliant after Xmas last year which doesn't mean hes a brilliant manager!!

Mellon got us into a great position to extend the season TICK.... but couldnt get us over the line FAIL.

Also the inept performances in the FA Trophy, something we could have won, cannot be ignored.

A trip to Wembley is a nice distraction and a good revenue stream. It's not done Solihul ot Gateshead any harm has it, as they are both comfortable in the top 7 and their supporters have at least one big day out at Wembley to look forward to. 

Mellon will get the summer and beyond to turn things around...unless we lose our last 3 games which would really put the pressure on the board. 

He needs to make the right decisions on signings and how we play though otherwise he will be gone by Xmas and we start again🤯

18 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

How would you know we've only been in it 2 years?

Are you expecting Phil Parkinson or Dave Challinor?

You sound like an average bloke who's demanding the perfect blonde with big tits who will do all the housework and pay half the bills and will blow you off everyday to just drop in your lap.

Hey you keep my missus’ name outta yer mouth…

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Gardner is trying to put his usual decent half a dozen games in to bluff another contract.

If only some others had put in half the effort we'd be in the play offs now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I’ve got huge respect for Gardner after these last few games. He’s always been the best midfielder at the club, but he’s single handily tried to drag us through these last few games since Chesterfield. 

Shame he’s the only source of creativity at the club. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

I just took a look at our home form since Mellon came in and it's a sackable in itself, I know he will get the summer and the start of next season and rightly so but we've currently won just three games from sixteen he's managed at 18.75%, take in to account two of those we failed to win were against level 8 opposition who played us off the park and it makes even grimmer reading.

P16  W3  D7  L6  F21  A25

We haven't scored more than two in any of his home league games and kept just two clean sheet which is a pitiful return really.

He is going to be under huge pressure to get results early next season, he didn't win one of his first five at home and we currently haven't won for six and yet still we aren't completely dead and buried which is just bonkers really, problem is I don't think he will change he will just bat on in the only way he knows hoping his next half a dozen signings make the difference.

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’ve got huge respect for Gardner after these last few games. He’s always been the best midfielder at the club, but he’s single handily tried to drag us through these last few games since Chesterfield. 

Shame he’s the only source of creativity at the club. 

Like I say he does it this time in the season every year, he's our best footballer at the minute but he would be one of the first I'd be getting rid of.

• Like 1