Micky Mellon Sack Watch

38 minutes ago, Lags said:

Really?

I'd say fair play to him. He's selected the players and shown faith in them. Cross the white line and keep your shirt. Are the players doing that?

That kind of standoffish, up to you attitude doesn't sit well with the modern player IMO, they want reassurance and stimulation.

Are we really to believe that players are going out, doing what they want and the coaching staff are powerless to do anything about it?

Rather than Mellon, I think we need to look at whoever overseas recruitment. If that is DR then so be it, but whoever is doing it is continually failing.

Norwood, Garner, Conlon you would expect to add quality to the team as they are known players. But other signings have been below poor. 

I wasn’t worried, I am now worried about recruitment. 

This is before we get into the balance of the squad aspect of recruitment. 

Edited by LightDN123
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Oafc11 said:

Sums up the team spirit when sachdev  is getting a lift home in a car parked at aldershot station after the game, the lad got man of the match midweek and still gets left out!! Mellon chopping and changing every week is desperation and it’s showing with performances.

To be fair, that was one of the stranger MOTM awards I've seen. 

Although I did miss the first 20 and so maybe he was absolutely immense for that period 😅

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Rather than Mellon, I think we need to look at whoever overseas recruitment. If that is DR then so be it, but whoever is doing it is continually failing.

Norwood, Garner, Conlon you would expect to add quality to the team as they are known players. But other signings have been below poor. 

I wasn’t worried, I am now worried about recruitment. 

This is before we get into the balance of the squad aspect of recruitment. 

Correct, there is no plan.

Mellon has fallen in to the Rhinoball style which was if we lose a game sign another striker.

Nobody can tell me that players want to play in such a direct way so it must be coming from the coaching team, Mellon alludes to the squad being limited in his post match interviews week after week and informing them that he is setting them up to play to their strengths, really?

I've heard somewhere might of been from Hogan that that's what Mellon wants so get used to it but that's not going to wash at BP, Shez was accused of being a dinosaur but Mellon is making him look like prime Alonso.

I personally think Darren Royle could of done better throughout all this, we will be recovering from the vanity project that was David Unsworth for months to come, add to that the distinct lack of strategy in any business decisions and it's not a good look for him, oh and he's the driving force behind the hike in season ticket prices, good luck with that one when you put out a team at BP that shows relegation form.

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Correct, there is no plan.

Mellon has fallen in to the Rhinoball style which was if we lose a game sign another striker.

Nobody can tell me that players want to play in such a direct way so it must be coming from the coaching team, Mellon alludes to the squad being limited in his post match interviews week after week and informing them that he is setting them up to play to their strengths, really?

I've heard somewhere might of been from Hogan that that's what Mellon wants so get used to it but that's not going to wash at BP, Shez was accused of being a dinosaur but Mellon is making him look like prime Alonso.

I personally think Darren Royle could of done better throughout all this, we will be recovering from the vanity project that was David Unsworth for months to come, add to that the distinct lack of strategy in any business decisions and it's not a good look for him, oh and he's the driving force behind the hike in season ticket prices, good luck with that one when you put out a team at BP that shows relegation form.

It is a worry and if this persists I do believe a director of football should be considered. 

The recruitment just seems so random. I like Joe Garner and hes proved to be a good signing, but did we actually need him and Dallas ? I’m not sure we did.

We would have benefitted from signing a proper right wing back, or a proper winger. Sachdev was just a last minute gamble.

We have overloaded on centre backs and strikers which is dictating the formation we play. We have no plan B as apart from Green, we have no players who offer genuine width.

Middle of the park, Conlon can look after the ball, but those around him just don’t want it.

I just don’t understand how the balance of the squad can be this off. I genuinely believe Tollitt and Hope would at least allow us to change the formation in the game if hoofball isn’t working. 

I still don’t believe that Lundy is not as bad as he’s showing, but he looks absolutely petrified when he gets the ball. 

I think we need to change system, but I just cannot see what we can change the system to. 

Edited by LightDN123
  • Like 1

I do agree that we’ve not signed in a couple of key areas but for me the blame lies with the summer recruitment team which I believe was Unsworth and Thompson. Yes these areas could have been addressed since Mellon came in however it is possible that the right players haven’t been available for the right money. So we signed a young loan and a young permanent to right back and midfield. 

No manager will ever get 100% of signings right so before writing off recruitment under Mellon I’m happy for him to have a summer moving players on and bringing in better quality into the first team. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

It is a worry and if this persists I do believe a director of football should be considered. 

The recruitment just seems so random. I like Joe Garner and hes proved to be a good signing, but did we actually need him and Dallas ? I’m not sure we did.

We would have benefitted from signing a proper right wing back, or a proper winger. Sachdev was just a last minute gamble.

We have overloaded on centre backs and strikers which is dictating the formation we play. We have no plan B as apart from Green, we have no players who offer genuine width.

Middle of the park, Conlon can look after the ball, but those around him just don’t want it.

I just don’t understand how the balance of the squad can be this off. I genuinely believe Tollitt and Hope would at least allow us to change the formation in the game if hoofball isn’t working. 

I still don’t believe that Lundy is not as bad as he’s showing, but he looks absolutely petrified when he gets the ball. 

I think we need to change system, but I just cannot see what we can change the system to. 

Forget the system, forget the balance, forget the identity. We have a team of poor quality players, with no characters who are, to a man, out of their depth. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Forget the system, forget the balance, forget the identity. We have a team of poor quality players, with no characters who are, to a man, out of their depth. 

Disagree. The following players have all proved they are capable to fight at the top end of the NL. 

You will notice a clear lack of width, pace and creativity in the below, which is the major issue. 

Hudson

Kitching

Hogan

Hobson

Raglan

Conlon

Lundy

Gardner 

Norwood

Garner

Fondop

Dallas 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Can't disagree with any of this.

Remarkably we could still go up this season but I get a sense Mellon can't wait for it to end.

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Disagree. The following players have all proved they are capable to fight at the top end of the NL. 

You will notice a clear lack of width, pace and creativity in the below, which is the major issue. 

Hudson

Kitching

Hogan

Hobson

Raglan

Conlon

Lundy

Gardner 

Norwood

Garner

Fondop

Dallas 

And unfortunately the one wide player on that list has had his form drop off a cliff in the last few weeks. 

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Hudson

Kitching

Hogan

Hobson

Raglan

Conlon

Lundy

Gardner 

Norwood

Garner

Fondop

Dallas 

The majority are not. Scared shitless and don’t possess the minerals needed.

2 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

The majority are not. Scared shitless and don’t possess the minerals needed.

You might not like the tactics and shape - it contributes am sure. But look at the basic performance of individual players. Terrified to go forward, slow speed of thought, dreadful passing, god awful first touches when anyone is near them. Those things have nothing to do with set up, shape etc

• Like 2

It's down the flanks we are weak, Green improved us as did Kitching when he could be arsed, other than that we've nothing.

Gardner frustrates but at least something can happen when he's in midfield, I think he's the type Conlon would benefit from.

We just play narrow and we've been sussed out now, there's a lack of a plan B and it's exposed the poor players we have, you can't carry two or three in this division nevermind the eight or nine we carried yesterday.

I think people seriously underestimate our midfield issue, I’ll bang the drum again. 

We and our centre backs have no choice but to hit the ball long, they simply cannot trust any of the midfield other than Conlon to even attempt to look after the ball. 

The amount of times Sheron hits it long is an embarrassment. 

But the impact of this is, if the strikers don’t win it, or the midfield doesn’t win the second ball, we are cut open and the opposition run directly at us. That is a big reason why we have to play the system we do. We have to have as many players behind the ball, because you cannot on a consistent basis, lump it up and expect for it to stick with the strikers or the second ball to be won every time. 

McGahey, Sheron, Hammond, Ward and Lundy in his current form cannot keep hold of a football. 

This means the wing backs are pegged back, the holding player sits on the toes of the three centre backs. And we lump it all game. 

It’s a huge issue, one that has not been addressed for whatever reason. It is why  I don’t compliment players on pressing and winning second balls when it’s a result of their inability to hold onto the ball. You are praising a correction of a limitation and the outcome is overall, shit. 

Get a 4 who can break up play and pass, get a 10 who can be trusted, get an 8 who will do the running AT the opposition with the ball, and this team will be different. Scrap the overload of centre backs, get some genuine wingers and fullbacks. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

You're really dragging this board down at the moment. You seem intent on causing a row with everyone. Chill out...

If people are going to make stupid comments.. 

3 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Can't help himself, seems to get a kick out of it

The type to start an argument in an empty room.

Boring

• Like 1

I witnessed yesterday's shit show first hand and it was as bad as it gets. Bar the scramble at the end of the 1H where we may have hit the post, I don't recall a shot.... it was pathetic. 

What I struggle with is why every fucking team we play seems to have more width, energy and pace than us.

Yesterday for example their 26 who scored from a completely free header....offside or not, was roasting us all the first half down our right hand side.

With our budget and what we are paying the likes of Dallas and the rest who are not in Mellons thoughts, surely we could sign more players like this for not much money. Let's be honest our budget is probably 2/3 x bigger than most, so I'm baffled why we have not addressed the pace and width issue all season?? We played Hobson and Hogan as full backs for fucks sake.

Mellon needs to sort this shit out and play a system with some width, and do it quickly, as by this time next week we could be in 9th, 3 points outside the playoffs having played a game more than the teams around us...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Kitch has been asked to carry us all season, I’ll let him off. 

Absolutely not. He's been just as guilty as anyone else since Christmas for poor inept performances. If we had another half decent left back he'd have been dropped weeks ago.

1 minute ago, Londonboy said:

Absolutely not. He's been just as guilty as anyone else since Christmas for poor inept performances. If we had another half decent left back he'd have been dropped weeks ago.

He gets doubled up every game and hardly anyone to pass to. 

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He gets doubled up every game and hardly anyone to pass to. 

It's his job to find people to pass too! I can't remember the last time he put in a meaningful cross, and he has had plenty of opportunities.

Plus his defending has been pants. 

He's been shit for weeks end of.

Just now, Londonboy said:

It's his job to find people to pass too! I can't remember the last time he put in a meaningful cross, and he has had plenty of opportunities.

Plus his defending has been pants. 

He's been shit for weeks end of.

😂 static caravans move more than our players. He has no one directly in front of him, usually has to play a 1-2 with bloody Liam Hogan ffs.