Micky Mellon Sack Watch

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I like him, he tries to get on the ball. He had family members behind me at Ebbsfleet saying he's joined the wrong club and should have chose the other club as we don't play to his strengths - no idea who the other club was...

I’d look to move him on in the summer if he doesn’t want to be here. 

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm not exaggerating here when I say that at least three or four of Mellon's teams performances have been as bad as I've witnessed as an Oldham fan, I'd even go as far to say I've been embarrassed by some of them so the suggestion that everyone just piles on at every opportunity is a bit wide of the mark and I'm not even taking Saturdays shitshow in to account in that because I think the occasion just got the better of everyone. 

Have I lost faith - no not yet but some of his decisions bewilder me, Unsworth was absolutely crucified for not having a plan but it seems if you have a decent CV those obvious failings can't be questioned which for me is bizarre, when you watch us at home I'd best describe us as rudderless and clueless, now I know that doesn't really worry you as you prefer to look at the bigger picture but for me it's concerning. Any talk of replacing him is just bollocks but something needs to change in the summer when he has opportunity because something is patently wrong with this group of players.

I just call what I see - rather than stick my colours to any mast. 

If/when we’re shit- I’ll be first to say it’s shit. 

At home - this is how it is. The results are patchy/not great. The football is largely awful to watch. 

Away- we are willing to go to war. The results are very good. The football still isn’t great but it’s miles better than the dross at home. 

So in the cold light of day- Mellonball is an upgrade on Rhinoball because it produces more results. But the fact with both is, that if you don’t win you’re left with nothing. The other fact is, Mellon is quite good at winning. It’s his record as a winner that I’m backing not his football. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I just call what I see - rather than stick my colours to any mast. 

If/when we’re shit- I’ll be first to say it’s shit. 

At home - this is how it is. The results are patchy/not great. The football is largely awful to watch. 

Away- we are willing to go to war. The results are very good. The football still isn’t great but it’s miles better than the dross at home. 

So in the cold light of day- Mellonball is an upgrade on Rhinoball because it produces more results. But the fact with both is, that if you don’t win you’re left with nothing. The other fact is, Mellon is quite good at winning. It’s his record as a winner that I’m backing not his football. 

Which is a perfectly reasonable stance, ultimately we want the same thing we just probably react to our inconsistent results in different ways.

• Like 1

Thinking about the main squad changes that Mellon has made since arriving in place of Unsworth;

Garner instead of Nuttall

Dallas instead of Reid

Walker instead of Willoughby

Sachdev instead of Freeman

Conlan instead of Shelton

Hammond instead of Dickenson 

Binned off Tollitt, who wasn’t really catching the squad under Unsworth either.

All seemed like reasonable upgrades at the time, but i wonder how many of these changes fans would swap back for the run in given the chance…?

Edited by Sloshed Joe

4 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Thinking about the main squad changes that Mellon has made since arriving in place of Unsworth;

Garner instead of Nuttall

Dallas instead of Reid

Walker instead of Willoughby

Sachdev instead of Freeman

Conlan instead of Shelton

Hammond instead of Dickenson 

Binned off Tollitt, who wasn’t really catching the squad under Unsworth either.

All seemed like reasonable upgrades at the time, but i wonder how many of these changes fans would swap back for the run in given the chance…?

He’s only made three sub appearances, but Dallas has looked absolutely useless in every minute he’s been on the pitch for us. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He’s only made three sub appearances, but Dallas has looked absolutely useless in every minute he’s been on the pitch for us. 

We were desperate for new recruits to come straight in but you have to ask the question as to why these players were signed when it’s blatantly obvious some of them were miles off fitness wise.

15 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

We were desperate for new recruits to come straight in but you have to ask the question as to why these players were signed when it’s blatantly obvious some of them were miles off fitness wise.

I think it was the Ebsfleet game. Dallas came on, he looked like he was running in slow motion. Was confused as thought he was an option at LW. Not on that showing he wasn’t. 

He scored goals at this level, so assume it’s just a fitness issue. But I have no doubt Barnsley will be loaning him back to a National League club in the summer. 

43 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

True  they can't have been scouted on current form which is an essential in my eyes.

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

no we don't.

they haven't signed ten match contracts have they?

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

no we don't.

they haven't signed ten match contracts have they?

Well we’ve hardly seen Walker or Dallas and we’ve only 12 games left to play……we needed fit players ready to hit the ground running…we didn’t have time to bed them in!

• Like 1

If you want to get out of this division, theres 2 ways.

1) Spend your way out

2) Build your way out

We've gone with a spend your way out approach and to get the quality required in Jan we had to get players at a cut rate. All of the players we signed were not 100% match fit, its clear to see, but they are signings of undoubtable quality and will pay dividends.

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Well we’ve hardly seen Walker or Dallas and we’ve only 12 games left to play……we needed fit players ready to hit the ground running…we didn’t have time to bed them in!

I dont know about that. Looking at the bigger picture, we were in playoff form and need additions to boost us. So really we could get players who weren't up to speed straight away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Don't think we've lost back to back league games under him have we? There's usually a good performance/win follows a bad one 

I think I heard it on comms recently that we haven’t lost 2 league games in a row since December 2022.

2 hours ago, GKing521 said:

So, erm. New thread called 'Micky Mellon Contract Extension Watch'?

If we fail to go up this season and are pottering around mid-table playing poor football going into January 2025 then this thread will have some merit.

Until then I can't think of anyone who would be a realistic upgrade on Mellon at this level.

Our record is W11 D4 L5 in the 20 league games with him at the helm.  Who was our last Latics manager with a better record of results over their first 20 matches?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

yeah and we are 6pts off 2nd so