Micky Mellon Sack Watch

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I know. I don’t want to miss out though, so I’m thinking of a new thread as we speak, my current front runner is-

Promotion . . .  Do we really need it?  

Yes! Essential. In tribute to the Great Red Fleece himself 🤣

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 7:20 PM, Astro said:

It is going to take time, people need to stop comparing fifth division football and what is possible to elite level football, and a sense of perspective needs to be added. Is it frustrating watching us at times? Absolutely. But I'm clear in my mind as to what I expect from Mellon. It's one of those pragmatic relationships. I backed a three-year deal, he gets stability and we get a fella in charge who has a solid record, including promotions, at this level. The added extras in terms of style and approach can come when we're back in the FL and that will probably come after Mellon. 

It's going to feel so refreshing when we bring in a manager who inherits a stable squad rather one that needs rebuilding from the ground up.

Mellon IN. Close this thread until at least the end of next season.

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I honestly haven't seen anyone on here whose suggested Mellon should be replaced so can we please stop with all this Mellon Outers shite.

I also think most can recognise that we are punching above away from home and under performing at home, on that basis why can't we debate our poor form on our own patch and Mellon's inability to react to it, it's a problem particularly if we want to attract new fans and it could well prove an achilles heel to our season if we finish 4th or 5th. Being disappointed and voicing displeasure doesn't necessarily mean we want Mellon out, I'm as disappointed as the next man, I have no interest in chopping and changing managers again but i think it's critical that Mellon and Brabin need to find a way to make us a better watch at home.

May I direct you to the title and first post of this thread... 

6 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

May I direct you to the title and first post of this thread... 

As per the first post, I suggested it was a question that may need raising.

I will admit, however, that it was done in the heat of the moment after a quite frankly disgusting performance. 

IF we fail to make the play offs then he should be removed from his post. I'm not expecting us to progress far in them, though (if we make them).

2 hours ago, GKing521 said:

IF we fail to make the play offs then he should be removed from his post. I'm not expecting us to progress far in them, though (if we make them).

It may have been prudent to insert a clause which allowed us to get rid if he didn't reach certain targets, one of which was this season's play-offs.

That said, not giving any manager at least one summer window to improve our squad is unrealistic IMO. Yes, we've seen some improvements to what was put on by DU last season. Consistancy for one, away form for another. For me, midfield in particular is still an area that needs urgent attention. Hammond looks promising and should get better. Lundstram gets progressively worse every match he plays, Conlon has had one good match for us in six and Sheron is a bench player at best. Mellon HAS to have at least the summer to bring in acual quality to this club.

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I wish people would stop judging Conlon when he's playing in a midfield that contains both Sheron and Lundstrum, neither of whom are very good footballers.

Absolutely….for one player to come in and make a substantial difference there would have to be a fairly competent midfield to start with playing a formation they are comfortable with………we haven’t got either.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He does look knackered, but he can’t be dropped, if fit. 

Yes he looked as if he was struggling just to even run with any pace, at times. Surely must be carrying a knock because his mobility on Saturday seemed so restricted? 

Just now, spanishfly said:

Yes he looked as if he was struggling just to even run with any pace, at times. Surely must be carrying a knock because his mobility on Saturday seemed so restricted? 

Hes been out for 12 months. He just isn’t fit. He can’t be dropped though. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, spanishfly said:

Think he only played a couple of games last season, he's nowhere near match sharpness. Unfortunately it's just a bad stage of the season to have someone not fully fit, hopefully he'll be up to speed in a few games. We definitely can't afford to drop him

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

people hate on Conlon?

Jayzus what a set of fuckwits.

Launching the ball forward at every opportunity simply does not allow him to play much - he was poor (as were most) on Saturday and does look distinctly lacking in match fitness.

Haters gonna hate.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I wish people would stop judging Conlon when he's playing in a midfield that contains both Sheron and Lundstrum, neither of whom are very good footballers.

I wish people would stop judging Sheron who is our highest scoring midfielder and third overall top scorer, and who actually contributes far more than biscuit Dan or Josh the ghost. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I wish people would stop judging Sheron who is our highest scoring midfielder and third overall top scorer, and who actually contributes far more than biscuit Dan or Josh the ghost. 

He‘s got the same amount of league goals as Dickenson (according to the BBC)… not exactly a high bar. Not to get on the Sheron hate train again, but anyone watching our midfield constantly struggle can see he is part of the problem. It‘s so obvious at this point and a rather strange hill to die on.

Even so, he‘ll be part of the starting eleven til the end of the season, and so we‘ll need to rely on hoofball getting is the results we need.

28 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Launching the ball forward at every opportunity simply does not allow him to play much - he was poor (as were most) on Saturday and does look distinctly lacking in match fitness.

Haters gonna hate.

I like him, he tries to get on the ball. He had family members behind me at Ebbsfleet saying he's joined the wrong club and should have chose the other club as we don't play to his strengths - no idea who the other club was...

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He's the best of the three you mention but he's an awful footballer, everything he does is totally undermined by his inability to make a simple pass, we will never control games of football with players like Sheron and Lundstrum. Problem is Mellon loves a player who runs about a lot.

57 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He does look knackered, but he can’t be dropped, if fit. 

I'd prefer the ball to do the work rather than the players, knackered players is a direct result of players chasing aimless hoofs or misplaced passes, we play dumb football most of the time, every punt upfield is a chance to give the opposition the ball back. Look at decent footballing teams it's all about ball retention, we can't string more than a couple of passes together.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'd prefer the ball to do the work rather than the players, knackered players is a direct result of players chasing aimless hoofs or misplaced passes, we play dumb football most of the time, every punt upfield is a chance to give the opposition the ball back. Look at decent footballing teams it's all about ball retention, we can't string more than a couple of passes together.

He’s got no chance of playing passes with Sheron next to him. The bloke gets the ball and no wide players are offering and the other midfielders are hiding. Only option is a pass back to the centre back or a lump to Fondop / Garners head. 

As Paddy mentioned above, bet he’s baffled. His family clearly are. 

28 minutes ago, League one forever said:

5 promotions suggests running is fairly important. 

Yes he will dine out on that and rightly so but I'll judge him on what I see here, so far what the majority of our fans have seen has been shite. He gets some slack and rightly so but there will be a whole host of factors why a team gets promotion, running would be an obvious one but I'd suggest his previous teams had a little bit more.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yes he will dine out on that and rightly so but I'll judge him on what I see here, so far what the majority of our fans have seen has been shite. He gets some slack and rightly so but there will be a whole host of factors why a team gets promotion, running would be an obvious one but I'd suggest his previous teams had a little bit more.

Of course. 

But after only 20 odd games, there is a lot amnesia about his record or his ability as a footballer manager. I notice you said ‘can all the mellonout shite stop.’ Well, a lot- including yourself are questioning his every move at the minute. You are coming across as having lost any faith in him- without  explicitly saying it. When we had that recent 5 win on bounce run. You told me to stop the EIEIEIO shite. 😂

So when he loses - it’s a pile on. 

When he wins- a lot just go quiet or in your case tell me to stop enjoying winning. 

All very Ronnie Moore. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Of course. 

But after only 20 odd games, there is a lot amnesia about his record or his ability as a footballer manager. I notice you said ‘can all the mellonout shite stop.’ Well, a lot- including yourself are questioning his every move at the minute. You are coming across as having lost any faith in him- without  explicitly saying it. When we had that recent 5 win on bounce run. You told me to stop the EIEIEIO shite. 😂

So when he loses - it’s a pile on. 

When he wins- a lot just go quiet or in your case tell me to stop enjoying winning. 

All very Ronnie Moore. 

I'm not exaggerating here when I say that at least three or four of Mellon's teams performances have been as bad as I've witnessed as an Oldham fan, I'd even go as far to say I've been embarrassed by some of them so the suggestion that everyone just piles on at every opportunity is a bit wide of the mark and I'm not even taking Saturdays shitshow in to account in that because I think the occasion just got the better of everyone. 

Have I lost faith - no not yet but some of his decisions bewilder me, Unsworth was absolutely crucified for not having a plan but it seems if you have a decent CV those obvious failings can't be questioned which for me is bizarre, when you watch us at home I'd best describe us as rudderless and clueless, now I know that doesn't really worry you as you prefer to look at the bigger picture but for me it's concerning. Any talk of replacing him is just bollocks but something needs to change in the summer when he has opportunity because something is patently wrong with this group of players.