MATCH: Chesterfield (H) 16/03/24

5 minutes ago, Norewgian Gunnar said:

That was a great team performance on Saturday. When team was announced I felt Dallas and Norwood up front was not the right selection. But I was glad to be proved wrong. The way we kept the ball on the floor more with a  good passing made a huge difference to the dominance we showed for most of the game and feel we could have nicked the 3 points.

Lundstram was a different player on Saturday and had a really good game. Hopefully we can play like this for the rest of the season. It is going to be a very tight finish for the last few play-off of places. Every match is now a huge test for us. Lets hope Chesterfield beat Halifax on Wednesday night. 

Regarding the Norwood debate I certainly hope he stays with the club for next season. If we play more of the style of football we played on Saturday he should be netting a few more goals in the coming games. Yes he is an unusual character but he is always looking for the ball and gets frustrated when he is in a position to receive the ball but it is not played to him. He is also good in the air and seems to be able to predict where the ball will end up even when it is hoofed up the field. In my view he is a class player who we need to keep.  

Totally agree.

You actually saw players, especially McGahey and Lundstram , looking as though they were going to hoof it and then just took a second thought and passed it to feet, and pass it forward!! It worked so they have to do this again.

I am not keen on Norwood as a person, and I sometimes don't like his attitude when playing, but I would have him in my team. I don't have to like him and I know if he ever played against us in future he would rile us but for now as long as he does his job (on-field) I am fine with him as a Latics player.

It's because people want to love their sporting heroes, just like a Peter Clarke.

It isn't going to happen with Norwood. He is looking at this as a job, simple as that.

A lot of players mask this , and as you say, smile for the selfies etc. Norwood though is especially grumpy and doesn't mind showing it, so it shocks people to see a player so obviously not bothered about the off-field nicey nicey stuff.

We just got to accept that is who he is. We all know miserable people who we tolerate but aren't quite best mates with . Norwood is one of them.

10 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

It's because people want to love their sporting heroes, just like a Peter Clarke.

It isn't going to happen with Norwood. He is looking at this as a job, simple as that.

A lot of players mask this , and as you say, smile for the selfies etc. Norwood though is especially grumpy and doesn't mind showing it, so it shocks people to see a player so obviously not bothered about the off-field nicey nicey stuff.

We just got to accept that is who he is. We all know miserable people who we tolerate but aren't quite best mates with . Norwood is one of them.

bollocks.

the miserable people are the ones determined to be constantly making an issue about a bloke not smiling at them.

as Alan would say 'thats saaaaadd.'

6 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I’ve seen in him countless videos where he is smiling doing his community bit/off field stuff. I’ve seen countless pictures on Twitter of him having his picture taken with kids/young Latics fans before the game.  Unless you know the man not the player on a Saturday afternoon you have no idea if Norwood is a miserable person. You’re just guessing he is miserable because he has on field persona- lots of players do. Roy Keane was horrible on the pitch, and drove standards, but all the United players said he was really funny in the dressing room. 

The stories being fabricated without any knowledge of the situation or the person is unbelievable. 

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’ve seen in him countless videos where he is smiling doing his community bit/off field stuff. I’ve seen countless pictures on Twitter of him having his picture taken with kids/young Latics fans before the game.  Unless you know the man not the player on a Saturday afternoon you have no idea if Norwood is a miserable person. You’re just guessing he is miserable because he has on field persona- lots of players do. Roy Keane was horrible on the pitch, and drove standards, but all the United players said he was really funny in the dressing room. 

The stories being fabricated without any knowledge of the situation or the person is unbelievable. 

It should be unbelievable but unfortunately it’s very believable here, if you’re not new to this place that is. It’s boring. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yep, we met him before the Woking and Ebbsfleet away games and he was really good with the kids and loved the fact that his name was on the back of shirts...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

he is literally the best pro at the club it is totally whack job crazy

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yes you're right I probably shouldn't have used the word miserable and I was trying to point out how people are viewing him, as you say his on field persona which has now developed into his off-field stuff now, rather than my actual concerns.

As I said earlier they want him to be a Peter Clarke, heart on the sleeve guy and I was trying to say he isn't like that. His body language is totally different which some people perceive as not caring and aloof.

I am not bothered what he is like and I can tolerate most people regardless of whether they moan or are jovial. 

You know lads, it is possible to be a decent human and also get something wrong.

The facts are unless he literally legged it off the pitch into his car then there's no reason he couldn't have spent 5 minutes accepting the award, his Twitter response was also out of order, he should apologise for that.

If Mellon or someone else gave him the ok to skip it then they too made a mistake.

35 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

bollocks.

the miserable people are the ones determined to be constantly making an issue about a bloke not smiling at them.

as Alan would say 'thats saaaaadd.'

"Bollocks!!" Thanks for your in-depth analysis of my post :)

I thought my comparison to Peter Clarke was a good way to try and understand it. Not agree with it , but understand , as I do try to see all views. 

Who is Alan?

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Fucking social media [and I obviously use it] must be one of the most misused technical tools we have at our disposal. Norwood is a professional, will pose with the fans and partake in off-field duties. What more can we ask of him..apart from putting the ball in the opponents net? I couldn't give a fuck about his demeanour on the pitch as it may help to put the fear of god up the opposition.

I admit, I reacted negatively to a post regarding Norwood a short while ago but after reading it back, realised I had been taken-in by the very social media shite I hate so much. There we go, we are all susceptible at times.

The point is, before the all-consuming media hatred washed over society, a brief paragraph may have been all we got in the 'Chron. No dissection, no insinuations or calling into question someone's character, just a brief mention and possibly the reason why. Then we all forgot about it, rather than being like a fucking dog with bone.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Yes, but Keane said he'd have them if they didn't...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Excuse me are you Alan Partridge

Yes

You dropped your Radio Norwich I'd card.

Ohh right. I thought Monty meant him.

I never really watched him so I wanted to be sure.

19 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Oh you are missing out son give it a try. 

Aha!

Haha me saying I didn't watch Alan Partridge is the most controversial thing I have ever said.

It takes the heat off Norwood for a bit :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Haha me saying I didn't watch Alan Partridge is the most controversial thing I have ever said.

I've just rewatched the travel tavern series with my Norn Irish partner who had been blissfully unaware of his ouevre.  A week on and she;s still crying with laughter at 'Sunday Bloody Sunday'

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

I never really watched him so I wanted to be sure.

I almost wish I had never discovered it, so I could discover it all again. You're in a privileged position.

You're about to discover probably the last timeless, genius of a character...

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

Oh I think it's nicely taken the edge of this thread you've done us all a favour I was tempted to join in with the telling certain posters to go stand near a cliff earlier in the thread but wiser thoughts prevailed this time.

But definitely try I'm Alan Partridge seasons 1 and 2 it's classic British Comedy from what can now be seen as a golden era of sitcoms. You are also definitely of the right age to get it too.

Edited by GlossopLatic