MATCH: Chesterfield (H) 16/03/24

23 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Seen them and thought the only explanation was their legs tangled. It was certainly soft.

It looked soft as anything. And you’re right about Norwood in injury time too. He’s miles on. I think I heard it said the flag was already up so I’m glad Hogan got in the way as that would have been infuriating to see a goal ruled out in those circumstances. 

12 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Anyway back to the issue, I don't like it, it's poor form from our best payed player and that's my view, I don't take sides and behave like I'm in the playground I'm my own man, so what you or anyone else has to say won't sway my opinion. Like I've said he isn't bigger than the club despite what he thinks of himself.

Strange view to take woth no knowledge of his circumstances 

5 hours ago, JoeP said:

I almost wish I had never discovered it, so I could discover it all again. You're in a privileged position.

You're about to discover probably the last timeless, genius of a character...

Him, Brian Potter, Jim Royle and David Brent some of the best characters in recent times

11 hours ago, nzlatic said:

It looked soft as anything. And you’re right about Norwood in injury time too. He’s miles on. I think I heard it said the flag was already up so I’m glad Hogan got in the way as that would have been infuriating to see a goal ruled out in those circumstances. 

The linesman was raising his flag and then stopped mid height when Hogan touched the ball - it would have been another shocker if the move had led to a disallowed goal 😮 

8 hours ago, JohnnyPimp said:

Soz for continuing the Alan Partridge off-topic, but I do like this local reference.

Yes, as he's from my neck of the woods I should be a big fan but Alan Partridge never did it for me I'm afraid. However when he does the serious stuff he is a superb actor - Stan and Ollie, and The Reckoning, to name but two. He was amazingly good as Stan Laurel, and to take on the role that he did in The Reckoning was courageous to say the least. 

4 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Yes, as he's from my neck of the woods I should be a big fan but Alan Partridge never did it for me I'm afraid. However when he does the serious stuff he is a superb actor - Stan and Ollie, and The Reckoning, to name but two. He was amazingly good as Stan Laurel, and to take on the role that he did in The Reckoning was courageous to say the least. 

Can't imagine why anyone would be a fan just because they came from the same area.  That would be like saying two Latics fans could never fall out...

11 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Can't imagine why anyone would be a fan just because they came from the same area.  That would be like saying two Latics fans could never fall out...

Pride in a local boy made good etc. He's had a stellar career and good luck to him.

Really Dave? You can't understand supporting something local, whether it is your football club, a boxer, cricket team, pub!!!

40 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Really Dave? You can't understand supporting something local, whether it is your football club, a boxer, cricket team, pub!!!

I can't see why being local would make me like the work of a particular artist.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't wish them well.  I'd think it would be weirdly parochial if my tastes in music/film/comedy/art/drama/literature etc. were governed in any way by geographical affiliation.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Not really! Opinions on Latics are generally way stronger and more heartfelt than being a fan of Steve Coogan or another artist I'd say. It can be depressing when as fans we verbally beat each other up on here, but I guess it would be a boring world if everybody felt the same way.

Come to think of it though, I never did rate Tommy Booth.......

19 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I can't see why being local would make me like the work of a particular artist.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't wish them well.  I'd think it would be weirdly parochial if my tastes in music/film/comedy/art/drama/literature etc. were governed in any way by geographical affiliation.

I thought you might have picked up on me saying the pub, my attempt at humour,  but probably too early (or not funny) :)

I have gone out and watched a local band before actually hearing them just because they were local and then through that grown to like them.

Although I do think locality can help when it comes to humour as I find Peter Kay, Jason Manford etc. way funnier than any cockney comic. Stuff they say resonates with locality eg big light , gravy on your chips....

13 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I thought you might have picked up on me saying the pub, my attempt at humour,  but probably too early (or not funny) :)

I have gone out and watched a local band before actually hearing them just because they were local and then through that grown to like them.

Although I do think locality can help when it comes to humour as I find Peter Kay, Jason Manford etc. way funnier than any cockney comic. Stuff they say resonates with locality eg big light , gravy on your chips....

Well I definitely support my local pub! :)  I'm sort of intrigued as to how Steve Coogan came to decide that Partridge comes from Norwich. That polarises opinion round here (I'm not far from Norwich) with some people loving the locality being highlighted and others thinking he's just taking the piss out of what is often termed 'Normal for Norfolk'.

17 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Exception to this rule for me is Micky Flanagan - until his latest gig.

Well I definitely support my local pub! :)  I'm sort of intrigued as to how Steve Coogan came to decide that Partridge comes from Norwich. That polarises opinion round here (I'm not far from Norwich) with some people loving the locality being highlighted and others thinking he's just taking the piss out of what is often termed 'Normal for Norfolk'.

I think he wanted somewhere outside of London but was seen as parochial and had enough "Daily" readers.

It could be worse I live in Hadfield which for those of you who don't know is famous as the home of Roysten Vassey the opening credits you can almost make out my house its fimed at the end of my street. In fact when they did the reboot a few years ago I got a letter through the door asking if we could potentially use it in the making of the league of gentlemen.

Edited by GlossopLatic

30 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I vaguely remember Coogan saying in an interview he wanted it to be somewhere fairly inoffensive. 

Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, etc are "cool" sort of places with a fairly territorial population, so it wouldn't work. I think he toyed with Devon, but Norwich is generally though of as a bit bland...

Edited by JoeP

14 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Worked out well for the Linton Travel Tavern

38 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/things-to-do/20816040.revealed-norwich-beat-milton-keynes-become-home-alan-partridge/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

Yes I remember reading that Armando Ianucci and/or the writers wanted a city that was some way from London and felt isolated.

My brother lives in Norwich - it's a fine city but definitely a slog for me to get to, even after they improved the A14 a few years ago.

7 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Yes I remember reading that Armando Ianucci and/or the writers wanted a city that was some way from London and felt isolated.

My brother lives in Norwich - it's a fine city but definitely a slog for me to get to, even after they improved the A14 a few years ago.

Thewy haven't finished it yet - there's a five mile stretch near me that has been single lane contraflow for months!

29 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

21 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Thewy haven't finished it yet - there's a five mile stretch near me that has been single lane contraflow for months!

I mean if ever the writers of Partridge are looking for new material...

• Like 1