MATCH: Rochdale (H) 06/04/24

3 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Gardner and Lundstram brilliant today. 

Probably one of Gardners best ever performances, ended by yet another injury… and def Lundstram’s best.  

Decent for large parts, but wasteful.

Odd subs. 

Gardner is playing for a new contract 100%

Cannot afford to give him one as 60 minute players in this League with only four outfield subs kill you. If we fell for it and handed him another 12 month I bet we wouldn't get 20 games out of him, agree about Lundstrum - his first thought now is positive and it makes all the difference, hopefully he can carry that through to next season.

Lundstram probably benefitted by playing higher up the pitch. I think the same would be the case with Conlon rather than having him on the toes of the defence.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Gardner is playing for a new contract 100%

Cannot afford to give him one as 60 minute players in this League with only four outfield subs kill you. If we fell for it and handed him another 12 month I bet we wouldn't get 20 games out of him, agree about Lundstrum - his first thought now is positive and it makes all the difference, hopefully he can carry that through to next season.

Deffo. I wouldn’t give Gardner a new contract. Too old, too weak.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Cannot afford to give him one as 60 minute players in this League with only four outfield subs kill you. If we fell for it and handed him another 12 month I bet we wouldn't get 20 games out of him,

Agreed, I don’t want any of out of contact getting a new one. 

They probably will. 

18 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

I’d get rid of mellon. To make zero progress over more than 30 games is criminal. 

He needs the summer to put his own stamp on the team...

Like many others were for ages with Unsworth, I think we should stick with him, but wouldn't be arsed if he left...

11 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Lunds one of our better players today, if you'd have set your alarm better you'd have seen !!  😀

Great. I think it better to judge him over the season than

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Like many others were for ages with Unsworth, I think we should stick with him, but wouldn't be arsed if he left...

I’m happy with Mellon, but if the board have any doubts, then get rid. 

We can’t be fucking around giving managers the summer and then 10 games at the start of next season. 

Personally, I would be looking at DR’s position / recruitment before Mellon. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

I’m happy with Mellon, but if the board have any doubts, then get rid. 

We can’t be fucking around giving managers the summer and then 10 games at the start of next season. 

Personally, I would be looking at DR’s position / recruitment before Mellon. 

Agree

27 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Gardner and Lundstram brilliant today. 

Probably one of Gardners best ever performances, ended by yet another injury… and def Lundstram’s best.  

Decent for large parts, but wasteful.

Odd subs. 

Wow u praised Gardner 🤣

3 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

But there is no chance royle will be under any pressure whatsoever. 

I fear for the future with him at the helm 

He should be, he's seems pretty astute at wasting others money and with that I'd expect some pressure or at least some assurances it can be put right.

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He should be, he's seems pretty astute at wasting others money and with that I'd expect some pressure or at least some assurances it can be put right.

Can someone summarise what happened with Royle at Wigan? Did he come out of that whole thing well? 

22 minutes ago, JoeP said:

With Unsworth I understood why the board stuck with him over the summer given the results in the 2nd half of the season and I liked the idea of giving people time in a new job. But I wouldn't have lost sleep if they did decide to get rid of him pretty much any time from Aldershot away.

With Mellon I feel much more confident that giving him time is the right thing to do. He's done it before. I'm pretty sure I remember a Tranmere fan saying his second spell didn't go well because of something to do with the chairman not backing him or something along those lines. We know that Mellon will get full support here so hopefully he makes good use of that. If we sacked him off the back of this run then I would be a bit concerned about the direction we were taking in terms of giving managers time. Just about every other team in the play offs has had a bad run this season. Unfortunately we've had 2 - at the start and at the end.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

But there is no chance royle will be under any pressure whatsoever. 

I fear for the future with him at the helm 

Could you summarise your understanding of his role?

Takes mellons historic track record away from it and he would be getting the same treatment as unsworth from fans. I think we look as bad as we did under unsworth. I see zero difference 

Just now, nzlatic said:

With Unsworth I understood why the board stuck with him over the summer given the results in the 2nd half of the season and I liked the idea of giving people time in a new job. But I wouldn't have lost sleep if they did decide to get rid of him pretty much any time from Aldershot away.

With Mellon I feel much more confident that giving him time is the right thing to do. He's done it before. I'm pretty sure I remember a Tranmere fan saying his second spell didn't go well because of something to do with the chairman not backing him or something along those lines. We know that Mellon will get full support here so hopefully he makes good use of that. If we sacked him off the back of this run then I would be a bit concerned about the direction we were taking in terms of giving managers time. Just about every other team in the play offs has had a bad run this season. Unfortunately we've had 2 - at the start and at the end.

100% sure we should give him the summer and next season. Signing players in Jan is hard unless you're splashing mega money to buy teams best. In summer people who are still wanted are out of contract. Far easier to bring in who you want. Can't judge him off a January window

• Like 6

Just now, kowenicki said:

Say what I see.  He’s mostly been a passenger this season. He was good today. 

Yeah it occurred to me when he went off that our slim chance of salvaging the season went with him.

It was unusual to see a player signal to come off then carry on, albeit only for a few minutes