MATCH: Wealdstone (H) 20/04/24

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

They played in Brazils colours and we looked in awe if their slick excellent passing.

Their number 2 played like Socrates with his calmness and immaculate distribution. 

Our players can't even pass a ball 5 yards to a colleague. 

Add a lack of desire to that and its a downhill slope.

Saw the ball a lot but didn't think he played many forward passes.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Mellon post match:
“We looked knackered”
“They’ve all got contracts for another year”
and the best one…
“I don’t understand why people don’t understand”
Plus

“There’s more going on…”
“We’re imbalanced”
“ It’s what I inherited”
Etc etc
And when the interviewer asked MM why the season had fallen to pieces, he denied it, saying we had played some top teams and accused Alan of “lazy journalism” 
😱

Behaved like an arrogant prick when he'd had the obvious pointed out. If he thinks that's the way to go with Oldham fans he won't get the ten games I predict next season.

I didn’t even celebrate our goals but found myself really wound up when Gardner had a niggle at one of their lads after being caught and not one player backed him up. They all should have been in. Shithouses the lot of them.

Jack cook their centre back was in the fans bar after the game his Dad supports Oldham. Spoke to him he said we have no patterns of play. We are easy to defend against as you stop second balls we have no attack. Fondop hard to defend against as he’s unpredictable.

Said our midfield was slow and they would easy pass around it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Jack cook their centre back was in the fans bar after the game his Dad supports Oldham. Spoke to him he said we have no patterns of play. We are easy to defend against as you stop second balls we have no attack. Fondop hard to defend against as he’s unpredictable.

He's spot on. Midfield needs at least 2 quality additions. Our weakest area. A winger or two, a right back and left footed central defender and we wouldn't actually be too far away.

11 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Shame he's a right footed centre back although I'd shift the other five out to bring them in. 

We know what he's saying is true but much of it is down to poor coaching, a part time outfit played us off the park today and could of had seven or eight on another day.

14 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Marc White has said the same about us - and no doubt most other managers.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Shame he's a right footed centre back although I'd shift the other five out to bring them in. 

We know what he's saying is true but much of it is down to poor coaching, a part time outfit played us off the park today and could of had seven or eight on another day.

He was outstanding, not seen a centre back pass a ball as good as him at this level. 

It looks like he came into football very late, had he done earlier as a teenager he could have played at a very high level.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

He was outstanding, not seen a centre back pass a ball as good as him at this level. 

It looks like he came into football very late, had he done earlier as a teenager he could have played at a very high level.

He's got a very well paid day job he's not prepared to give up so fair play to him.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He's got a very well paid day job he's not prepared to give up so fair play to him.

Thought so, we need to sign talented part time players then rather than our so called full time professional footballers with none.

39 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

He's spot on. Midfield needs at least 2 quality additions. Our weakest area. A winger or two, a right back and left footed central defender and we wouldn't actually be too far away.

He's a future manager, let's snap him up now while he still plays so well.

Do player managers still exist?

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Saw the ball a lot but didn't think he played many forward passes.

He sprayed plenty to central midfield and to the wide men.

I don't think one went astray. Compare that with our back 4s dire distribution.

Edited by BP1960

25 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He's a future manager, let's snap him up now while he still plays so well.

Do player managers still exist?

Probably not BP but if you wanted a change of manager, an absolute proven leader with the heart of a lion, you'd be as well gambling on someone like Peter Clarke. Chris Lucketti said of him "I know all about him, he's a real man, he's a leader"

Wouldn't be a player/manager at his age I know but what a leader.

4 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Probably not BP but if you wanted a change of manager, an absolute proven leader with the heart of a lion, you'd be as well gambling on someone like Peter Clarke. Chris Lucketti said of him "I know all about him, he's a real man, he's a leader"

https://www.thepfa.com/news/2024/3/1/team-talk-peter-clarke

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Motivation would not be a problem and even with no managerial experience I’m sure he would get more out of this squad!

59 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Apart from the fact that he's said numerous times that he doesn't want to go into management 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TwistingMyMellon said:

We've already got a Manager who takes no nonsense though..

Plenty of nonsense in selecting repeatedly failed players during this poor run.

Peter Clarke who doesn't want to be a manager would definitely come in definitely wave a magic wand and all will be well. If the players started winning they definitely won't revert to type like they have for the last 2 managers infact we'd never lose again.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Plenty of nonsense in selecting repeatedly failed players during this poor run.

I thought you meant no nonsense in the strong discipline sense.

Some strange selections I agree but to be fair to him when the whole squad is crap you are always going to be selecting failed players.

8 hours ago, TwistingMyMellon said:

We've already got a Manager who takes no nonsense though..

Very true, and IMO a big factor in why this season has turned to shit. We have to many players which can’t take criticism.  A manager who continued to support the players publicly (in that I include to the media as well as in the open changing room) while challenging them to improve privately, MAY have done better in keeping them from downing tools as they have done this last couple of months.

Imagine the comments on this forum though, if the manager had continued to spout generic meaningless post match interviews.

So we mostly agree we NEED a new squad, but we can’t have one next year. So do we change the manager and hope the next one can stay friends with them all, or do we back the manager for another whole season and probably starting the next season (with his own players)?  A dilemma!

• Like 3