MM: Terry McPhillips is our head of recruitment, he's full time with us and co-ordinates all the recommendations that come in, all the scouting reports, he puts them together with one of the stats guys we have. We draw on contacts as well. Our scouting system is probably one of the best around. People are fed up of me asking about right backs.

We would stat that up, we have so much technology now to watch players play to get an opinion of him, you would then make your phonecalls and get character references on him in order to make sure he's the one that can come in and do a job for us here.

We have targets we would like to bring the most and we would settle on the one that wants to come here the most as well.

So inconclusion we are scouting players and having them watched and using stats and data and technology to help plus we are profiling their characters too. This does sound like we are trying to do the right thing in recruitment atleast.

50 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Fairly certain I was bashed at some point earlier in the season for having the gall to suggest the players had a weak mentality and couldn't deal with any sort of crowd.

Turns out I was spot on. Again. 

You’re ’fairly certain’?  - we’ll need proof…😉

Posted (edited)

MM: There's something that I wanted to tell you and it's important you take it the right way, it isn't criticism, but it's something that we've been made aware of from opposing managers that especially at home... we come here and create a team we have to give you something to be proud of. I get that. That's our responsibility and we're working towards that.

Opposing managers and coaches in their team talks and in their tactics are saying if you keep Oldham quiet for 15 minutes and give them nothing the fans will turn on them and they will go under. Every club we speak to they say that.

I watch games and I would be disappointed as well if that was my team but opposing teams are using it now for their benefit. We all want success and so do I. I'm standing watching it as well so you're not alone.

I would just ask maybe would you come with the attitude knowing that they're using it against us and it's become common knowledge that Oldham fans are so frustrated that if you keep them quiet for 15 minutes they will turn on them.

It's our responsibility that we turn this team to make sure you don't have to think about that.

We're all united and definitely want the same thing.

So yeah they need to be stronger characters but also teams are targeting our 12th man get the crowd to turn on them so if you are a boo boy or start getting on the teams back you are entitled to your opinion you are also doing the oppositions managers work for him. Don't want to preach but sometimes we have to remind ourselves the role we play.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

It happens at nearly every big club the home fans get on the players backs if their not pulling their weight. It’s not rocket science and has been going on for years. 

7 minutes ago, Fervid said:

It happens at nearly every big club the home fans get on the players backs if their not pulling their weight. It’s not rocket science and has been going on for years. 

It doesn't always. I've been at plenty of matches as a neutral and heard unbridled support in response to going a goal behind at home. It helps when the home team are banging on the door with tons of crosses, pressure and shots, which we just don't do.

Negativity manifests itself rapidly here when things don't go our way. It's a groan and resignment to "It's happening again". It just feels different with us. I'm sure 'pissboil' is a term we've exclusively created.

MM's not said that just to try and make his job easier. It's a real millstone round our necks. Marc White said exactly the same thing on our phone in over a year ago. He uses it as a motivational tool and a strategy. It has to be something we get better at as a support base. I'm not holding my breath, but I think if MM can build a team which at least asserts some control on the game at home, I expect most fans will be able to see that, even if it's not the finished article. He mentioned patience and he will get that, as long as we stop turning into a team of wet wipes at home to Boston fucking United.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fervid said:

it defo doesnt

10 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

MM: Terry McPhillips is our head of recruitment, he's full time with us and co-ordinates all the recommendations that come in, all the scouting reports, he puts them together with one of the stats guys we have. We draw on contacts as well. Our scouting system is probably one of the best around. People are fed up of me asking about right backs.

We would stat that up, we have so much technology now to watch players play to get an opinion of him, you would then make your phonecalls and get character references on him in order to make sure he's the one that can come in and do a job for us here.

We have targets we would like to bring the most and we would settle on the one that wants to come here the most as well.

So inconclusion we are scouting players and having them watched and using stats and data and technology to help plus we are profiling their characters too. This does sound like we are trying to do the right thing in recruitment atleast.

The "right thing" is what works for us.  The way we've been doing it hasn't worked so far - hopefully the way described is different to the way we have been doing and will work, but it'll only be "right" when it's effective...

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It doesn't always. I've been at plenty of matches as a neutral and heard unbridled support in response to going a goal behind at home. It helps when the home team are banging on the door with tons of crosses, pressure and shots, which we just don't do.

Negativity manifests itself rapidly here when things don't go our way. It's a groan and resignment to "It's happening again". It just feels different with us. I'm sure 'pissboil' is a term we've exclusively created.

MM's not said that just to try and make his job easier. It's a real millstone round our necks. Marc White said exactly the same thing on our phone in over a year ago. He uses it as a motivational tool and a strategy. It has to be something we get better at as a support base. I'm not holding my breath, but I think if MM can build a team which at least asserts some control on the game at home, I expect most fans will be able to see that, even if it's not the finished article. He mentioned patience and he will get that, as long as we stop turning into a team of wet wipes at home to Boston fucking United.

The players seem to be choosing to listen to the negative, rather than the positive crowd reaction.  The atmosphere at BP - thanks to the Athleticos - has been the best since the Premier League days. We were 3-0 down at home to Fylde in a massive game last season and the Athleticos were singing "Mickey Mellon's Blue and White Army"!  Being negative is counter-productive, but I thought that specific moment laughed in the face of this "the fans are too negative" theory...

It's a cop-out blaming fans negativity.  Unfortunately, when you buy, manage or play for this club, you take on the burden of 33 years of decline.  Not your fault - no one's saying it is - but there has to be some empathy that while it's new for you, it's not new for the vast majority of fans in the ground.  Yes, we have knobheads in the crowd - but every club does.  You have to put your big-boy pants on and ignore them or laugh at them. Otherwise I'm not sure playing for a bigger club is for you.  

It's seen as a negative that our fans "love a trier" who runs around- I've never really understood why. If you try, never give up and also have a bit of quality to impact games, you'll get the fans onside.  Having the inability to cope with the pressure of playing for us is not the fans fault.

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The players seem to be choosing to listen to the negative, rather than the positive crowd reaction.  The atmosphere at BP - thanks to the Athleticos - has been the best since the Premier League days. We were 3-0 down at home to Fylde in a massive game last season and the Athleticos were singing "Mickey Mellon's Blue and White Army"!  Being negative is counter-productive, but I thought that specific moment laughed in the face of this "the fans are too negative" theory...

It's a cop-out blaming fans negativity.  Unfortunately, when you buy, manage or play for this club, you take on the burden of 33 years of decline.  Not your fault - no one's saying it is - but there has to be some empathy that while it's new for you, it's not new for the vast majority of fans in the ground.  Yes, we have knobheads in the crowd - but every club does.  You have to put your big-boy pants on and ignore them or laugh at them. Otherwise I'm not sure playing for a bigger club is for you.  

It's seen as a negative that our fans "love a trier" who runs around- I've never really understood why. If you try, never give up and also have a bit of quality to impact games, you'll get the fans onside.  Having the inability to cope with the pressure of playing for us is not the fans fault.

I think the key point in this is that other teams are actively stating it as a specific weakness and using it to get better results against us. We know he's not lying about this, we've had Marc White say it and there's been anecdotal evidence from other clubs. This is different from the general idea of playing away at a big club and trying to silence the crowd.

Mellon has clearly stated that it's their responsibility to play better and get better results. But that there is also something fans could do to help and that's remove that weapon from the oppositions arsenal. I don't see that as blaming the fans or making excuses.

I don't really understand why any fan when told that there's something they could do to help would then say fuck off, just play better you pricks!

Edit - I sent before I'd finished. 

The other thing I was going to say is that hopefully by recruiting the right characters this summer, this weakness will become less of an issue anyway, as we should have a team that can handle the pressure better. But still, that might take a bit of time to bed in. 

Edited by nzlatic
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The "right thing" is what works for us.  The way we've been doing it hasn't worked so far - hopefully the way described is different to the way we have been doing and will work, but it'll only be "right" when it's effective...

Oh absolutely time will tell how successful it is, certainly last season wasn't a success, but we do look like we are doing extensive research into the players that we sign which is better than just calling up an agent say.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think the key point in this is that other teams are actively stating it as a specific weakness and using it to get better results against us. We know he's not lying about this, we've had Marc White say it and there's been anecdotal evidence from other clubs. This is different from the general idea of playing away at a big club and trying to silence the crowd.

Mellon has clearly stated that it's their responsibility to play better and get better results. But that there is also something fans could do to help and that's remove that weapon from the oppositions arsenal. I don't see that as blaming the fans or making excuses.

I don't really understand why any fan when told that there's something they could do to help would then say fuck off, just play better you pricks!

Some people just don't see it like that.  Mellon's never going to be able to control what the crowd do.  He can control to a larger extent how the players react to it by working on mental resilience or signing players with the character to deal with it..

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Edit - I sent before I'd finished. 

The other thing I was going to say is that hopefully by recruiting the right characters this summer, this weakness will become less of an issue anyway, as we should have a team that can handle the pressure better. But still, that might take a bit of time to bed in. 

Are you referring to any specific weapon...? :)

39 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Totally agree.

At the start of every match the fans, especially the Athleticos, create a positive atmosphere. It's only AFTER the players stop running off the ball, back out of 50/50s,  constantly pass sideways and back that it turns.

Having said that in the past the Athleticos have still plugged away, but by the end of this season even that had gone. Also this isn't fans turning after one poor game, it's after game after game for several years. There is hardly ever a surprise moment where the players have remotely entertained us.

I know it's used against us but don't do the three things I have said and it won't be an issue. Oh and stop slowing it down at throw-ins, dead-ball kicks, actually my list could be larger :)

13 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Fairly certain I was bashed at some point earlier in the season for having the gall to suggest the players had a weak mentality and couldn't deal with any sort of crowd.

Turns out I was spot on. Again. 

Fair enough, but if I may say so the word "Again" is doing some heavy lifting there.

• Like 1

Anybody know/remember who won the end of season awards, or were they cancelled completely due to lack of candidates? We’ve always had player of the season awards previously even in very bad seasons but can’t recall seeing anything about them this year.

Far and away the most interesting line from last night was that we'd sold 5 kids to PL clubs last season.  5? Wow?  What a statement that is about what a big loss the academy changes are

going to be.

Any ideas who, who to and how much for?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Far and away the most interesting line from last night was that we'd sold 5 kids to PL clubs last season.  5? Wow?  What a statement that is about what a big loss the academy changes are

going to be.

Any ideas who, who to and how much for?

One lad to Fulham for 100k

The negativity of the fans does play against us, those denying that are in denial. 
The fact managers use that against us shows exactly what it does. 

I bet we were the only fanbase which sang negative chants towards their top scorer. 

• Like 3

I'm trying to find more of these PL transfers. So far I can only find non-PL, and I think they turned down our offers to accept deals rather than being sold.

Aaron Atkinson - to Barnsley

Favour (Jid) Okeke - to Stockport County

Jim Simms - to Hull (since released)

The player sold to Fulham was Damon Park.

5 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

I'm trying to find more of these PL transfers. So far I can only find non-PL, and I think they turned down our offers to accept deals rather than being sold.

Aaron Atkinson - to Barnsley

Favour (Jid) Okeke - to Stockport County

Jim Simms - to Hull (since released)

The player sold to Fulham was Damon Park.

Zak Emmerson to Brighton?

Just now, DarkStar said:

Zak Emmerson to Brighton?

Going back Philliskirk to Chelsea, the goalkeeper to Everton.  there was a lad maybe four years ago to Liverpool.  Five in one season seems remarkable.