6 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Won’t knock him for taking charge and leading a defence where the other players average 20 y.o., but he was very fortunate not to be directly at fault for two goals

Thought Edmundson was motm by quite a distance. Rarely sit at pitch level and I was surprised by his size. Even more surprised that he was chosen over Gerrard to mark that Andrew twat, and he put himself about like a far more experienced defender than he is. 

Even managed to hold himself together when I thought he’d been embroiled in a battle which would get himself sent off. Although as with the nature of our managerial turnaround, he’ll end up benched again next season when somebody replaces Wellens

I wasn’t referring to his match performance, I meant when the knobhead ran on.

Now we are on the subject tho, George Edmundson is mega.

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

I recall a Huddersfield fan getting onto the pitch @ Leeds Road during a midweek game in 1988 and punching the linesman to the ground, who had to be stretchered off. 

He was aggrieved at an Offside decision that had led to one of our goals that evening in a 2-2 draw. Ritchie & Palmer scored I think. IIRC it was around this time of year and Huddersfield - managed by Malcolm McDonald - needed to win to have any chance of staying up.

In the same game, a young Latics fan fell from a crash barrier and cut his head open. My dad helped tend to him. Another Latics fan scaled the barriers that penned supporters in,  pre-Hillsbrough, in a bid to find the St.Johns Ambulance. The stewards and police tried to stop him.

Things were a lot worse back then.

It was offside though, even Tommy Wright looked surprised he wasn’t flagged. I seem to remember it being a bit nasty on the car park after the game as well that night

From the reading of this discussion, sounds like a horrible performance without a shot on goal - the YouTube highlights bear that out. It was only a matter of time before Rochdale scored....but they didn't.

On its own, this was a good point away from home. But, when you look at this in conjunction with two draws at BP against out-of-form teams, this becomes a much worse point.

We are running out of games and need a win. The only saving grace is an away game at (likely already relegated) Northampton which could confirm our League One status for the 97th consecutive year. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Could be that he has a wife and kids coming to the game its probably not what they want to hear sung about him in fairness, the people singing it probably don't mean to cause offense quite the opposite infact but its best we come up with something a bit better.

It's fair to say he has a different moral compass to John Terry.

I thought the team as a whole were just too scared. It's one thing throwing yourself into a tackle but very few wanted to make a risky pass or receive the ball under pressure. As said Johnny and the young defenders did well. Also thought Doyle made what he could of it, forcing some corners from nothing 

23 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

It was offside though, even Tommy Wright looked surprised he wasn’t flagged. I seem to remember it being a bit nasty on the car park after the game as well that night

....I couldn't tell from my view behind the goal..... which looked not dissimilar to this.....

Image result for leeds road huddersfield

4 hours ago, NewBlue said:

In every group of 3000 people there will always be at least one bellend like him. Ultimately it’s the Rochdale and GMP’s fault and their fault alone that he got onto the pitch

It’s his fault and his fault alone though that he wanted to get on the pitch! I didn’t even think that it was a particularly contentious penalty. What an idiot he was. Hope he’s banned and fined. Unfortunately the club will probably get fined as well though.

I can’t understand why RW thinks it’s going to be productive hoofing the ball up to Doyle when he’s always going to have a big centre half clambering over the back of him and we virtually never gain possession from that.

Surely we should be playing to Doyle’s strengths, as in playing him in behind the defence and giving him goal scoring opportunities. His strike rate this season has been excellent and missing chances doesn’t seem to put him off, always the sign of a proper striker.

I think it shows just how much we miss Davies when he’s out of the team. They had a great partnership going earlier in the season.

Personally I would pick AAH while Davies is out. He’s a target man and Doyle would probably be better suited playing alongside him. Perhaps bring Nazon on as an impact sub when the defenders are tiring.

Our midfield is dire at times though and I’ve no idea how that can be sorted out with the personnel that we’ve got.

Thought Johnny, Hamer and Edmundson were - on the whole - excellent last night.

Nervy end to the season, hopefully we’ll be ok. Need to find a way to start scoring again though.

5 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I recall a Huddersfield fan getting onto the pitch @ Leeds Road during a midweek game in 1988 and punching the linesman to the ground, who had to be stretchered off. 

He was aggrieved at an Offside decision that had led to one of our goals that evening in a 2-2 draw. Ritchie & Palmer scored I think. IIRC it was around this time of year and Huddersfield - managed by Malcolm McDonald - needed to win to have any chance of staying up.

In the same game, a young Latics fan fell from a crash barrier and cut his head open. My dad helped tend to him. Another Latics fan scaled the barriers that penned supporters in,  pre-Hillsbrough, in a bid to find the St.Johns Ambulance. The stewards and police tried to stop him.

Things were a lot worse back then.

That other fan was me, he was sat on the barriers and just literally went over and landed on his face. I’m the same age as him and I knew him as his dad was coach at a Chaddy Park. He was a tight mess as his cheek and nose his the step.

12 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

That other fan was me, he was sat on the barriers and just literally went over and landed on his face. I’m the same age as him and I knew him as his dad was coach at a Chaddy Park. He was a tight mess as his cheek and nose his the step.

....you were the chap that scaled the barriers?

Ive just looked the game up. 19th April 1988. 30 years ago tomorrow! :goggle:

Edited by lookersstandandy

1 hour ago, Gary1906 said:

It’s his fault and his fault alone though that he wanted to get on the pitch! I didn’t even think that it was a particularly contentious penalty. What an idiot he was. Hope he’s banned and fined. Unfortunately the club will probably get fined as well though.

Exactly right. How anyone can blame the police or stewards for a fan invading the pitch is completely beyond me. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Everyone knows that you're not supposed to go on to the pitch. Unfortunately if one halfwit is determined enough the police/stewards can't always stop him. The fact he took his class A drugs with him shows he wasn't the brightest, unfortunately we'll probably get fined as a result.

1 minute ago, Worcester Owl said:

Exactly right. How anyone can blame the police or stewards for a fan invading the pitch is completely beyond me. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Everyone knows that you're not supposed to go on to the pitch. Unfortunately if one halfwit is determined enough the police/stewards can't always stop him. The fact he took his class A drugs with him shows he wasn't the brightest, unfortunately we'll probably get fined as a result.

The blame of the fan is implicit. There’s always one or two bellends. It’s the stewards’ jobs to not allow them onto the playing surface

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

....you were the chap that scaled the barriers?

Ive just looked the game up. 19th April 1988. 30 years ago tomorrow! :goggle:

Can still picture that moron,we may be a bunch of old buggers but were unbelievably fortunate to see some awesome football back then.

Got to take twenty years or so of rough with the smooth i suppose  :wink:

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

The blame of the fan is implicit. There’s always one or two bellends. It’s the stewards’ jobs to not allow them onto the playing surface

I get what you are saying, but if we were to start watching games with a full row of stewards stood in front of us there would be uproar, also clubs at this level are struggling enough without having to pay for more stewards. The blame lies solely with the one individual who ran onto the pitch to confront the referee, the only way forward is to sue the person who committed the offence, so the clubs who are going to get punished get reimbursed on any financial punishment ( by the way I'm not an advocate of this form of legal redress).

The only punishment should be to the individual. Rochdale and Oldham are blameless. 

On 17/04/2018 at 12:35 PM, TheBigDog said:

The Fane conundrum: been done to death now so let’s agree that there are differing opinions on his ability/value to the team etc. 

As as long as Wellens picks him, then he must be doing something right. When Richie no longer picks him or needs him in the team then he will have found either someone better or he will have changed his system of play. Until then give him and the team 100% backing and hope that they in turn put in 100% effort.

Now... let’s get back on topic: Rochdale. A draw would probably suit both sides...

Wellens comment following the draw at ‘dale:

Speaking about the game, Wellens said: “The best players on the pitch for me were my goalkeeper, back four, my defensive midfield, Ousmane Fane was outstanding, but my attacking players didn’t really turn up.

When subbed I’m told Byrne complained of neck ache from watching the ball fly over his head. Now that sums up the way we have stopped playing football. Another four draws will probably do it but I can’t see that happening so we need to win a game.  We have a class striker in Doyle and created just one chance for him all game. 

47 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Speaking about the game, Wellens said: “The best players on the pitch for me were my goalkeeper, back four, my defensive midfield, Ousmane Fane was outstanding, but my attacking players didn’t really turn up.

That'll get em busting a gut for the last 4 games.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

seems to be calling players out in public a lot with no effect, are the players playing for him or switched off ???????

1 hour ago, Hands on said:

When subbed I’m told Byrne complained of neck ache from watching the ball fly over his head. Now that sums up the way we have stopped playing football. Another four draws will probably do it but I can’t see that happening so we need to win a game.  We have a class striker in Doyle and created just one chance for him all game. 

Jack may have a point but he needs to be accountable for his own terrible form. He got the ball first half in decent areas and lost the ball straight away.

In the loan spell that was his best attribute, low centre if gravity and really hard to get the ball off.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Ousmane Fane was outstanding. Eff me, we are well and truly buggared.