Since lockdown

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tGWB said:

Interested to know your opinion on if you think the monies currently coming in to the EFL Clubs from tv will increase v current amounts 

I would imagine that they could increase but agents/players would just want more money...

3 hours ago, tGWB said:

Fair post

Interested to know your opinion on if you think the monies currently coming in to the EFL Clubs from tv will increase v current amounts 

Well the EFL isn't as sellable globally as the PL it may well go up but certainly not at the rate of the PL so I can only see the gap widening further. We have already see streaming come into the EFL from clubs player sites this may well be an Avenue the EFL it may well be more profitable for them to stream games individually for £10 a throw rather than have a collective deal with sky.

If the PL decide to hand over more money to the EFL in solidarity payments then you can imagine they will want more from it so you can see them pushing the case for B teams if thats the case.

Trouble is really is its alright when you are in the PL all is fine but as has been seen by clubs such as Bolton Leeds and Portsmouth or even ourselves further back the fall out can be quite dramatic. Bournemouth right now gain the vast majority of their total revenue from tv money I think its in the region of 80-90% comes from the TV deal if they go down they could be quite vulnerable.

Don’t know if it has been mentioned in this or any other topic.

Does anybody think these times we are living in at the moment, could lead back to regionalisation of lower league football?

4 hours ago, jsslatic said:

If the lockdown continues for an extended period and several of the 92 go to the wall I anticipate there will be a compelling argument for the election of phoenix clubs to a restarted EFL. 

Coronavirus is just a massive Bury plot to avoid being relegated from the league.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I would imagine that they could increase but agents/players would just want more money...

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

If the PL decide to hand over more money to the EFL in solidarity payments then you can imagine they will want more from it so you can see them pushing the case for B teams if thats the case.

Trouble is really is its alright when you are in the PL all is fine but as has been seen by clubs such as Bolton Leeds and Portsmouth or even ourselves further back the fall out can be quite dramatic. Bournemouth right now gain the vast majority of their total revenue from tv money I think its in the region of 80-90% comes from the TV deal if they go down they could be quite vulnerable.

For me:

The Premier League desperately needs to keep its profile as 'the best league in the world' and the top 6-8 teams in particular couldn't care less about the EFL and the teams within it.

To attract even more money they need to change the look of the Premier League and do some kind of relaunch or potential  tv/streaming/Amazon revenues will diminish.

Bournemouth v Brighton & Hove Albion just doesn't sell over here never mind overseas

I can see an 'elite teams' Premier League being formatted within the next 3-5 years similar to the NFL with strict rules of initial entry such as ground capacities over say c35,000 and there would be no relegations from the League.

Cup Competitions would be some form of knockout cup competition between the teams and of course the Champions League and lets be honest, most of the current Premier League clubs see the 'League Cup' as an inconvenience and increasingly our wonderful FA Cup

This would be the only way of delaying the top 6-8 teams leaving English football entirely to compete in an 'elite European League'

The EFL is in No Mans Land and has yet to wake up to the predicament its in

Teams within the EFL structure offer virtually no attraction to a world wide audience, with maybe the exception of Leeds who will most certainly be promoted into the Premier League this season or next.

The remaining Championship teams are not an attractive proposition to warrant a place in an 'elite team' Premier League or able to attract £big money from significant tv/streaming contracts

I can see significantly reduced revenues than EFL teams are currently benefitting from which will hit every team very hard with many falling out the 'professional leagues' format 

The current lockdown magnifies the fact that teams within the EFL are on a life support machine being provided by tv monies

The top  6-8 Premier League teams have already muted their dissatisfaction that other Premier League get the same seasonal 'standard equal share payment' as them being £79.4m.

I cannot see the Premier League teams being over generous to the EFL particularly as they're more aware than ever before how reliant they are themselves on broadcasting monies

The EFL needs a serious chat with itself instead of watching the world pass it by

Why not:

1. Market a strong Championship with clubs competing in the FA Cup and additionally an Anglo Scottish Cup with the Scottish Premier League teams
  2. Cap Championship team wages at say 60% of revenues
  3. League One and League Two to go into a North and South league format to save expense for both clubs and supporters, likely to increase attendances with games being more 'localised'
  4.  Cap North and South team wages at say 50% of revenues
  5. Drop the League Cup in favour of a more financially rewarding FA Cup just for EFL teams  

There’s a fair amount of opposition to regional leagues but it is surely the way to go. Better crowds and less travelling would cut costs overnight. If you had a similar format in the National League and below I think it could work well. If there is no change survival would be difficult for sure!!

Assuming we still have a club at the end of this it will be very interesting to see what impact the break from football has on our fans.

It is clear that we were on track for the lowest level of season ticket sales in a generation when the season was suspended. It is quite possible that a taste of what it is like not to go to football on a Saturday might help flog some tickets once things 'go back to normal'. Alternatively fans may decide they haven't missed it and walk away completely.

I can't say that I am missing it. I am missing many things including meeting up with friends at the football but I am not missing watching Oldham Athletic.

The timing of this pandemic has left the club in a bizarre position because of the adjourned court hearing. We have bo idea who, if anyone, will own the club going forward. If Abdallah had the money required to buy the ground (well, you never know) a month ago it certainly doesn't mean that he necessarily has it now or will have it in a month's time. 

Likewise, Simon Blitz was apparently prepared to fund us through administration. I bet he's counting his lucky stars that he didn't get stuck with that liability and we can't rely on the fact that this offer will be there going forward.

There are much bigger things to worry about right now but the future of our football club has probably never been more in the air including in 2003.

Haven’t missed OAFC in the last three weeks I’m afraid and this is only second time I’ve popped on here in that time.  However, this morning I woke up and wished I could jump in the car, drive the 120 miles to BP and watch us against Plymouth.

I did binge watch the two series of “Sunderland ‘Til I Die“.  Fascinating especially the club in League One under Stewart Donald.  Decent bloke, passionate about football and just shows how someone is willing to blow their personal wealth purely because the love the beautiful game.  Not saying him and Lemsagam are similar but it does show how running a football club can chew you up and spit you out trying to chase that dream of success on the pitch.  Fast running out of cash, looking for external investment and blowing your dough on Will Grigg doesn’t guarantee 20 goals a season.  Netflix should approach our club and do a similar series.

5 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Haven’t missed OAFC in the last three weeks I’m afraid and this is only second time I’ve popped on here in that time.  However, this morning I woke up and wished I could jump in the car, drive the 120 miles to BP and watch us against Plymouth.

I did binge watch the two series of “Sunderland ‘Til I Die“.  Fascinating especially the club in League One under Stewart Donald.  Decent bloke, passionate about football and just shows how someone is willing to blow their personal wealth purely because the love the beautiful game.  Not saying him and Lemsagam are similar but it does show how running a football club can chew you up and spit you out trying to chase that dream of success on the pitch.  Fast running out of cash, looking for external investment and blowing your dough on Will Grigg doesn’t guarantee 20 goals a season.  Netflix should approach our club and do a similar series.

Years ago there was a TV programme based on a football club (can't remember the title), but lots of fans thought it was so close to what was happening at BP that it was based on us.

22 hours ago, Midsblue said:

I too watched both series In fairly quick time. It was a fascinating insight into the minds of those involved at all levels of the club. As with many big clubs, there is a sense of entitlement and a belief that Sunderland belong in the top division. Following the first relegation they retained too many failed players on large salaries. The financial mismanagement was plain for all to see and the clubs failure to remedy this was painful to watch.

Sunderland fans. Yes I know that they turned up in large numbers but many of them too easily turned against the team and, in my opinion, were also a key factor in the downward spiral of the club. Like football fans the world over they ranged from the blindly loyal to the seriously delusional. The vitriol and anger of some that was caught on camera was all too familiar. Many of the players seemed deeply affected by the fans hostility. Even now current owner Stewart Donald has had to stop going to games due to the aggressive nature of a section of the club’s so-called fans.

Simon Grayson. It was apparent very early into series one that he was not the right man for the job. He often seemed out of his depth and his failings seemed to impact many of the players.

Chris Coleman. His initial impact, along with that of Kit Symons, was positive but eventually he was brought down by the problems he inherited and could not prevent the slide into League 1. Came across as a lovely bloke though. Incidentally, in his time as manager, Coleman never met the club owner Ellis Short.

Martin Bain. CEO under Ellis Short. Had all the credentials to be a success but only managed to oversee two successive relegations. What a tough job he had though.

Ellis Short. Simply stopped funding the club and hung on too long before selling. He did however settle all club debts before he did sell.

Stewart Donald. As you say he is a passionate football owner and fan. Shown on the terraces at Away games with his son and the fans. He seriously screwed up when he paid way over the odds for Will Grigg. He also should have stuck with Jack Ross as manager.

Charlie Methven. Came across as a bit of a bully who could have been good for the club but had a bad attitude and zero man management qualities. Alienated the fans with many of his ill-judged comments. Still a shareholder.

The players. Too easily let their heads drop and lacked leadership and determination to get out of the mess.

Jack Rodwell. What was that all about? Made 67 appearances in 4 seasons whilst drawing a large weekly wage.

And as for the role of agents... greedy parasites imho.

Hugely insightful and entertaining program - and probably representative of what happens at so many clubs. 

It is a tough job running a football club.

The longer it goes on a resumption seems less likely .

I don't think any more games should be played.

How do you quarantine players ? What if a player has the virus and may have infected all the team? How do you finish European tournaments if countries are at different lockdown states?

I do feel however they must award Liverpool the title. To remove all their record breaking achievements would be wrong and hang over a new season.

8 minutes ago, stargazer said:

The longer it goes on a resumption seems less likely .

I don't think any more games should be played.

How do you quarantine players ? What if a player has the virus and may have infected all the team? How do you finish European tournaments if countries are at different lockdown states?

I do feel however they must award Liverpool the title. To remove all their record breaking achievements would be wrong and hang over a new season.

The right thing to do in my eyes is finish this season as long as it takes. Then next season is forfeited, start a new season in August 2021.

12 hours ago, stargazer said:

That would be hilarious. The whole season written off, nobody wins anything, no promotion, no relegation, no play offs, no trophies. EXCEPT Libpool yeah go on you can have one even tho you haven't actually won it. Maybe even scratch an asterix into the top right corner of the trophy, or hollow it out as a physical incarnation of the hollowness of the win. Bring it on. 😂😂😂😂.

11 hours ago, disjointed said:

The right thing to do in my eyes is finish this season as long as it takes. Then next season is forfeited, start a new season in August 2021.

Or just change the start of next season. Maybe work out a way of now being able to acommodate the ridiculous corrupt 'winter world cup.'

14 hours ago, disjointed said:

We have only 9 games left to play, even without players contractual problems, do you really think the majority of football clubs in general let alone in our division could realistically survive until Aug 2021?

Whether the season is abandoned or league positions at the close are classed as ‘final’ and whether relegations and promotions are justifiable is a matter for the league hierarchy.

As unfair as it would seem to the title contenders and promotion chasing clubs were the season to be scratched, the situation is totally unprecedented and unfortunately difficult decisions will have to be made at a difficult time!

For me the season finishes now and we start next season as early as it is safe to do so.

1 hour ago, stargazer said:

If they do restart the season  I for one will have to have a look at the league tables , I cannot recall who is top of our division , who is left in the cups etc.

Ill have to have a look at who our starting 11 are.  Nevermind league tables.

9 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Or just change the start of next season. Maybe work out a way of now being able to acommodate the ridiculous corrupt 'winter world cup.'

Agreed about the world cup.

This season should be decided on points per game, which probably means the tables will stay more or less the same as they are now. Scrap all cup games.

Next season may be able to start if a treatment or cure is found which would stop people dying. Otherwise there is no way a new season can be started until a vaccine is found. Lots of L1 and 2 clubs may not be too badly affected because players contracts just won't be renewed. The Championship clubs would be in real trouble though, with players on silly contracts which are normally longer than lower league clubs.

Archived