Marwan Koukash

c

Question....when was the last league club to go bust and not reopen again

Depends what you mean by reopen. I think the fans of clubs such as Rushden, Halifax, Chester, Newport etc might put themselves in that category while Stockport fans probably think they may as well have

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the comment about is this the same Simon who saved our club crap.....they bought the club for 1 reason only, to make money on the land....

When they financial crisis hit 2 of them ran for the hills to leave 1 person behind to protect the money they already invested.

Question....when was the last league club to go bust and not reopen again.....there is always someone willing to take the club on, if it wasnt TTA it would have been someone else. You go into administration and then you start again from scratch

Until Simon finishes the stand or finds a new investment I will never be his biggest fan because we havent progressed in his 10 years at the club.

Why don't you pay the odd visit to the real world? We've progressed in the sense that we fought off insolvency and still have a club to support - currently with a really exciting manager and squad, so giving hope for the future. And I should think that SC values the money he has put in plus the time he takes to run OAFC as being worth a bit more than "crap". Maybe you should have taken the club over instead?

I hate the comment about is this the same Simon who saved our club crap.....they bought the club for 1 reason only, to make money on the land....

When they financial crisis hit 2 of them ran for the hills to leave 1 person behind to protect the money they already invested.

Question....when was the last league club to go bust and not reopen again.....there is always someone willing to take the club on, if it wasnt TTA it would have been someone else. You go into administration and then you start again from scratch

Until Simon finishes the stand or finds a new investment I will never be his biggest fan because we havent progressed in his 10 years at the club.

image_zps822dfd58.jpg

If all they wanted to do was make money on the land why haven't they just sold it? If that's all they were interested in doing I'd say they've done an awful job of it.

Because they think they can get more for it in a stronger economy.

And they have just sold one of the car parks.

A point to consider. If koukash does buy us he wouldn't be here full tie obviously (with Salford and the supposed bid for Oldham rugby) so would he keep Corney on as chief exec after the job he has done

Do you think the New York based Simon Corney would want such a job if he didn't own 97% of the club?

Like I said,put up or shut up MK.

On the other hand,if he is serious about a bid then I think its only fair Corney plays this fair and doesn't put up a ridiculous asking price for the club(or land ).

In other words,if its happening lets not have it dragging on for months.

Like I said,put up or shut up MK.

On the other hand,if he is serious about a bid then I think its only fair Corney plays this fair and doesn't put up a ridiculous asking price for the club(or land ).

In other words,if its happening lets not have it dragging on for months.

Like the supposedly new stand.

Because they think they can get more for it in a stronger economy.

And they have just sold one of the car parks.

Twaddle!

Do you really think running a League 1 football club and backing and sacking managers over ten years in order to keep us there is the prudent way for a businessman to wait for land values to increase?

Corney and his amigo's had a much easier and cheaper alternative at their disposal. Disastrous for Oldham Athletic Football club though.

Twaddle!Do you really think running a League 1 football club and backing and sacking managers over ten years in order to keep us there is the prudent way for a businessman to wait for land values to increase?Corney and his amigo's had a much easier and cheaper alternative at their disposal. Disastrous for Oldham Athletic Football club though.

Why do people assume one extreme or the other when it comes to TTA. They bought the place for the land, but they were "moral" enough not to want to screw the football club.

Why do people assume one extreme or the other when it comes to TTA. They bought the place for the land, but they were "moral" enough not to want to screw the football club.

I assume both extremes, TTA identified making a killing on the land and they fancied the idea of running a football club. To assume otherwise simply flies in the face of common sense. For me, they made a major error in assuming the housing market was going to keep rising at 15% plus PA for the foreseeable future. This was totally unsustainable. If their original plan for 600 housing units had ever got through planning I doubt very much they would have seen the light of day. In 2004 the housing market was already slowing because first time buyers could no longer afford to get on the first rung. A major adjustment of the housing market was inevitable. The fuse had been lit for the financial implosion ahead.

Glitz and Gazal soon got bored with the football side leaving their money and Corney (who I believe has a genuine soft spot for the club) to hold the fort. Corney’s input to the club during the last six years goes way, way beyond ‘moral obligation’ and I would find it an insult if it was me being judged this way.

Corney is tired of the constant striving to get a winning team on the park. I can understand that. The relentless dependence on a manager and a group of footballers to get results while every time they go out another group is trying to stop them, not to mention a deteriorating stadium.

As for Koukash, if it ever happens. I don’t know him and I can’t stop Corney selling the club to him. Whoever is the next owner will have their own agenda, but they won’t be here simply for their love of Oldham Athletic. TTA will take some beating.

Edited by mikeroyboy

I assume both extremes, TTA identified making a killing on the land and they fancied the idea of running a football club. To assume otherwise simply flies in the face of common sense. For me, they made a major error in assuming the housing market was going to keep rising at 15% plus PA for the foreseeable future. This was totally unsustainable. If their original plan for 600 housing units had ever got through planning I doubt very much they would have seen the light of day. In 2004 the housing market was already slowing because first time buyers could no longer afford to get on the first rung. A major adjustment of the housing market was inevitable. The fuse had been lit for the financial implosion ahead.Glitz and Gazal soon got bored with the football side leaving their money and Corney (who I believe has a genuine soft spot for the club) to hold the fort. Corney’s input to the club during the last six years goes way, way beyond ‘moral obligation’ and I would find it an insult if it was me being judged this way.Corney is tired of the constant striving to get a winning team on the park. I can understand that. The relentless dependence on a manager and a group of footballers to get results while every time they go out another group is trying to stop them, not to mention a deteriorating stadium.As for Koukash, if it ever happens. I don’t know him and I can’t stop Corney selling the club to him. Whoever is the next owner will have their own agenda, but they won’t be here simply for their love of Oldham Athletic. TTA will take some beating.

Spot on apart from the housing market in 2004. The boom had hardly started then.

Wasn't it pretty much common knowledge that they wanted to get into running a club, rather than that they were looking at land deals?

Wasn't it said by a few that OAFC were not "saveable"? (Risdale for one; the man who has sailed a few clubs into problems)

I'd suggest that they were astute enough to realise that whilst they might lose some money on OAFC, they could hedge their losses to a degree by developing the land; which is exaclty the sort of rational thinking you'd want at a club to ensure long term safety.

I assume both extremes, TTA identified making a killing on the land and they fancied the idea of running a football club. To assume otherwise simply flies in the face of common sense. For me, they made a major error in assuming the housing market was going to keep rising at 15% plus PA for the foreseeable future. This was totally unsustainable. If their original plan for 600 housing units had ever got through planning I doubt very much they would have seen the light of day. In 2004 the housing market was already slowing because first time buyers could no longer afford to get on the first rung. A major adjustment of the housing market was inevitable. The fuse had been lit for the financial implosion ahead.

Glitz and Gazal soon got bored with the football side leaving their money and Corney (who I believe has a genuine soft spot for the club) to hold the fort. Corneys input to the club during the last six years goes way, way beyond moral obligation and I would find it an insult if it was me being judged this way.

Corney is tired of the constant striving to get a winning team on the park. I can understand that. The relentless dependence on a manager and a group of footballers to get results while every time they go out another group is trying to stop them, not to mention a deteriorating stadium.

As for Koukash, if it ever happens. I dont know him and I cant stop Corney selling the club to him. Whoever is the next owner will have their own agenda, but they wont be here simply for their love of Oldham Athletic. TTA will take some beating.

You make some valid points but, back in 2004, there was no sign of the global financial meltdown that would ensue a few years later. I have some strong views on TTA but that was just bloody awful luck; no way could they have accounted for it.

And whilst I agree that Blitz and Gazal had grown a bit bored of telling their mates they owned a football club, their main reason for leaving* was because they didn't want to put any further money in as they were struggling to see how they were going to get it back out.

* - when I say 'leaving' I obviously mean lurking in the shadows, calling in their 'loans' as and when they get an opportunity and holding into to the only real valuable asset the club had - the land.

I just hope their determination to get back their money doesn't prohibit the sale of the club to anyone who could genuinely move it in the right direction (whether that be Koukash or anyone else).

Spot on apart from the housing market in 2004. The boom had hardly started then.

My 'slowing down' comment was a personal observation of the housing market in Saddleworth and certainly wasn't a local/nationally identified trend at the time, while I could also be out by up to 12months.

Many Saddleworth properties were snapped up before even seeing a 'for sale' board up until this time. TTA did't know this, neither did anyone else. This was the time sale boards started to sprout up and stick, slowly but insidiously.

I know someone who tried to sell there house in Saddleworth at this time and it was priced as valued (pretty much the top of the market, price wise)and there it stuck. The vendors were adamant they would not reduce the price because of the boom. They finally sold it four years later at a massive discount after turning down better offers in the meantime because in the beginning they and no one could believe what was happening, including the banks.

TTA were unlucky and too ambitious with there plans but the boom in house price had been growing for about ten years and couldn't possibly be maintained. While I identified that fact before 2004 I certainly didn't see the carnage that was about to befall us.

My worry with Koukash is again this new staduim in Salford where he knows a football league club would make more money than a super League side in bigger publicty, better gates including away support.

When that staduim was built i honestly thought FC United would move in, If Koukash is serious about wanting to invest in Latics maybe the club could sit him down, see what is intentions are with representatives from the trust, Playershare and maybe 12 random fans to put questions.

My worry with Koukash is again this new staduim in Salford where he knows a football league club would make more money than a super League side in bigger publicty, better gates including away support.

When that staduim was built i honestly thought FC United would move in, If Koukash is serious about wanting to invest in Latics maybe the club could sit him down, see what is intentions are with representatives from the trust, Playershare and maybe 12 random fans to put questions.

Don't worry. Barry'll be there to represent the fan on the street.

That's my only concern??? Why has he not gone for them? They have the ability to be 10 times bigger than us in years to come, because people currently travel from all over Greater Manchester to watch them play in a :censored: league!