Marwan Koukash

I am sorry but the money baxter has gone for wouldn't cover bringing in 7 players!! I think funding has already started to be given.

No chance of a third party funding these players.

Some of it was still in budget - we always get loan players in after deadline day. Some of it is funded by freeing up of a big wage and replacing that with a series of smaller wages. Some of it is due to replacing Baxter's long term deal with shorter deals, some of it may even be the capital raised from his transfer fee.

Edited by opinions4u

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of us have been made aware of any official bid! That says to me discussions have started, why wouldn't you just say no contact has been made by koukash if that was the case. More to this than meets the eye. Stadium has been slightly delayed? I am sorry but the money baxter has gone for wouldn't cover bringing in 7 players!! I think funding has already started to be given.

Before we over analyse the statement, lets remember that Barry wrote it and he probably didn't have a PR expert on hand to proof read it.

On the subject of rugby and football mixing, it seems rugby league is a better fit than rugby union for pitch impact.

I want the wealthy man to own Oldham Athletic. I am, however, concerned.

If we're to see a negotiation in the press it will almost certainly delay or stop the stand being built. So I take the view that he should be talking to Corney behind closed doors, agreeing a settlement with Blitz and Gazal and then start confirming his intentions, including absolute clarity where this fantastic new community stadium will be located. Anything dragged out beyond a few weeks is, quite simply, bad for Latics.

Owning two rugby league clubs? Sorry, but we're in Robert Maxwell territory here. It makes me very uncomfortable. The guy may well have made his money fairly and ethically. He's more than welcome, in my mind, to lavish it freely on Latics. But he has to understand that a sporting conflict of interests is unacceptable to anybody with a true love of either association football or rugby league.

I agree with rudemedic who suggests a "no comment" response to Mike Keegan's questions would have been appropriate.

My message to Koukash? Cut the crap, behave ethically, put up the cash and take us forwards. If you're not prepared to do all of that then please do one. I'll have to put up with Uncle Simon a little longer.

Very much agree O4U

As a result of recent speculation together with press, radio and television comments by Marwan Koukash , Director Barry Owen has issued the following statement on behalf of the Chairman and Board of Directors of Oldham Athletic Football Club.

I am aware of comments and media interest centred on Marwan Koukash and his alleged intentions to make a bid to buy the Oldham club. I have spoken to the Chairman Simon Corney, who is currently in New York, and my colleague Ian Hill and none of us are aware of any official bid that has been made to acquire the football club.

At any such stage that a bid is received it will be carefully scrutinised and considered. The Chairman has indicated in the past that the sale of the club must have its best interests as a priority and that has not changed. The Chairman has asked me to tell all fans that they will be fully informed of all events.

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20130912-statement-1049583.aspx?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#UoLVZb74RcpsxOV0.99

"alleged intentions to make a bid".........."none of us are aware of any official bid that has been made". If he intends to make a bid then he'll probably do so, when and only when, he's got all his ducks in a row and covered every aspect of his business plan.

Didn't Mike Keegan and co resurrect the undertones from the previous story....MK merely answered his questions this time around! MK obviously appears to very interested and I'm in no doubt that something will happen but he's still working on the bigger picture, when he's ready then we'll get a bid.

The club statement tells us nothing because as we all knew, there's nothing to tell just yet....I'm sure as soon as some sort of bid is lodged, we'll all be the first to know, thanks to the club. .

None of us have been made aware of any official bid! That says to me discussions have started, why wouldn't you just say no contact has been made by koukash if that was the case. More to this than meets the eye. Stadium has been slightly delayed? I am sorry but the money baxter has gone for wouldn't cover bringing in 7 players!! I think funding has already started to be given.

I never understand this logic.

If you viewed a house to potentially buy it, would you pay for a new conservatory to be built before completion of your sale?

If you viewed a house to potentially buy it, would you pay for a new conservatory to be built before completion of your sale?

But hasn't SC said the new stand is going ahead, so where does that leave MKs super stadium idea ?

I am a bit dubious of all this, he has too many irons in the fire for my liking and appears to want even more.

I find it difficult to see how he can totally focus on the Latics, and should his empire crash we all know what will happen.

Edited by BP1960

No, but every home improvement programme since the year dot says do some improvements and you will get a better price and more likely get an offer!

If the club has sitting tenants it is worth more, just as you are buying a house/business to let.

And of course, no building has actually started.....

No, but every home improvement programme since the year dot says do some improvements and you will get a better price and more likely get an offer!

If the club has sitting tenants it is worth more, just as you are buying a house/business to let.

And of course, no building has actually started.....

Houses sell for less with sitting tenants. FACT (this one's true).

As for the idea that he must have put funds in as we've signed players, wouldn't the presence of such funds have meant that there would have been no need to sell Baxter then?

What better way to show commitment to put your hand in and say here's xx amount bring in some quality players. You must be more deluded than I thought if you think baxters money has covered all these signings. Gesunga won't be cheap and that's just one of them!

What better way to show commitment to put your hand in and say here's xx amount bring in some quality players. You must be more deluded than I thought if you think baxters money has covered all these signings. Gesunga won't be cheap and that's just one of them!

Of course, nothing says commitment like a couple of kisses.

But like people have said koukash doesn't just have to deal with corney but also blitz and gazal as they still probably have a massive interest in how much the club should be sold for. That's what people have been saying on this thread. The land that's the most important factor.

"alleged intentions to make a bid".........."none of us are aware of any official bid that has been made". If he intends to make a bid then he'll probably do so, when and only when, he's got all his ducks in a row and covered every aspect of his business plan.

Didn't Mike Keegan and co resurrect the undertones from the previous story....MK merely answered his questions this time around! MK obviously appears to very interested and I'm in no doubt that something will happen but he's still working on the bigger picture, when he's ready then we'll get a bid.

The club statement tells us nothing because as we all knew, there's nothing to tell just yet....I'm sure as soon as some sort of bid is lodged, we'll all be the first to know, thanks to the club. .

FFS, We finally end the will he wont he Bale saga, and now this. Im bored of the media

In which case we will find out when we get put in a transfer embargo for overspending

I think the council will have a major say because in 1997 I think it was both the rugby and oldham tried to get the sport park 2000 built were b and q is today and that got blocked. Do you this council will be receptive to it.

The MEN implies he wants to buy both clubs and build a stadium:

"I want to create a destination in Oldham," said Dr Koukash. "I want to buy the football club and the rugby club and build not only a stadium for both but leisure facilities for the community.”

The Chron implies he would require a new stadium to be built before buying both clubs :

Koukash, meanwhile, has said a move for Oldham Athletic and Oldham RL club would first require a new stadium to be built somewhere in the town.

have you got some solid figures to back up your speculation?

anyway, I'm thinking of buying Tesco, so I've built a new store and given it to them - which seems eminently sensible!

On the subject of rugby and football mixing, it seems rugby league is a better fit than rugby union for pitch impact.

I want the wealthy man to own Oldham Athletic. I am, however, concerned.

If we're to see a negotiation in the press it will almost certainly delay or stop the stand being built. So I take the view that he should be talking to Corney behind closed doors, agreeing a settlement with Blitz and Gazal and then start confirming his intentions, including absolute clarity where this fantastic new community stadium will be located. Anything dragged out beyond a few weeks is, quite simply, bad for Latics.

Owning two rugby league clubs? Sorry, but we're in Robert Maxwell territory here. It makes me very uncomfortable. The guy may well have made his money fairly and ethically. He's more than welcome, in my mind, to lavish it freely on Latics. But he has to understand that a sporting conflict of interests is unacceptable to anybody with a true love of either association football or rugby league.

I agree with rudemedic who suggests a "no comment" response to Mike Keegan's questions would have been appropriate.

My message to Koukash? Cut the crap, behave ethically, put up the cash and take us forwards. If you're not prepared to do all of that then please do one. I'll have to put up with Uncle Simon a little longer.

Is that the same Uncle Simon that saved our football club?

I hate the comment about is this the same Simon who saved our club crap.....they bought the club for 1 reason only, to make money on the land....

When they financial crisis hit 2 of them ran for the hills to leave 1 person behind to protect the money they already invested.

Question....when was the last league club to go bust and not reopen again.....there is always someone willing to take the club on, if it wasnt TTA it would have been someone else. You go into administration and then you start again from scratch

Until Simon finishes the stand or finds a new investment I will never be his biggest fan because we havent progressed in his 10 years at the club.