North Stand Construction Thread

I was a whisker away from being made redundant recently.

I'd have walked away with an £80k pay-off.

Would I have qualified for a free unemployed ticket each game?

Not an expert on unemployment law but you can start claiming JSA from the following working day you are unemployed so yes.

P.S £80k pay off I'd be devastated to still be in a job with that potentially on the table.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P.S £80k pay off I'd be devastated to still be in a job with that potentially on the table.

There's a much bigger prize on offer if I can get through another three years. One that could, potentially, mean never having to work again. Unless I want to.

... to what end?

So that they ultimately they may become earners who will then pay or just as a freebie to make them feel better?

If people think that allowing the unemployed in for free or a very, very reduced payment is fair when a relatively low earner cant afford to go then that is their opinion and they are entitled to it, but I don't.

Turning football admission, a leisure activity, into a tax credit type means tested form of entertainment is ludicrous.

Nobody is saying free, that's ridiculous. You wouldn't be losing anything. Helping people is a terrible thing, I agree.

How will the unemployed learn if we don't kick them when they're down? Lazy :censored:ers.

Nobody is saying free, that's ridiculous. You wouldn't be losing anything. Helping people is a terrible thing, I agree.

How will the unemployed learn if we don't kick them when they're down? Lazy :censored:ers.

I see you decided to become agressive and flippant. Well done.

I have always worked and when I started it was for a pittance (I'm not complaining by the way). A season ticket was nowhere near being an option and I wasnt able to to afford to attend matches at times particularly early on in my working life.

Why and how was I different to an unemployed person during those times?

I have always worked and when I started it was for a pittance (I'm not complaining by the way). A season ticket was nowhere near being an option and I wasnt able to to afford to attend matches at times particularly early on in my working life.

I do get your point. I had to give up football for many years due to childcare and other financial commitments. A skint time despite having a decent full time job.

But, for balance, I do think there's an opportunity for Oldham Athletic to reposition itself as an inclusive community football club while remaining a commercial entity.

The family stand in the RRE tagged on to previous initiatives of £10 / £50 season tickets for kids is a great start, along with pro-active measures to improve match day for disabled supporters.

Pricing for 16 and 17 year olds paying adult admission on the day seems wrong when their work / income options are now limited by legislation. Whereas half price season tickets for 18-21 year olds (as well as 16-17s) is an excellent way to transition from child to adult.

Which brings me to the unemployed. Most periods of unemployment last just a few months. The individual is often affected quite significantly by redundancy and their spending on entertainment will sometimes stop immediately. Latics risk a change to that individual's routine on match day that could become permanent. That is a situation where a short term loss of income for the individual could easily become a permanent loss of income for Latics.

Some sort of scheme to allow jobseekers in free or for a nominal sum makes commercial sense to me. It would sit very comfortably with building an image as a community club too.

I was a whisker away from being made redundant recently.

I'd have walked away with an £80k pay-off.

Would I have qualified for a free unemployed ticket each game?

Would you have claimed it if you were?

I see you decided to become agressive and flippant. Well done.

Flippant yes, aggressive no.

I think you're missing my point. I don't doubt that people on low wages struggle to do things they enjoy which is a general problem with wages being too low. We have an opportunity to help people who are unemployed to attend a football match once in a while, I don't think that's such a terrible thing. We can't help everybody, that is clear but because we can't improve everybody's life does that mean we should strive to improve nobody's in the interest of some warped perception of fairness?

The club should aim to be a part of society, not just a profit making entertainment outlet. As part of our 'quest' for survival we must try to make a profit but a good way to do that would be by going beyond it and becoming an integral part of Oldham (the place, the community). If all we are reduced to is a piece of entertainment, 'League One also rans' is a dying brand.

Got a season ticket, so no. And no if I didn't have a season ticket (despite HMRC grabbing £20k of it).

But a fair question!

I get that. I've been fairly OK for money the last few years and had no problem with lending my ST to people it helped last season when I was away. I wouldn't have lent it to someone who had plenty of cash just to save them a twenty though at the clubs expense

I don't get the fuss, it's not as if concessions are a new thing.

Reductions (not free entry) for the young, unemployed and OAP's are 'de rigeur' for a progressive club like ours. For goodness sake the ground is two thirds empty as it is!

if the unemployed got free tickets how would that sit when they are stood next to you necking a pint and bragging they got in for free.

Depends if the pint is free for them too, you've got to draw the line with the shirkers somewhere.

if the unemployed got free tickets how would that sit when they are stood next to you necking a pint and bragging they got in for free.

Wudnt be arsed. If they werent there we wudnt be making the money they were spending in the ground.

They should maybe wear an armband or sumat tho and have to wait until everybody else has been served.

Wudnt be arsed. If they werent there we wudnt be making the money they were spending in the ground.

They should maybe wear an armband or sumat tho and have to wait until everybody else has been served.

So now an unemployed fan is getting in for a fiver or less and have got a few quid for a pint or two. It's not stacking up!

So now an unemployed fan is getting in for a fiver or less and have got a few quid for a pint or two. It's not stacking up!

Heavens above! Has this actually happened? Take a step back from the straw man...

Looking at this from an economic point of view isn't the problem that all of us face now more down to the fact that, unemployment in this country is comparably low compared to countries such as France and Italy. But the problem is we have seen several years of wages freezes like all the western world economies and therefore £20-£22 for a league 1 football match is just as expensive as it was in 2007 if not more so?

Personally I think we should concentrate offering discounts for families who bring kids to games as this firstly helps out all parents regardless of work status. Secondly we can be a family club and breed through the next generation of fans.

Btw looking forward to taking up my new seat about 6 rows from the back in the RRE side I think we will have a good atmosphere on that side of the ground next season and it will be full for the first few games.

Population of Oldham circa 160,000 unemployed 2554 (April Figures) 1534 males 1020 women.

Circa 3,500 stalwart fans, circa 2,500 season ticket holders. Circa 2 and 1/2% of the population are keen Latics fans. Heaven knows how miniscule the percentage would be among the unemployed.

Optimistic projection for attendances in a successful top 6 season circa 7.000. If the club halved the admission it's highly unlikely they would achieve 7,000 unless accompanied by success.

Club owners are no longer fellow fans, apart from rare exceptions. They are business men with their eye on two balls, at least.

Getting any meaningful increase in fan base for clubs like ours is mindnumbingly difficult. There is no evidence whatsoever that past discounts have had any meaningful effect.

Leave the tinkering alone and concentrate on the product. If it was my investment at my risk that's what I would do.

I have the utmost sympathy for anyone unemployed, I have been made redundant a couple of times, and having to sign on is the most demoralising of acts.

But, I feel those that have it hardest are those that work just above the minimum wage, maybe have a couple of jobs, and get precious little in benefits.

Living like that, for me, is even harder and deserves as much of out sympathy and consideration of discounted tickets.

Archived