North Stand Construction Thread

Think of it as a part of the clubs' fabric, constitution and ethos, and not a one off gimmick.

Indeed yes and in an era where people are priced out of going to United and city because of prices being £40,50,60 clubs like ours need to counter that by thinking abit differently.

However putting my bean counters head on then I don't think we can let in everyone in under 16 free all the time because it's revenue we can't afford to completely throw away.

One thing I'd like to know is what discounts are available for families? Because if your a family of 4 and you buy 4 season tickets and add on travel and sundry costs then it's not too far off the equivalent of a holiday?

Also how many people are unemployed in Oldham just thinking about how much difference this would make to the actual attendance figure.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Free entry into family section, £5 elsewhere in the ground. Very short term thinking to say the revenue would pay for an extra player. Who cares? I care much more about having a few hundred extra fans potentially hooked each season.

Indeed yes and in an era where people are priced out of going to United and city because of prices being £40,50,60 clubs like ours need to counter that by thinking abit differently.

However putting my bean counters head on then I don't think we can let in everyone in under 16 free all the time because it's revenue we can't afford to completely throw away.

One thing I'd like to know is what discounts are available for families? Because if your a family of 4 and you buy 4 season tickets and add on travel and sundry costs then it's not too far off the equivalent of a holiday?

Also how many people are unemployed in Oldham just thinking about how much difference this would make to the actual attendance figure.

Don't think allowing the unemployed in for a fiver would make a noticeable difference to our attendance but for me that's not the point really.

Just to be able to still go to a live game even though finances would not normally allow it would be good enough for me. There's nothing more frustrating than being a supporter and for no fault of your own not being able to go.

I can also clearly see how far back you need to be sat without wet weather protection.

The contractor has explained previously that it's because there is a big gap in the roof, where the plant has to

be installed, and the guttering has not yet been fitted.

I can’t quite understand why the unemployed are being put forward for discounts when there are probably far more hardworking people who are unable to afford today’s admission prices. Where do the discounts stop? If you are only on £65 a week benefit, how can you possibly consider even a fiver on a football match as a priority? They are in the same boat as everyone else who need to cut their cloth according to their means on all manner of things they would like to buy or like to do.

Didn’t we try a fiver adult admission earlier last season? If I remember correctly it produced a circa five and half thousand gate – a loss leader.

Has far as the kids go I have 2 (8 and 15) grandsons in the Main Stand Upper for £50 each. I believe it is a tenner elsewhere with an adult. That’s £2.18 and 45p per game respectively. How close to free is that for a little commitment to the club?

Outside a Season Ticket I don’t really see how the club can commit to a financial deal with absolutely no commitment from the recipient.

We all have different circumstances and reasons we can’t do it this way or that. Or, it should be done this way or that. It isn’t humanly possible for the club to accommodate everyone.

A winning team playing attractive football is really all that’s needed.

P.S. The stand is starting to look beautiful.

when the new stand has the side windshields in place and the roof and guttering finished it will give good protection barring possibly the front rows

that will be the same as most other stands in the country - see them hand out raincoats at the Etihad

when the new stand has the side windshields in place and the roof and guttering finished it will give good protection barring possibly the front rows

that will be the same as most other stands in the country - see them hand out raincoats at the Etihad

Back row get soaked a few times per year easy in there....

I cant quite understand why the unemployed are being put forward for discounts when there are probably far more hardworking people who are unable to afford todays admission prices. Where do the discounts stop? If you are only on £65 a week benefit, how can you possibly consider even a fiver on a football match as a priority? They are in the same boat as everyone else who need to cut their cloth according to their means on all manner of things they would like to buy or like to do.

Didnt we try a fiver adult admission earlier last season? If I remember correctly it produced a circa five and half thousand gate a loss leader.

Has far as the kids go I have 2 (8 and 15) grandsons in the Main Stand Upper for £50 each. I believe it is a tenner elsewhere with an adult. Thats £2.18 and 45p per game respectively. How close to free is that for a little commitment to the club?

Outside a Season Ticket I dont really see how the club can commit to a financial deal with absolutely no commitment from the recipient.

We all have different circumstances and reasons we cant do it this way or that. Or, it should be done this way or that. It isnt humanly possible for the club to accommodate everyone.

A winning team playing attractive football is really all thats needed.

Ahh there we go.

We all have different circumstances and reasons we can’t do it this way or that. Or, it should be done this way or that. It isn’t humanly possible for the club to accommodate everyone.

I agree that people that are unwaged have bigger things to worry about, however could you help identify the barriers stopping a club from trying to be accessible to everyone from all backgrounds? Do you think it's too much effort? I believe every effort should be made to discriminate against none and give football back to the community that it's in. One, ten, a hundred fans on reduced income that pay a concession to watch a football match is better than the alternative of none at all.

I agree that people that are unwaged have bigger things to worry about, however could you help identify the barriers stopping a club from trying to be accessible to everyone from all backgrounds? Do you think it's too much effort? I believe every effort should be made to discriminate against none and give football back to the community that it's in. One, ten, a hundred fans on reduced income that pay a concession to watch a football match is better than the alternative of none at all.

Good luck means testing that.

Sorry, but it is unworkable and actually would ultimately be unfair to those on certain incomes imo. This is a private business, not a government body.

Some things in life you can afford and some you cant. Thats life.

Sorry, but it is unworkable and actually would ultimately be unfair to those on certain incomes imo. This is a private business, not a government body.

#amf

I'm not sure charging an entry fee could be classed as discrimination.

Nevermind.

I can’t quite understand why the unemployed are being put forward for discounts when there are probably far more hardworking people who are unable to afford today’s admission prices. Where do the discounts stop? If you are only on £65 a week benefit, how can you possibly consider even a fiver on a football match as a priority? They are in the same boat as everyone else who need to cut their cloth according to their means on all manner of things they would like to buy or like to do.

Didn’t we try a fiver adult admission earlier last season? If I remember correctly it produced a circa five and half thousand gate – a loss leader.

Has far as the kids go I have 2 (8 and 15) grandsons in the Main Stand Upper for £50 each. I believe it is a tenner elsewhere with an adult. That’s £2.18 and 45p per game respectively. How close to free is that for a little commitment to the club?

Outside a Season Ticket I don’t really see how the club can commit to a financial deal with absolutely no commitment from the recipient.

A winning team playing attractive football is really all that’s needed.

I doubt it was your intention Mike but I don't think that's quite fair on the unemployed. Unemployment isn't exactly a choice that people have willingly made, in the current economy despite all the misleading figures quoted by the Government and parroted by the media it's an inevitability for millions. It's a product of the appalling way that politicians try to frame the national debate about 'hardworking families' and 'shirkers' (ie. the unemployed) that has everybody else thinking and talking in this way. I'm sure many unemployed would take exception at effectively being one or the other, I mean if you're unemployed how can you be hardworking - you're obviously fat and lazy and happy for everybody else to support you.

Although this is how we're conditioned to think it just isn't reality. I don't see any problem with helping these people continue to do some of the things they enjoy. I don't doubt a small minority will take advantage of this who don't really need it but that's always the case with any welfare. I would see it as a great gesture by the club and a demonstration of the values that it holds. The club should position itself as part of the community and this sort of idea would be appreciated by many, not only those who directly benefited but also the wider community. It might not show an immediate tangible return but I imagine those that took advantage of it and saw the odd game would repay that in loyalty down the line when their circumstances improve.

The government fails time and again, why should we always leave it to the government to solve problems they frankly don't care about? Oldham Athletic should try to be all inclusive, we should try to be a valuable part of the community. If a few people get in cheaper than they should do but we help a lot of other people struggling with unemployment to have an enjoyable afternoon watching live football I think it's worth the time and effort.

The people who 'lose out' due to being on low incomes would have lost out anyway, we have a chance to potentially reduce the number who are 'losing out' - if it's possible, why not take it? We won't solve every problem with a single ticketing policy, many things are well beyond the power of OAFC to effect but where we can make a positive difference we should make every effort.

I'm not sure charging an entry fee could be classed as discrimination.

Depends if you subscribe to a positive or a negative liberty. Kowenicki is certainly the negative type...

For what it's worth, Latics are not really a community club - most of the town hardly even recognise the club exists - so it would be decent to start somewhere. There's really no harm in getting more fans into Boundary Park.

The government fails time and again, why should we always leave it to the government to solve problems they frankly don't care about? Oldham Athletic should try to be all inclusive, we should try to be a valuable part of the community. If a few people get in cheaper than they should do but we help a lot of other people struggling with unemployment to have an enjoyable afternoon watching live football I think it's worth the time and effort.

The people who 'lose out' due to being on low incomes would have lost out anyway, we have a chance to potentially reduce the number who are 'losing out' - if it's possible, why not take it? We won't solve every problem with a single ticketing policy, many things are well beyond the power of OAFC to effect but where we can make a positive difference we should make every effort.

... to what end?

So that they ultimately they may become earners who will then pay or just as a freebie to make them feel better?

If people think that allowing the unemployed in for free or a very, very reduced payment is fair when a relatively low earner cant afford to go then that is their opinion and they are entitled to it, but I don't.

Turning football admission, a leisure activity, into a tax credit type means tested form of entertainment is ludicrous.

With around 10,000 empty seats at some games next season tapping into new or lapsed support is something that needs addressing, either that or provide a product that is competitive for a sustained period of time, my fear now is that we have a situation where our chairman budgets based on a crowd of 3500, taking anything else as a bonus with limited risk.

Depends if you subscribe to a positive or a negative liberty. Kowenicki is certainly the negative

Ooh, alluding to Isaiah Berlin but criticising negative liberty. Cheeky.

I'm not a fan of the benefits system and where it's led us to, but I've no problem with helping people (and maybe therefore their kids) get to the game while they hopefully sort something out.

And the ground IS looking nice.

With around 10,000 empty seats at some games next season tapping into new or lapsed support is something that needs addressing, either that or provide a product that is competitive for a sustained period of time, my fear now is that we have a situation where our chairman budgets based on a crowd of 3500, taking anything else as a bonus with limited risk.

They ain't bovvered about the empty seats, season ticket sales have probably exceeded expectations and away followings will likely increase.

Archived