North Stand Construction Thread

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going with the radical prediction that:

1) The turnstiles, seats, toilets and refreshments will all be operational by the first league game.

2) Everything else will fall into place between now and the start of December.

3) People will moan regardless.

I agree with Mr 4U. A lot of the commercial stuff won't necessarily be needed on day 1 of the football season and wouldn't be great while there's still work going on. I'll be very surprised if there aren't fans in there fairly soon

I have been told via a reliable source (construction contacts rather than the club itself) that the main headache now is the complexity surrounding the routing and physical installation of a pretty major utility......Electricity.

Something to do with the location of the sub station which is close to the Chaddy and those new builds, and the difficulty and time it will take to complete this work.

It's apparently a logistical nightmare as the circumstances are unique to the chosen power provider / installer; they have to seek permissions from several authorities before the work can even commence.

I'm no expert, but I feel I was certainly in conversation with one.

I have been told via a reliable source (construction contacts rather than the club itself) that the main headache now is the complexity surrounding the routing and physical installation of a pretty major utility......Electricity.

Something to do with the location of the sub station which is close to the Chaddy and those new builds, and the difficulty and time it will take to complete this work.

It's apparently a logistical nightmare as the circumstances are unique to the chosen power provider / installer; they have to seek permissions from several authorities before the work can even commence.

Grand.

I agree with Mr 4U. A lot of the commercial stuff won't necessarily be needed on day 1 of the football season and wouldn't be great while there's still work going on. I'll be very surprised if there aren't fans in there fairly soon

The boxes and associated back-of-house facilities are important for Day 1 as are big earners for club and I can't see these being ready going off the recent photographs and speed of progress to date.

The boxes and associated back-of-house facilities are important for Day 1 as are big earners for club and I can't see these being ready going off the recent photographs and speed of progress to date.

It'll take no more than a week to install the seats. I am not aware of any pictures showing internal progress relating to fans using the ground on match day (the upstairs bar excepted).

A pie warmer, the electrical issues above aside, is easy enough to plug in, along with TV's etc.

It'll take no more than a week to install the seats. I am not aware of any pictures showing internal progress relating to fans using the ground on match day (the upstairs bar excepted).

A pie warmer, the electrical issues above aside, is easy enough to plug in, along with TV's etc.

The last pictures I saw of internals showed nothing more than what looked like rainwater pipe work; with partitioning yet to commence.

If this is still case then boxes will not be ready for first game.

Like I said above seating plus facilities seems doable with a concerted effort but boxes plus facilities doesn't.

Even seating plus facilities is reliant on water and power and it shouldn't be underestimated how much work is involved with this - the seats are the easy bit.

Have you seen how quickly commercial building are erected and then second and third fits are completed?

The internal work could be completed with 6-8 weeks solid. 7 weeks until season starts but just under 8 for first home game. Terrace seats will be in and wouldn't surprise if boxes are ready to accommodate with catering shipped in behind scenes.

Would you not have thought this would have been thought of and completed months ago?

We must have more construction experts per head amongst our support than any other football club.

I'm certainly no construction expert, but I do have a little common sense!!

If you want something to be finished by a certain date, you place orders to fit in with that date - maybe you do things differently..

Correct the imminent fit-out phase is generally the most time consuming due to interdependencies between the various subcontractors (M&E, ceilings and partitions, flooring, decoration etc).

For fit-out you need to be substantially watertight and from the progress photographs I've seen recently this isn't yet the case.

Following fit-out you have the testing and commissioning phase, and then handover phase including obtaining necessary approvals from Building Control, Fire Officer etc.

Going off progress speed to date then even the club-occupied areas of the stand are months away from being complete.

Hopefully club and contractor came to this conclusion weeks ago and have reprogrammed into phases so areas can be handed over / occupied separately on beneficial occupation basis.

There will be many on here who, like myself, work in construction.

My money was on you working in the jargon industry.

I'm certainly no construction expert, but I do have a little common sense!!

If you want something to be finished by a certain date, you place orders to fit in with that date - maybe you do things differently..

Also, maybe, we have placed those orders.

How did they manage for electricity in the Lookers stand and the prefabricated boxes?

Archived