North Stand Construction Thread

I get the impression you have been waiting to use such a statement since you heard it and thought it sounded good. However, you dont properly inderstand its meaning.

Your quite right, inderstanding is something I've not quite grasped yet!

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main stand is a :censored:hole, not enough legroom and two, maybe three toilets, in 2015 that is not fit for purpose - A phrase I've used about 8 times this week about stuff at work, something I'm sadly all too familiar with and can spot it a mile off.

The new stand is a modern fabricated building, the days of bricks and mortar are long gone but I'm happy with the stand and can't wait to take up my seat there when it is finished, whenever that is. Since being kicked out of the Lookers to the RRE I've been shifted numerous times, I can handle another few weeks of it if it does go into the season. I'm not going to lose any sleep over not sitting in my seat for the first few games. Wrong to compare but some people got shot on a beach yesterday, that's serious, sitting in a different plastic seat for a few games is trivial.

We released a new product recently at work, it was late, had a couple of bugs and the implementation could have been smoother but, these things happen, when specs change to meet different requirements.

Criticising the old stand isnt moaning, its being realistic. Its ugly from all angles. Its not practical or uncomfortable. Floor it asap imo.

The brick facade is the nicest part of Boundary Park, and I much prefer that to the fabricated look of the new stand.

As is the two-tiered feature - miles better than a 12 row identistand.

The brick facade is the nicest part of Boundary Park, and I much prefer that to the fabricated look of the new stand.

As is the two-tiered feature - miles better than a 12 row identistand.

I think its hideous. Wires and plumbing all over the place inside and out. A sign that looked :censored: even at the time it was installed, a horrible tacked on glass entrance and rusting fire escape type entrance/exit for tier 2.

Its a mess. It needs to go.

Rose tinted spectacles I'm afraid.

The Main Stand is a dump and has been for many years.

On the odd occasion I do venture down Sheepfoot Lane, however, it's still the stand I choose to sit in; especially now we've ceded the home end.

I think its hideous. Wires and plumbing all over the place inside and out. A sign that looked :censored: even at the time it was installed, a horrible tacked on glass entrance and rusting fire escape type entrance/exit for tier 2.

Its a mess. It needs to go.

Rose tinted spectacles I'm afraid.

Yeah, they are rose-tinted spectacles.

What's wrong with that?

It's your club; the history of Oldham Athletic.

Why you would want to replace that with something that every other 3000-6000 attended club has I cannot fathom. I really can't. Not like these faults you mention can't be updated and renovated.

Yeah, they are rose-tinted spectacles.

What's wrong with that?

It's your club; the history of Oldham Athletic.

Why you would want to replace that with something that every other 3000-6000 attended club has I cannot fathom. I really can't. Not like these faults you mention can't be updated and renovated.

How.

If they want to rebuild a staad with a brick facade thats fine. Im not against something with a little more character, I'd welcome it and they will probably be asked to given the houses opposite. But the stand as it is cannot be modernised. I'd be pretty sure of that. It would be cheaper to start again.

The new stand is a very good effort though, I can't understad any criticism of it, especially when you see the exterior view of some other recent stands up and down the country. The Dale stand we sit in, whilst having a decent view, has one of the ugliest exteriors and most crampt interiors I have experienced. Awful.

Surely people don't want to demolish the Main Stand? It needs renovating, yes, but for me it completes BP; it's a symbol of our club's proud history. Do we really want an ugly, plastic ground akin to Shrewsbury/Colchester/Chesterfield/Doncaster etc...

I thought it looked magnificent during Liverpool & Everton matches a couple of years ago. Really gave the feel of being part of a 'proper' football ground. I'd be part of any crowd that decides to lie down in front of the bulldozers.

The old lookers stand would have looked great for those games should that really stop us building the new north stand?

It's progress if you want to lie down infront of the bulldozers when they choose to knock it down people like me will be pointing and laughing as they run you over it's not like it's a unesco world heritage site is it.

Renovating can actually cost more than rebuilding especially if dreaded asbestos of past is disturbed. Agree part of the character but many a better building gone for less. The new stand is a credit to club and its designers, far better than the ones you quote.

For those same reasons knocking down the stand could be more expensive. As you say: disturbing the asbestos is a nightmare.

My relatives directors / builders back then and use of Asbestos just the done thing when replacing heating/insulation. Even water pipes in some locations...Aware Thornley Lane just had 300m main replaced from an asbestos pipe. Only found after burst. I had a 330 page report on old Counthil School that contractors never even looked at out of choice even when in front of them...silly really. The cheapest solution was clear site by lots and lots of money when to most it was a decent building with some character. Certainly was in better repair than stand. Dont think stand is any different on costs unless been cleared in past. Safe whilst undisturbed but a £££ bomb potentially. Then again might be none wonder when last checked? The old Lookers built 1974 ish?

Good info

Live quote near thornley lane and didn't realise that, you'd think there'd be plenty more like that

The old lookers was built after winning the ford sporting league at the end of the 70-71 season, so probably built and finished for sometime in 1972?

Knock it down and modernise. We have to move on and improve the ground. Just because the stand is gone it doesnt mean the history is gone. You will always have the history but thats the funny thing about history, it is history. The past. What has been. We have to think of the future and improve facilities for the fans, players and staff. I understand that people like it and want to keep it so the ground doesnt look like flat pack ikea stadium but if the world had that attitude then we would still be in caves trying to work out why we were cold. Time to move on and improve the place imo

Archived