Team v Colchester

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He ended the season very well putting in a constant shift while isolated for long spells up front on his own.He has also done well in pre season.

He gets frustated easily which can affect his game but as you say he is young and he will improve.

Over reaction to a performance that may not have been great but as a player he has improved since arriving at the club and was linked with moves to bigger clubs for a good fee.at the moment he ONLY needs to think about how to play better next game.

That's very fair and nicely put. I'll shut up :)

Overall I was pretty satisfied with that. Glad we as fans got some goals for the long journey and there are some promising signs.

1st half for the most part we were neither here nor there but improved as the half went on. The 4-1-4-1 didn't work for the most part imo, but Forte really did benefit from it. His first was great. Yes he got a bit lucky as the pass came back to him and the defender made a mistake, but it was great speed, persistance and composure when finishing. The 2nd was great build up play by JCH and Wilson, Forte's movement in the box and finish were very good. Colchester had a few chances and Ibehre missed 2 sitters so I thought we were a tad lucky to have the lead.

2nd half Kusunga's error for the goal was very poor. No need for him to mess about with the ball where he was. Ibehre wrecked havoc after that and the 4-1-4-1 was getting breached way too easily, I wanted LJ to make the changes earlier than he did but he got it spot on going 5-3-2 with B Wilson and Mills as wing backs. Elokobi made the defence more solid and Gros offered much needed support through the middle for JCH. Philliskirk looked lively when he came on for Winchester too. Draw was a fair result in the end.

Rachubka was OK, did the simple things well and couldn't do much about the goals. B Wilson, J Wilson and Mills were solid if unspectacular, Kusunga must do better if he wants that CB space ahead of Lockwood or Elokobi. Kelly was fairly tidy on the ball but I was surprised how small he was. Surely Dieng will take that role when games become more physical in the winter. I want Jones to epitomise our team: versatile, energetic and disciplined. If he has a bit of quality as well then he'll be a great signing. Winchester looked very good on the ball albeit a little lightweight, certainly worth his place though. Forte looked great in the 1st half but was doubled up on throughout the 2nd half. Dayton, like Kusunga, must do better. JCH is an interesting one. If he develops well this season I think he could storm the league next season, but there are still areas that he comes up short in and being up front on his own really doesn't help. I fear that Big Willy Gros will have to score a goal or 2 to earn a longer contract, but he could be the perfect foil for JCH.

Disappointing not to have won but a draw was a fair result. I get the feeling that this season is going to be much more of a slow burner than last season but the minimum level of performance expectation for each player has got higher. The perfect example is with Kusunga and Dayton. They are two players who have to improve this year to warrant their place in the squad and it showed as they were way off the pace of the rest of the team. Last year those players could get away with the odd performance like that, this year there's no place to hide.

Other points, I was really impressed with the stadium itself but whoever decided to put it so far away from anything but the road is an idiot.

The fans near me take a bow! The match started with Colchester launching the ball out of play from the kick off, immediately they shouted "Sort it out Johnson!" "Same old rubbish!" "Feckin' boo!". They finished the match shouting an Essex version of "'andbawl!" very entertaining.

Athleticos were OK, made a decent amount of noise but if they were closer to the centre of the stand it would've made more of an impact and possibly got more fans involved. Although I accept they were hamstrung by the stewards putting all the early arrivers in the far corner.

Glad I ticked that ground off as it'll be unlikely that I'll get that far across the country again.

5-3-2 with wing backs could work very well against Boro and Orient.

Rachubka

B Wilson

Dieng

J Wilson

Elokobi

Mills

Jones

Kelly

Winchester

JCH

Forte

If you would like to hear the discussions, comments and commentary of the goals recorded off LP send me a PM,

Surprising how many times Kasunga had the ball during the 20odd pass build up to the 2nd.

The mp3 is 3min 54sec and 3.7Mb.

Edited by laticsrblue

5-3-2 with wing backs could work very well against Boro and Orient.

Rachubka

B Wilson

Dieng

J Wilson

Elokobi

Mills

Jones

Kelly

Winchester

JCH

Forte

definitely think this is the team for us, although id have Connor Brown at Right Wing Back

We look :censored: with one up front, really :censored:. Last season we had a good defence to be able to nick a goal or a draw or whatever but on today's showing the defence ain't up to that. JCH is not clever enough to play a lone striker added to the fact he gets no support. Plenty of times Dayton, Forte, Wilson, Mills or whoever got in good positions to cross but nobody was in the box so the had to hold it up or go backwards.

We need to play two up front.

We look :censored: with one up front, really :censored:. Last season we had a good defence to be able to nick a goal or a draw or whatever but on today's showing the defence ain't up to that. JCH is not clever enough to play a lone striker added to the fact he gets no support. Plenty of times Dayton, Forte, Wilson, Mills or whoever got in good positions to cross but nobody was in the box so the had to hold it up or go backwards.

We need to play two up front.

2nd that bud,we had the crack with LJ about this on the services on the way home from the match,top fella,and him and tommy wright was well chuffed at the following we had,fair result but we should have upped our game in the 2nd half,jch was a bit poor up front on own!!

If we protect our defence, I.e. the midfield nip attacks in the bud before they develop, it will take a lot more pressure off the back four, I was suprised Dieng didn't start as he seemed to be good at that. Having said all that the changes we have made to the back four since last year, some enforced due to Lockwoods injury and some not, caused us all sorts of problems with us giving away sloppy posession. Both goals were shambolic defending and self inflicted. JCH was ploughing a loan furrow up front and holding the ball up is clearly something he needs to work on , I'm not 100% convinced the midfield were quick enough to support in any case? Couple of Colchester fans before the game said that we have bought their best defender in Wilson and that their two full backs are frankly P Poor, whilst Forte had a good game take nothing away from him they did make him look like Messi at times. I still think there has to be room in the budget for another striker and that's where we need to strengthen. Putting all the pressure on JCH could seriously back fire you have to remember his age and tempriment, if his frustration boils over we could lose him anyway regardless of the debate of whether he's up to it or not. We also need to get over these periods at the beginning and end of halves where quite frankly we seem to be waiting for something to happen as opposed to taking the game by the scruff of the neck!changes for Tuesday, Philly for Dayton in a support role, Dieng for Ksunga to freshen it up. Will leave the formation to the Manager!

Edited by chickenbaltipie

JCH won loads of flick-ons yesterday but no-one running onto them - unfairly criticised. All the talk of 3-5-2, 5-3-2, 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1, 4-5-1 is completely out of hand. For a lot of yesterday and particularly in the second half I certainly couldn't work out which if any of those we were playing Lets be generous and call it fluid but an alternative title could be "random".

Not dull though!

A cup game gives the opportunity to use the squad. If Kusunga plays it can only be as a punishment. Hard to imagine Dieng and Elokobi not getting a game.

Edited by Dave_Og

JCH won loads of flick-ons yesterday but no-one running onto them - unfairly criticised.

Some of those flick ons were completely brainless when he could have cushioned headers back to better positioned players. Some of his first half interchanges with Forte were excellent though.

All the talk of 3-5-2, 5-3-2, 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1, 4-5-1 is completely out of hand. For a lot of yesterday and particularly in the second half I certainly couldn't work out which if any of those we were playing Lets be generous and call it fluid but an alternative title could be "random".

Our issue was that Jones and Kelly didn't break up play effectively, if anything sitting too deeply.

Not dull though!

It was a good game to start the season with. We showed some new qualities balanced off against longstanding bad habits.

Some of those flick ons were completely brainless when he could have cushioned headers back to better positioned players. Some of his first half interchanges with Forte were excellent though.

Our issue was that Jones and Kelly didn't break up play effectively, if anything sitting too deeply.

It was a good game to start the season with. We showed some new qualities balanced off against longstanding bad habits.

Oh no, not back to the two holding midfielders again, I thought we had kicked that idea into touch?

Away followings this week, stolen off Twitter:

Coventry at Bradford: (1,406)

Walsall at Port Vale: (1,145)

Gillingham at MK Dons: (1,048)

Peterborough at Rochdale: (900)

Crewe at Fleetwood: (889)

Chesterfield at Leyton Orient: (841)

Notts County at Preston: (764)

Bristol City at Sheffield United: (655)

Oldham at Colchester: (632)

Scunthorpe at Swindon: (454)

Doncaster at Yeovil: (400)

Crawley at Barnsley: (215)

Away followings this week, stolen off Twitter:

Coventry at Bradford: (1,406)

Walsall at Port Vale: (1,145)

Gillingham at MK Dons: (1,048)

Peterborough at Rochdale: (900)

Crewe at Fleetwood: (889)

Chesterfield at Leyton Orient: (841)

Notts County at Preston: (764)

Bristol City at Sheffield United: (655)

Oldham at Colchester: (632)

Scunthorpe at Swindon: (454)

Doncaster at Yeovil: (400)

Crawley at Barnsley: (215)

Good Spireite following, would say that is the most impressive

I came up with a nifty formula that provides an analysis of the away numbers taking into account the following factors:

• Number of away fans
  • Distance in miles of the round trip
  • Average Home attendance

and then adds a percentage factor varying from .9 to 1.2 that allows for the promoted/relegated teams plus the impact of live television - with an outlier factor of 0.25 for Coventry City.

I got the following top three:

1. Oldham

2. Peterborough

3. Scunthorpe

So all in all a pretty impressive away following :smoking:

Yes I was bored...

Edited by TheBigDog

I came up with a nifty formula that provides an analysis of the away numbers taking into account the following factors:

• Number of away fans
  • Distance in miles of the round trip
  • Average Home attendance

and then adds a percentage factor varying from .9 to 1.2 that allows for the promoted/relegated teams plus the impact of live television - with an outlier factor of 0.25 for Coventry City.

I got the following top three:

1. Oldham

2. Peterborough

3. Scunthorpe

So all in all a pretty impressive away following :smoking:

Yes I was bored...

You have not took into account there were only 600 posh at Dale, as a previous poster has commented.