Johnson to Barnsley

if he goes then so be it - he has done a very good job for us overall, but if he doesn't want to see his own hard work through until at least the end of the season and wants to go now, then let him.

I know it's a bit of a broken record, but i'd love to see Dowie in until May, i think he would do wonders with these players. He is known to be a good coach and i think he'd relish the chance to try and push us into the top 6.

Would put him in the shop window if he truly does still want to manage

He'd give the place a lift with his spirit and will to win if nothing else.

What will be will be, anyway

Edited by shefflatic

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even as a huge Johnson fan, I am increasingly pissed off with the whole situation.

Repeated issuing of 'no comment' from both board and manager alike just leads to unsettled players who will be questioning the decision making of the club and manager alike.

If he wants to leave (which is his right), then go - and do it quickly. We can and will move on with difficulty if the situation demands it.

All that is happening at the moment is unsettling in the extreme to fans and players.

They, and we, deserve better.

Agree with every part.

Except for the bit about being a fan of huge Johnsons.

I hate my immature mind.

If LJ does abandon ship now then I don't think he should go with much thanks from us.....Corney gave him a massive break and backed him despite fan opposition.

He's done a pretty decent job but not much better than Dickov really (the league is far worse this season) and certainly not better than Shez.

We are theoretically in with a play off shot and to even be thinking about leaving now is ridiculous....if he believes in himself then he should surely see this season through and if he keeps us anywhere near the playoffs his stock will be high and there will be plenty of "better" jobs out there for him

What I find really frustrating is this no comment nonesense........show some balls and tell the truth.....presumably the players know what's going on and perhaps that explains their pathetic efforts last Saturday (and LJ's lousy tactics)

If LJ does abandon ship now then I don't think he should go with much thanks from us.....Corney gave him a massive break and backed him despite fan opposition.

He's done a pretty decent job but not much better than Dickov really (the league is far worse this season) and certainly not better than Shez.

We are theoretically in with a play off shot and to even be thinking about leaving now is ridiculous....if he believes in himself then he should surely see this season through and if he keeps us anywhere near the playoffs his stock will be high and there will be plenty of "better" jobs out there for him

What I find really frustrating is this no comment nonesense........show some balls and tell the truth.....presumably the players know what's going on and perhaps that explains their pathetic efforts last Saturday (and LJ's lousy tactics)

If the money's right, he might not have much of a choice.

I'm prepared to be wrong, but surely LJ wouldn't make such a massive cock up as going to the Barnsley game whilst he was still our gaffer, with the intention of moving clubs. He's been very, very good with the media and his public image from the second he got here, and the general consensus (right or wrong) is that he came out of the Ched debacle looking quite good.

Surely it's just a scouting mission

What a little weasel he really is.

40 years ahead of him in management and he can't even see out a quarter of a season.

Probably too far, but the fact he had instilled all of this hope then quit us during such a critical time is a horrible thing to do. No loyalty whatsoever.

Edited by NewBlue

it is an intriguing choice for Johnson. but I am less certain that it is the necessarily the prospect of better money that will be the primary influence on his decision.

presumably his long term ambition as a young manager is to get a chance to manage in the top flight but english football is notoriously unforgiving, one poor outcome, not even one poor season, and the opportunities to keep progressing onwards and upwards start to dry up. if he has a failure or two then he risks ending up as a lower league journey man like Sheridan, Peter Taylor, Phil Brown etc appear to be now and it looks like his father has now become. the same fate now appears likely to have befallen Dickov after his relegation at Doncaster last season, even if he still currently in the job. the only way I can see Dickov avoiding that fate is if he gets Doncaster into the play-offs this season, which is possible if unlikely.

for me the question now has to be for LJ does it make the likelihood of harming or improving his reputation if he was now to leave Latics for Barnsley? I would say at the moment the risk currently outweighs the potential benefits because currently relegation looks far more likely for Barnsley than Latics, and that is the event that would do johnson's reputation severe harm, but to be fair the most likely outcome is for both clubs to stay in the third tier for next season and if that happens then let us be honest it is Barnsley where the prospect of a promotion push in 2015-16 looks the better bet as things currently stand, given the financial situation and prospects at both clubs, unless their is something dodgy happening at Barnsley. but if he does go to Barnsley then they will be far less forgiving if he does not deliver a successful start to the new season ... and a sacking would again be just what Johnson does not want at this stage in his career.

so for me that is the judgement call that Johnson faces at the moment and I think it is a very tough call. one final point in Barnsley's favour is that if they if do make Johnson a firm offer and he turns it down then it may give the impression that he lacks ambition, which can also damage his reputation and prospects ...

What a little weasel he really is.

40 years ahead of him in management and he can't even see out a quarter of a season.

Hope to see him on the scrapheap in a years time after Barnsley have got rid.

All depends how it has come about. If he has pushed for the move I'd be dissapointed in him.

But if Corney has agreed compensation and told him to go and have a chat with them, I don't blame him for going, as it really demonstrates a lack of belief in him. This seemed to be what he was hinting at last week in his interview.