Johnson to Barnsley

Oh F*** OFF all this 'he isn't nothing special' blah blah bollucks! He is a young, hungry, enthusiastic, growing manager who many were question could be a long term thing. I am in the Johnson camp 10 fold, and in a year, if not two, will see us successful.

If he moves, I will be upset and disappointed as will a lot. I also think given his young age, many many fans feel a compassionate link with him to do well, unlike other managers over the last decade.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is an intriguing choice for Johnson. but I am less certain that it is the necessarily the prospect of better money that will be the primary influence on his decision.

presumably his long term ambition as a young manager is to get a chance to manage in the top flight but english football is notoriously unforgiving, one poor outcome, not even one poor season, and the opportunities to keep progressing onwards and upwards start to dry up. if he has a failure or two then he risks ending up as a lower league journey man like Sheridan, Peter Taylor, Phil Brown etc appear to be now and it looks like his father has now become. the same fate now appears likely to have befallen Dickov after his relegation at Doncaster last season, even if he still currently in the job. the only way I can see Dickov avoiding that fate is if he gets Doncaster into the play-offs this season, which is possible if unlikely.

for me the question now has to be for LJ does it make the likelihood of harming or improving his reputation if he was now to leave Latics for Barnsley? I would say at the moment the risk currently outweighs the potential benefits because currently relegation looks far more likely for Barnsley than Latics, and that is the event that would do johnson's reputation severe harm, but to be fair the most likely outcome is for both clubs to stay in the third tier for next season and if that happens then let us be honest it is Barnsley where the prospect of a promotion push in 2015-16 looks the better bet as things currently stand, given the financial situation and prospects at both clubs, unless their is something dodgy happening at Barnsley. but if he does go to Barnsley then they will be far less forgiving if he does not deliver a successful start to the new season ... and a sacking would again be just what Johnson does not want at this stage in his career.

so for me that is the judgement call that Johnson faces at the moment and I think it is a very tough call. one final point in Barnsley's favour is that if they if do make Johnson a firm offer and he turns it down then it may give the impression that he lacks ambition, which can also damage his reputation and prospects ...

To turn down the offer he might simply give people the impression that he is fulfilling his contract in an honourable manner or am I expecting too much?

Any talk of him not being a loss is reactionary nonsense.

There's so much to be said about stability. We have steadily improved. If you'd given us ninth on 24 February at the start of the season most on here would have snapped your hand off.

It'll be back to square one with an unproven manager, hoping we get lucky.

It seems the only thing we can keep hold of these days is Barry Bloody Owen !! Any decent players head for the exit door to fund the new stand and now it looks like LJ is off.

Another example of why the lost fans cannot be tempted back because it just always seems to be a one step forward and two steps back situation.

Edited by drphibes

There's so much to be said about stability. We have steadily improved. If you'd given us ninth on 24 February at the start of the season most on here would have snapped your hand off.

To add a bit of perspective we are 3 points off 17th its hardly mind blowing progress.

True but for stability you need a bit of commitment and loyalty....both of which are in short supply in football these days

It seems the only thing we can keep hold of these days is Barry Bloody Owen !! Any decent players head for the exit door to fund the new stand and now it looks like LJ is off.

Another example of why the lost fans cannot be tempted back because it just always seems to be a one step forward and two steps back situation.

Not really we kept all our best assets in January

To turn down the offer he might simply give people the impression that he is fulfilling his contract in an honourable manner or am I expecting too much?

yes it would give that impression to us simple folk but would it create a positive impression on that odd collection of human beings that are in the position to appoint him as manager at even a second tier club, let alone the top flight? I expect it is more likely to scare them away ...

If LJ goes it shows he clearly has written off our chances of getting into the play offs with this squad as otherwise I am sure he would have seen the season out.

Suggests to me the losses to bottom table clubs made LJ realise he doesn't always have all the answers despite his thorough analysis and preperation..

Edited by Blue_Guru

just looked on the Chron website. does anyone else think that Owen's comments in today's paper might just have proven to have been the final straw for Johnson?

As opposed to the dogs abuse spouted by some at the end of the orient match?. LJ's demeanour during the post match interview on LW is telling. Sure he'd have been downbeat at the result but for me there was real hurt in his comments regarding the fans. Yet ever the PR man he is, still said good things about the fans.......but the majority deserved those words.

There's no way he left because of a little bit of abuse for a handful of fans at a match. He was absolutely hounded at Bristol for being the manager's son for years, and given the reaction by Barnsley fans, he can expect lots of reactionary abuse to come if he doesn't succeed fast. The decision to leave clearly explains his pathetic post-match interview as well at Orient - he sounded half-hearted and uncommitted in that.

The real fact that is difficult to accept is that the club are nothing but a shop window for every member of playing and coaching staff that walks through the door. Anybody that was even remotely arsed about anything other than their own prospects would've seen out the season, especially given the potential length of career possible in football management and the context of the club's mini-revival after an extended plight at the bottom of the league.

You'd think it's courtesy to reward the loyalty and faith shown by the club to at least end the season with them, but it's football and as is always said, fans should expect this sort of jump-ship.

(If it happens!)

If LJ goes it shows he clearly has written off our chances of getting into the play offs with this squad as otherwise I am sure he would have seen the season out.

Suggests to me the losses to bottom table clubs made LJ realise he doesn't always have all the answers despite his thorough analysis and preperation..

these questions will be tougher at Barnsley because they are likely to be less forgiving if he continues to struggle to find the answer whilst he continues to learn the trade. that for me is what has changed in the sport, Frizzell and Royle both had the opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them, provided they avoided relegation in their early seasons. many of the comments here suggest that Johnson second full season in charge will have been a failure if he fails to get the club into the play-offs, which seems ridiculous to me. but now the suggestion is that he is unlikely to see this second season out so maybe it is my expectations that are misguided.

There's no way he left because of a little bit of abuse for a handful of fans at a match. He was absolutely hounded at Bristol for being the manager's son for years, and given the reaction by Barnsley fans, he can expect lots of reactionary abuse to come if he doesn't succeed fast. The decision to leave clearly explains his pathetic post-match interview as well at Orient - he sounded half-hearted and uncommitted in that.

The real fact that is difficult to accept is that the club are nothing but a shop window for every member of playing and coaching staff that walks through the door. Anybody that was even remotely arsed about anything other than their own prospects would've seen out the season, especially given the potential length of career possible in football management and the context of the club's mini-revival after an extended plight at the bottom of the league.

You'd think it's courtesy to reward the loyalty and faith shown by the club to at least end the season with them, but it's football and as is always said, fans should expect this sort of jump-ship.

(If it happens!)

I am not suggesting the abuse will be the primary reason, but more likely to influence than BO that's been suggested. BO actually went about signing a player LJ wanted!! and took the stick away

I am not suggesting the abuse will be the primary reason, but more likely to influence than BO that's been suggested. BO actually went about signing a player LJ wanted!! and took the stick away

my comment about BO being a factor wasn't meant to be taken seriously, if only I could think that was true about BO's comments to the Chron!

@matthewmurray87 Lee Johnson's assistant Tommy Wright was with him tonight. Openly telling people talks with Barnsley ongoing.

a scunny fan asked Johnson why he was there...

@ScottKilner yeah, playing barnsley soon. Thought he would catch a game while he could