New Manager thread.

I'm glad we haven't rushed into an appointment. I'd also hope we didn't make a decision on this based on one interview a good background check and a second interview should be done.

If Deano and locky are in charge then I suggest that as a short term fix we draft in Tony Philliskirk into the first team fold just to help them out for a short period of time.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That goes without saying, but other clubs seem to fill their vacancies a bit quicker then we do. If we are led to believe that LJ was touting himself around for a while, surely SC should have been looking at a plan B, especially given the position we where in in the league.

My view for what it is worth:

- we shouldn't rush into an appointment but giving a manager at least 3-4 fixtures of this season would be advantageous to assess the team directly. This will allow him to recruit better in summer.

- this season and hopes of playoffs are out of the window for me and the board

- I trust SC to make the best judgement call on who will give us the best chance of succeeding next year at an affordable cost. Talbot and Penney apart he has chosen quite well.

This smacks of the eggs in one basket strategy. The hope is that the New Stand will generate more income and lead to a better team. Does that mean there is no urgency to appoint a new manager?

Latics are still only four points off 6th with a game in hand after a bad run which started in December probably about the time the little :censored: decided to leave but we are still in touch. The players know that Dean won't be in charge of their futures and he has in any case been dropped in at the deep end. Performance will suffer, we will lose more games but will scrape the points needed to avoid relegation.

We now know that Dean will be in charge for Barnsley and MK Dons. Is it fair to those of us who have paid to see this product? We have been saved by SC but as he says someone else would have done it. SC does run a tight ship and our future is secure but that future is more of the same. Safety without ambition.

If the only ambition is survival, to stay in this league that is all we will ever do. So there is no hurry because there is no hunger. So why should I buy a season ticket as we head towards another bottom table safe finish. We were allowed to dream but it was all an illusion!

Edited by Hands on

Think it is essential to get a manger in now as apposed to the summer, we can forget the play offs

If a new manager is appointed now, he will be able access the strengths & weaknesses of the squad, and formulate a plan for summer going forward.

If we appoint a new manager in the summer he will truly get a true reflection of the changes he wants to make to the squad until eight to twelve games into the new season.

So in my opinion we need to appoint now, to enable us to have the best possible start to the new season, allowing him to ship in and out as he feels necessary.

I agree

Edited by byrnes boots

I'd like us to show some ambition in a manager signing and I don't mind if that takes a little while.

What I'm most pissed off about is being allowed to hope, nay to dream this year. Heartbreaking bastards.

This is why some lose faith in what goes on a snippet from the Chron... "Athletic chairman Simon Corney stressed there is no animosity between the club and Johnson over his exit - a move that should eventually fetch the club a six-figure fee" That eventual should be now to benefit club not ifs buts and maybe after the Richards farce.

Really? There's negotiating and there's being unrealistic. The real world isn't always about "I want this and I won't accept anything else"

Better to have almost more than 12 months of Johnsons salary upfront as compensation with the likelihood of more to come , than just the £75000

We don't know the clauses in the contract that LJ had about compensation etc.

Maybe we got a decent deal, maybe no more or less than we could expect , or maybe , as you seem to suggest, millionaire businessman Simon Corney just rolled over.

This is why some lose faith in what goes on a snippet from the Chron... "Athletic chairman Simon Corney stressed there is no animosity between the club and Johnson over his exit - a move that should eventually fetch the club a six-figure fee" That eventual should be now to benefit club not ifs buts and maybe after the Richards farce.

Wouldn't call the Richards thing a farce.. rather than take a little amount, ie, tens of thousands for a 13 year old, we took the sell on fee which could have made us £4-5mil. Just unfortunate that injuries/lack of desire, whatever you want to call it, took control of Micah.

Regarding the compensation for LJ, has anyone considered this? Is there the possibility that LJ had to have his contract paid up by Latics and the compo from Barnsley didn't cover much more than that, leaving us with less than expected? Just a thought with no substance whatsoever.

Regarding the compensation for LJ, has anyone considered this? Is there the possibility that LJ had to have his contract paid up by Latics and the compo from Barnsley didn't cover much more than that, leaving us with less than expected? Just a thought with no substance whatsoever.

Extraordinarily unlikely.

Seen a few people mention Tony Carss recently, from what I've heard supposedly a very highly regarded coach up at 'uddersfield!

Wouldn't be too disheartened if he was to be appointed, but feel the current consensus is a call for a more experienced manager after Johnson.

I think that was the call to get us over the line this year. Whilst we are certainly not out of the race yet, we are no where near the position we were in.

So it may be back to the tried and trusted Rookie manager with lots of coaching badges and spent a childhood in skips listening to his dad doing the team talk.

Edited by singe

My immediate thought was maybe higher compo would be received if Barnsley got promoted!

Is there anyone sits near to the Directors box at matches who could keep an eye on Saturday for anyone who jumps up to celebrate any Barnsley goals?

That goes without saying, but other clubs seem to fill their vacancies a bit quicker then we do. If we are led to believe that LJ was touting himself around for a while, surely SC should have been looking at a plan B, especially given the position we where in in the league.

Who lead you to believe LJ was touting himself around. SC certainly didn't think so in his interview. He said that they had had requests to speak to LJ, and when LJ was informed he said he wasn't ready to move on.

Clubs who appoint quickly have probably been intending to sack their manager for some time and have had time to check out the market. Some are able to take managers from other clubs, others have to wait.

Who lead you to believe LJ was touting himself around. SC certainly didn't think so in his interview. He said that they had had requests to speak to LJ, and when LJ was informed he said he wasn't ready to move on.

Clubs who appoint quickly have probably been intending to sack their manager for some time and have had time to check out the market. Some are able to take managers from other clubs, others have to wait.

I can absolutely guarantee that Johnson was touting himself around.....he was interviewed for at least 3 other jobs and made the shortlist for Brighton