New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard the GK coach has been told he won't be being kept by the new manager as he has his own staff coming in. Don't shoot the messenger just what I heard on the grapevine. So we may know shortly.

Shame because he has been well & truly screwed over by the previous management. And Im pretty sure any Manager who is playing in Prem now, cannot come in as player manager as that would count as a transfer?

Dowie would lift the mood, and the crowd, more than most.

I hope it's a swift appointment either way.

Fear we've created an illusion of time. Understand we've got to make right choice with our resources.

But the players will drift in limbo, and I reckon some of them are drifting already with one eye on where they'll be playing next season.

But my main fear is that taking longer to decide, as the club drifts towards the dropzone, makes the job less desireable.

Plus the play-off hopes drifting away with such a whimper could have a bad affect on next srason's gate, and the players we could attract in the summer.

We need to finish as high as poss so that, with the stand, we look like a club with ambition.

The really annoying thing, and it's worrying if this will be the hangover from this season, is the frustration of the play-off chase.

Ppl saying they were always out if our reach is absolute rubbish.

This was a relatively poor L1 this season, a real opportunity.

And what's ultimately cost us this season isn't budgets or injuries, it's ourselves.

If we'd even had a :censored:e record against the bottom four ( eight points out of 21?), not a horrific one, we'd be firmly in the play-offs.

Poor managerial tactics, subs and formations have cost us on some occasions.

But I think it chiefly points to what LJ highlighted just before he was off, mental strength.

It's almost as if theres a psychological acceptance little Oldham, unlike 'big' Sheff U or even Barnsley ffs, can't do it.

When these struggling teams play us - even if we're sixth, they've played against us like we're 16th. They haven't given us the 'respect' or don't have the fear of when they play a Sheff U or even Peterborough, even when those teams below us in the table and our away fans are just as loud.

And our players - the way we've started the games seemingly in fear and unable to accept the pressure of us, for once, being expected to win - haven't been strong enough to deliver the composure required for our playing style.

But in fairness to the players, the December blip and training ground talk and upheaval about both Ched Evans and LJ leaving has probably played a huge role in the slide of our season also.

I hope a new man can spark a finish on a positive note.

Sorry for the essay!

You only have to look at how quickly Barnsley have gone from looking like possible relegation candidates to being outside the playoffs places on goal difference to see that a quick (not rushed) appointment for Latics could be the difference between drifting into the bottom half and mounting a challenge for top six.

Crouch, P. Age 34, Stoke City & England

Jelavic, N. Age 29, Hull City & Croatia

Naismith, S. Age 28, Everton & Scotland

Zamora, B. Age 32, Queens Park Rangers & England

Nugent, D. Age 29, Leicester City & England

Drogba, D. Age 36, Chelsea & Ivory Coast

Lambert, R. Age 33, Liverpool & England

Defoe, J. Age 32, Sunderland & England

Samaras, G. Age 30, West Bromwich Albion & Greece

Odemwingie, P. Age 33, Stoke City & Nigeria

Ameobi, Sh. Age 33, Crystal Palace & Nigeria

Agree with the others, there are only 1 or 2 that would increase the crowd by their appointment. None of whom seem very realistic.

I think the only appointment that would have increased the crowd would have been Paul Scholes

Agree

Lionel Messi might have added half a dozen.

Agree, but when he lost one we would be back down to our usual hardcore...!

I agree with the Barnsley comment......In 2 weeks they went after Swindon boss, agreed a deal with Di Canio but pulled out and then went for LJ and in 4 weeks are closing in on a playoff spot.....

we take our time, lose the momentum and will probably end up in a relegation dogfight.

Come on Simon get cracking or you will lose even more fans

I agree with the Barnsley comment......In 2 weeks they went after Swindon boss, agreed a deal with Di Canio but pulled out and then went for LJ and in 4 weeks are closing in on a playoff spot.....

we take our time, lose the momentum and will probably end up in a relegation dogfight.

Come on Simon get cracking or you will lose even more fans

Barnsley won 3 games with a stand in coach before LJ arrived.

If we signed a current player he wouldn't be able to play for us this season anyway......lets be honest this is total bollocks

What would happen if his current contract was cancelled by mutual consent? Would that not make him a free agent and available?

What would happen if his current contract was cancelled by mutual consent? Would that not make him a free agent and available?

In that case I'd be happy with Peter Crouch as player manager, as long as his family attend games to support him :wink:

Edited by laticsrblue

No harm in BP confirming the name so I suspect it's bollocks too. I can't see us signing a Prem player as player manager unless you mean ex-Prem and ex by about 5 years or so.

I did hear today that Dowie isn't on as much as we thought he was so he may still be in the frame.....

Surely if Dowie was the man he'd be in by now

I would've thought so but also would've thought the local press would've confirmed he's dropped out by now.

Him and SC met over weekend so if no news either way today then talks may well be progressing....

More chance of Dowie joining us than Drogba