New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what you know, does it seem likely that there will be a new manager in by next week's game?

Very little chance mate......As it stands Dowie would be the quickest and he would still have contractual issues to overcome although not very difficult.

It only took Barnsley 2 weeks to appoint a new manager, and included not being allowed to speak to their first choice.

Kuqis record is pretty mediocre for a season. I think the club were in financial difficulties, but that's not exactly different here is it. Would suggest his motivational skills are not all that.

Won 7 games in a full season equivalent.

TEAM FROM TO GAMES WON DRAWN LOST

Honka 15 Feb, 2014 Present 35 7 13 15

Edited by singe

If Rickie Lambert or Bobby Zamora wanted the job as a player/manager basis I am sure that it would spark a good deal of interest.

A player that is capable of scoring goals in the Premiership this season and potentially for England willing to pull on a Latics shirt is not exciting?

why are people talking about Lamabart? He is 1 yr in to a 2 or 3 year deal with his home town club and is now a regular in the England squad.(unlikely to continue)

Why would he give up a what? 30k plus per week contract early to come here?

If Rickie Lambert or Bobby Zamora wanted the job as a player/manager basis I am sure that it would spark a good deal of interest.

A player that is capable of scoring goals in the Premiership this season and potentially for England willing to pull on a Latics shirt is not exciting?

Not remotely exciting because it won't happen. It's based on a rumour from one poster on here that doesn't offer a name with no likely candidates based on the profile offered. A wind up. Edited by Twisbrogan

Can't see the point of waiting beyond this week unless we have a humdinger lined up for the end of season when we will have to wait until after 24th May.

On my plea for more information could someone at Boundary Park make an announcement to end the speculation and remove all hope that we might win Saturday.

Dowie would lift the mood, and the crowd, more than most.

I hope it's a swift appointment either way.

Fear we've created an illusion of time. Understand we've got to make right choice with our resources.

But the players will drift in limbo, and I reckon some of them are drifting already with one eye on where they'll be playing next season.

But my main fear is that taking longer to decide, as the club drifts towards the dropzone, makes the job less desireable.

Plus the play-off hopes drifting away with such a whimper could have a bad affect on next srason's gate, and the players we could attract in the summer.

We need to finish as high as poss so that, with the stand, we look like a club with ambition.

The really annoying thing, and it's worrying if this will be the hangover from this season, is the frustration of the play-off chase.

Ppl saying they were always out if our reach is absolute rubbish.

This was a relatively poor L1 this season, a real opportunity.

And what's ultimately cost us this season isn't budgets or injuries, it's ourselves.

If we'd even had a :censored:e record against the bottom four ( eight points out of 21?), not a horrific one, we'd be firmly in the play-offs.

Poor managerial tactics, subs and formations have cost us on some occasions.

But I think it chiefly points to what LJ highlighted just before he was off, mental strength.

It's almost as if theres a psychological acceptance little Oldham, unlike 'big' Sheff U or even Barnsley ffs, can't do it.

When these struggling teams play us - even if we're sixth, they've played against us like we're 16th. They haven't given us the 'respect' or don't have the fear of when they play a Sheff U or even Peterborough, even when those teams below us in the table and our away fans are just as loud.

And our players - the way we've started the games seemingly in fear and unable to accept the pressure of us, for once, being expected to win - haven't been strong enough to deliver the composure required for our playing style.

But in fairness to the players, the December blip and training ground talk and upheaval about both Ched Evans and LJ leaving has probably played a huge role in the slide of our season also.

I hope a new man can spark a finish on a positive note.

Sorry for the essay!

So:

A big name player

Who would draw the crowds/amaze

Still playing regularly in the prem

Ex international

A striker

Possibly at the end of season.

I still have no idea!

Crouch, P. Age 34, Stoke City & England

Jelavic, N. Age 29, Hull City & Croatia

Naismith, S. Age 28, Everton & Scotland

Zamora, B. Age 32, Queens Park Rangers & England

Nugent, D. Age 29, Leicester City & England

Drogba, D. Age 36, Chelsea & Ivory Coast

Lambert, R. Age 33, Liverpool & England

Defoe, J. Age 32, Sunderland & England

Samaras, G. Age 30, West Bromwich Albion & Greece

Odemwingie, P. Age 33, Stoke City & Nigeria

Ameobi, Sh. Age 33, Crystal Palace & Nigeria

Edited by lookersstandandy

Zamora, Lambert, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Crouch, Nolan, Shola Ameobi etc. I probably wouldn't bother to make an extra effort to get to their first game, never mind buy a season ticket because they're player-manager

Either BP's source reckons we're similarly sized to Stalybridge Celtic or he's on about somebody more high-profile than that

Edited by NewBlue

Zamora, Lambert, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Crouch, Nolan, Shola Ameobi etc. I probably wouldn't bother to make an extra effort to get to their first game, never mind buy a season ticket because they're player-manager

Either BP's source reckons we're similarly sized to Stalybridge Celtic or he's on about somebody more high-profile than that

This. i don't think anyone fits the description in terms of amazing and attracting the crowds. Scholes (if he were to return to playing) is one of the only people who could have that effect but he was one of the greatest players of his generation. And he's ruled himself out. No one else of that calibre is coming anywhere near the Latics post.