New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 crap candidates... :shakeit: I know whoever we appoint will be a gamble, If the club think Holden is a candidate we might as well give up now. I would rather get a Rosler/Guttuso type with Deano as No2 and let him learn his craft. None of them mentioned will ship season tickets, if we keep the core of the squad and get a couple of additions we have a good shout for the playoffs next season, we just need decent season tickets sales to offer the wages to push us up there. Them 3 wont give us that.

Not even April the 1st! As others have said, any of the 3 might end up being successful but we need an appointment that will spark a bit of enthusiasm this time round. With all due respect to those mentioned on the back of the Chron, appoint any of them and we'll have done the opposite.

This article smacks of dampening expectations which the:

- optimist in me is a piece of clever propganda to get massive excitement when a surprise announcement like Rosler is pulled out of the bag to create a massive feel good factor and good ST sales

- pessimist in me is trying to make people feel we got a good deal with Yates as the best of a terrible bunch

We could appoint a three headed beast of the spirit of Shankly, Ramsay and Robson and 'Latics fans' would still find reason to moan at the appointment and not renew their season ticket.

Corney has money on this, not us. If he wants to appoint someone who most people couldn't pick out of a line up then so be it, good luck to the new man. Simply being a name that people know is not grounds for appointment. The people of Oldham don't get their arse down to BP when it is a £5 and we're playing well, sod them Corney, appoint the person who has stood out from the process your on.

If we appointed someone with a 'big name' sure it might get an extra few 100 season tickets, but does it guarantee success? And isn't success what we all want?

I might be the only person, but I see it the way that Corney is actually looking deeper beyond the candidates 'big name' and looking at their managerial credentials, personality, and how they will fit into the fabric of the club. Gattuso? is he really a manager? Rosler? doubtful he'd want to work on a shoestring, and be off if any bigger job offer came. Dowie? Best candidate in my eyes, but obviously not going to happen.

Granted the three candidates named aren't exactly exciting names, but I don't understand the notion of 'not buying my season ticket next year if they're appointed'?

At the end of the day, we support those boys wearing blue (sometimes with a hint of tangerine) no matter what so called manager is in charge..

Paul Ashworth might not be a big name, but he's an interesting character if his wikipedia page is anything to go by:

"He is married to a Latvian wife, Nataliya, and the couple have twelve children. He loves old episodes of Dads Army and is known to dress up as his favourite Emmerdale characters for hilarious banter. Relaxes by taking part in an NWA tribute group"

If we appointed someone with a 'big name' sure it might get an extra few 100 season tickets, but does it guarantee success? And isn't success what we all want?

I might be the only person, but I see it the way that Corney is actually looking deeper beyond the candidates 'big name' and looking at their managerial credentials, personality, and how they will fit into the fabric of the club. Gattuso? is he really a manager? Rosler? doubtful he'd want to work on a shoestring, and be off if any bigger job offer came. Dowie? Best candidate in my eyes, but obviously not going to happen.

Granted the three candidates named aren't exactly exciting names, but I don't understand the notion of 'not buying my season ticket next year if they're appointed'?

At the end of the day, we support those boys wearing blue (sometimes with a hint of tangerine) no matter what so called manager is in charge..

Think you might be giving Corney too much credit there.

He's happy to have us bumping along in the lower reaches of this division, asset stripping as he goes.

After Holden's all talk about going for the jugular at Coventry and defending most of the game it smacks of not being capable of turning words into action.The short list is probably what we will get, a manager who can just about keep us in this division. Advanced season ticket sales will fall yet again I feel as aspirations appear to be low.

Just an alternative view on the three reported candidates (mainly referring to Ashworth)....

Is it not possible that Corney has seen sense and is going for an approach that is more FC Midtjylland and Brentford (of next season) where decisions are going to be made through the use of statistical analysis and having several people involved in the decision making process (re. signings, tactics, post-match press conferences etc.)?

Because if that's the case, Ashworth may well have the most experience in man-management (which would be his main role) and therefore would actually stand out as the ideal candidate.

I know there'll be a lot of you who disagree with this approach because "that's not how football works" but, in truth, it should be. To paraphrase Billy Beane: In what other organization other than sport do you leave the fate of the company entirely up to a middle manager?

What an uninspiring list of candidates. The guy who nearly got Cheltenham relegated. The guy no one has heard of and the guy who so far has been average at best

I haven't a clue how such an impressive list of applicants (Corey's words) can end up with a short list of these thre, when Corney has said that it's crucial that we get the right man to make the most of the new stand.

Just an alternative view on the three reported candidates (mainly referring to Ashworth)....

Is it not possible that Corney has seen sense and is going for an approach that is more FC Midtjylland and Brentford (of next season) where decisions are going to be made through the use of statistical analysis and having several people involved in the decision making process (re. signings, tactics, post-match press conferences etc.)?

Because if that's the case, Ashworth may well have the most experience in man-management (which would be his main role) and therefore would actually stand out as the ideal candidate.

I know there'll be a lot of you who disagree with this approach because "that's not how football works" but, in truth, it should be. To paraphrase Billy Beane: In what other organization other than sport do you leave the fate of the company entirely up to a middle manager?

Ashworth's appointment wouldn't change that, would it? I suspect the real reason, though, is that he's cheap. So are the other two.

I wonder with all the :censored: that's been stirred uo again recently if John Barnes, Paul Ince or even Sol Campbell applied for the job or are the club fundamentally racist because we didn't approach them.

Would be very interesting to see a list of jobs Sol Campbell has applied for in football as he is very vocal about not getting jobs...

Didn't Ashworth say he was a tactical coach at Barnet often not agreeing with Barry Fry who was purely a man manager?

Edited by BP1960

I bet you'd love Barry Fry here BP...

That's more like it, he used pub team tactics according to Ashworth, I think he meant going for goals.

Sooner that than the boring chessboard tactics we have seen here in recent years.

Edited by BP1960