New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stanley30

From what I've heard it's Yates and the rest is paper talk. Currently in negotiations a will keep Holden as Assistant. Should have an announcement after this weekend. He's been watching the last few matches and evaluating the squad, hence no loan players. Am reasonably happy with this

From what I've heard it's Yates and the rest is paper talk. Currently in negotiations a will keep Holden as Assistant. Should have an announcement after this weekend. He's been watching the last few matches and evaluating the squad, hence no loan players. Am reasonably happy with this

It sounds from Matt Chambers' comments over the last few weeks that it's likely to be Yates. He was definitely at the Rochdale game...

ST? :censored: that if them are the leading candidates.

Blimey how will you have coped if you had to endure:

Frizzell. Rookie manager. No one gave hima chance, everyone protested.

Royle. Rookie Manager. (we were down to 3,000 after protest about how Frizzell was treated)

Graeme Sharp. Rookie Manager. Howls of protest about how he could not drive over from Liverpool

Andy Ritchie. Rookie Manager. Well not quite. But may were underwhelmed

Mick Wadsworth. Rookie manager. not quite. One league team for less than a year. PLerny of protests about cheap appointment

Iain Dowie. Rookie Manager. At least people had heard of him. But protet of cheap appointment and lack of ambition

Brian Talbot. Rookie League Manger. Protests only had money & only experienced non league and we wanted someone proven promotion

John Sheridan. Rookie manager. Protests h was tooc lose to the players. No experience. Cheap appointment

Paul Dickov. Rookie Manager. cheap appointment. Protests of lack of experience.

Lee Johnson. Rookie Manager. Well wow, how can you not remember the furore of his appointment, cheapest of cheap.

History shows it will be a rookie manager.

Penney, Moore and Neil Warnock are the arguably the experience managers of recent decades and none of them ended well. Moore being the possible highlight to some.

I don't know further back than that, others might.

Went to bed last night with all this talk about Warburton buy-out, Rosler is as manager etc. (where are these posters with this "source" now?)

Day full of meetings so no chance to check news

Got back, logged on and it's a three-way tussle between these three... totally and utterly underwhelmed

Over 72 applicants and this it?! Clearly no manager budget of note so why all this talk of Dowie, Scholes etc by the club?

Will always support the club but this is a massive opportunity missed if we don't get someone motivational and aspirational for this current crop of players

Brian Talbot. Rookie League Manger. Protests only had money & only experienced non league and we wanted someone proven promotion

Not quite true, he managed West Brom when Royle managed us..... However, I largely agree with your post. I want the best for my beloved football club just like the next man/woman, however we need a reality check. We can't afford a proven manager.

To manage Latics you've got to be willing to work all hours God sends for a relative pittance.... ONLY a rookie or someone with little other choice / something to prove would want this.

Rosler, Warburton, Billy Davies, Dowie, Scholes, Dave Jones, Adkins and so on..... Don't need the hassle and have/will be able to find better employment elsewhere.... Not necessarily as a Manager.

I'm willing to give anyone a chance.... And I'll never desert my team.... It's MY f@&£kin team for crying out loud.

i agree with this completely. As soon as the bookies published their odds everyone knew there was no way we were getting anyone on the list, but as time has gone on people seem to have convinced themselves that we were going for a name. This was never going to happen and now people are considering not getting a season ticket because we will have a no name manager, exactly what we had last time and the time before

And season ticket sales fell on each occasion as they will again.

I knew I should have applied for the job looking at this shortlist. Of all the times to not bother putting my application in. :censored:sticks.

My thoughts exactly. No offence, but if that's the cream of the crop then we really are going stale. I've never managed any sort of football team, but I've watched Latics for 40 years, I reckon I could give them a run for their money!

Surely this isn't going to be another case of missing the boat ?

Rosler, Warburton, Billy Davies, Dowie, Scholes, Dave Jones, Adkins and so on..... Don't need the hassle and have/will be able to find better employment elsewhere.... Not necessarily as a Manager.

Where's the hassle?

The club is supposedly debt free and due to start getting more income from the new stand; Corney generally seems to be reasonably supportive of all his managers; a few tweaks aside the squad seems to be in place for next season; expectation is relatively low...I think it'd be quite a good gig for some of those names, if they're looking to get back into management.

I'd be satisfied with Yates.

It's not ideal that in an summer where the club has to display it's (supposed) ambition there is no marquee name on the shortlist, but I can't think of many reasons to overlook or disparage him. He has done a good job on a small budget at two clubs, knows the market well and has by all accounts played some decent football in trying conditions.

Now what I do oppose is this myth that we somehow owe Holden something. That he should be appointed with an experienced assistant or that he should be made number two to whoever becomes manager is daft. If he has interviewed brilliantly and has convinced Corney, like Johnson, that he can move the club forwards then fair enough - I have no objection to him being offered the permanent role - but that he should simply be given the job because he didn't get taken to Barnsley with Wright is ludicrous, especially when there is competition with a greater track record.

It can be a lottery, especially for clubs like Latics, when appointing a manager, and there is no certainty that Yates would be a success, but Yates has displayed that he has the ability to do achieve and I don't see him being a bigger risk than any other potential manager.

Edited by NewBlue

Seeing sense? Brentford? They're sacking a man who's taken them from league one to challenging for the playoffs in the Championship the following season!

Isn't that his point though? That they aren't doing that? They are sacking a middle manager that they can replace with better (in their opinion).

If this is what Brentford are doing, they must look at the fixation with managers/coaches with hilarity.

Well, unless they are wrong.

Where's the hassle?

...having to get involved with painting the stands ready for the new season.

Ringing up other clubs to borrow equipment and/or training facilities.

3 people sharing a 6 foot by 10 foot office - this is what LJ had, I saw it.

....this kinda stuff that is inevitable at clubs with an average home gate of 3,500.

Larger budget League 1 and Championship clubs won't have these problems, or if they do, the manager won't have to deal with them.

Edited by lookersstandandy

Where's the hassle?

The club is supposedly debt free and due to start getting more income from the new stand; Corney generally seems to be reasonably supportive of all his managers; a few tweaks aside the squad seems to be in place for next season; expectation is relatively low...I think it'd be quite a good gig for some of those names, if they're looking to get back into management.

...having to get involved with painting the stands ready for the new season.

Ringing up other clubs to borrow equipment and/or training facilities.

3 people sharing a 6 foot by 10 foot office - this is what LJ had, I saw it.

....this kinda stuff that is inevitable at clubs with an average home gate of 3,500.

Larger budget League 1 and Championship clubs won't have these problems, or if they do, the manager won't have to deal with them.

I would hope we would steer clear of any manager more bothered about the latter than the former. It is now clear LJ did some stuff for the PR not because had to. He chose to paint the stand. Good on him, but his choice. Championship clubs borrow training facilities and equipment , covers etc. I would hope that any manager we had would not be too bothered by the size of his office, and would not spend the majority of his time there. Why not use the Boardroom, unless he was trying to make a point to you...

We are what we are, no manager could possibly rock up to Boundary Park expecting anything less. If he does, he'd be the most under prepared manager ever.

We are what we are, no manager could possibly rock up to Boundary Park expecting anything less.

I agree.... and my point is.....

Rosler (Brentford) has been there..... and now wants better.....

Warburton (Ditto).....

Adkins (Scunthorpe).....

Dowie (Latics).....

Billy Davies (Motherwell, the SPL is potless).....

Dave Jones (Stockport).....

We have to be realistic..... these managers want better facilities, less hassle and more money that we can't / would be willing to pay.....

Our top player is on thereabouts £2k per week.... roughly £100k per year.

What do we think Rosler was on at Wigan...?

Adkins at Saints....?

Dowie at Sky...?

Billy Davies at Derby & Forest....?

Dave Jones at Wolves, Cardiff and Weds....?

Minimum £150k?

What do you reckon we'd pay.... £40k maximum....?

Why would any of them want the job.... harder work, less money, less chance of success, more damage to their reputations, even less chance of further employment.

Singe's original post tells us what we need to know...... a list of our full time managers over the last 45 years....

Manager Rookie?

Jimmy Frizzell Y

Joe Royle Y

Graeme Sharp Y

Neil Warnock N

Andy Ritchie Y

Mick Wadsworth Y

Iain Dowie Y

Brian Talbot N

Ronnie Moore N

John Sheridan Y

Dave Penney N

Paul Dickov Y

Lee Johnson Y

If we can pay a player 100k a year (and no doubt Evans would have been higher) then we should be able to pay a manager that too.

Rosler's stock isn't particularly high, not an unrealistic target in theory IMO.

My only beef with Yates is that if he is the man no then why wasn't he in February? Can only think it would be a contractual issue.

If we can pay a player 100k a year (and no doubt Evans would have been higher) then we should be able to pay a manager that too.

Rosler's stock isn't particularly high, not an unrealistic target in theory IMO.

My only beef with Yates is that if he is the man no then why wasn't he in February? Can only think it would be a contractual issue.

And they are out of work so will need some income.